PDA

View Full Version : 2500 point themed tournament list; all mounted Orcs. Thoughts?

Thaddius
09-05-2013, 01:09
Hey there all, I plan on taking this list to the Bayou Battles in Houston this August. The list isn't set yet as it's still being tweaked and wall so I figured getting some good old Warseer advise could help. With this list being themed it won't get me to the top tables or anything but by the same token, I don't want to give the games away. Any thoughts or comments will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Savage Orc Great Shaman level 4
War Boar
Fencer's Blades
Lucky Shrunken Head

Savage Orc Shaman level 2
War Boar
Dispel Scroll

Savage Orc Big Boss (Battle Standard Bearer) Great Weapon
War Boar
Armour of Silvered Steel

21 Savage Orc Boar Boyz Big'Uns Spear, Shield
FullCommand
Razor Standard

10 Goblin Wolf Riders

10 Goblin Wolf Riders

5 Goblin Wolf Riders

5 Goblin Wolf Riders

10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders

10 Orc Boar Boyz w/Spears
FullCommand
Banner of Eternal Flame

FullCommand
Banner of Eternal Flame

Mangler Squig

Mangler Squig

rapterz
09-05-2013, 03:17
I like the theme what with its high mobility and killy nature. But it seems you lack a real anvil unit, and only have hammers. Unfortunately, you'd have to give up your theme to fit in a block of dudes. Maybe this will work though, what with getting flank charges and having strong charges.

danny-d-b
09-05-2013, 05:15
you have 2 banners of the eternal flame - other than that looks an interesting list- might be worth incorporating some trolls or something to act as an anvil

Thaddius
09-05-2013, 11:26
Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't pay attention after the copy and paste. The lack of a anvil unit is a big concern for me though, I'm just not sure if I should give up my theme for it. My other worry is big monsters, that's why I'm thinking about putting some sort of shooting in. But that would lead me to the same problem as the anvil unit; a break in the armies theme.

Fighting Newfoundlander
09-05-2013, 20:50
I notice that the Shaman w/ the head is mounted, yet the savages are not. Perhaps he could be on foot if that's where you're putting him. No anvil unit is a problem, but managable and I see no way around it w/in your theme. Shooting could work v. monsters, though so could the boar riders. One option would be to have a stone thrower or some chukkas that look like they just came off of wagons/chariots, with wolves hanging about nearby. Some modelling to make them fit with the theme.

Also, given the theme I wonder if you've considered putting in some goblin chariots. Might give you the added punch you need if those riders get held up for more than a turn fighting infantry. Nice list though. Excellent theme.

Thaddius
11-05-2013, 16:33
Well I've updated the list a little. The reason for the Black Orc BSB is due to the fact that main unit failed its animosity test twice in a row! So it seemed a better idea to include him an he would be the "voice of reason" for the rest of the savages. I also added 2 doomdivers which I'm going to model a specific way so it sticks with the theme and took out the squigs. Thoughts on the updated list?

Wurrzag

Savage Orc Shaman level 1
War Boar
Lucky Shrunken Head

Black Orc Big Boss (Battle Standard Bearer)
War Boar
Talisman of Protection

19 Savage Orc Boar Boyz Big'Uns Spear, Shield
FullCommand
Razor Standard

10 Goblin Wolf Riders

10 Goblin Wolf Riders

5 Goblin Wolf Riders

5 Goblin Wolf Riders

FullCommand
Banner of Eternal Flame

FullCommand

Doomdiver

Doomdiver

Druid Stone
12-05-2013, 11:09
Hi, I really like this list, a lot. Things I would change are, drop the 2 Doom Divers, seeing as it is a mounted themed list, don't get me wrong they are awesome... But you could get 3 goblin chariots instead with a few points to spare. Next I would probably drop 5 wolf riders and spend the points on giving the others bows or spears &/or shields..
Other than that, list looks awesome.

Fighting Newfoundlander
12-05-2013, 12:10
The Shaman with the head is still mounted. Seems to me he should be on foot if going with the savages, and if not, then one of the boar units should be made savages to take advantage of the head. I wouldn't want him mounted in with the savages. Just too tempting for you opponent when you don't get a LOS roll with him. But |otherwise I really like the list. I think I'd keep the doom divers, as they're great against some of the stuff that will be tough for this list, especially 1+/2+ cav.

Thaddius
12-05-2013, 13:55
Druid Stone - I know the doomdivers don't really fit in with the army but, I'm going to try and model them so they at least fit the theme on the table top. The list isn't finished yet so they could still get taken out.

Fighting Newfoundlander - The shaman with the head is mounted because he is going to go into 19 Savage Orc Boar Boyz Big'Uns unit. I wanted to stay away from the current build of 50 savages on foot with shaman so this seemed to be the next best choice.

The unit held up well this weekend. I was out of position (stupid hand of Gork not rolling high enough) and was charged from the front but a unit of 9 Ogres and flanked by 9 Ironguts w/ BSB and SM in it. Rolls were average on both side but it was my BSB that allowed me to win. I had him make way to the flank which the Ironguts charged and we have able to shrug off enough wounds that I won combat by 3, not bad I must say.

Fighting Newfoundlander
12-05-2013, 21:46
I don't know why I didn't see the 'boar' part. That list is just nasty. Let us know how it does against some different match ups.

Wharfrat1979
13-05-2013, 00:08
How have the spider riders been holding up? It would seem you could get a couple of chariots for their cost. An arachnarok would be a nice anvil unit if needed.

Rudra34
13-05-2013, 01:17
How have the spider riders been holding up? It would seem you could get a couple of chariots for their cost. An arachnarok would be a nice anvil unit if needed.

I assume the spider riders are there not only tactically, but to help fill out core.

Jind_Singh
13-05-2013, 07:41
Personally I'd...

Grab Snagla and stick him with a 15 strong unit of Spider Riders - that's nasty AND effective!

Stick a Warboss on a Wyvern just to act as cannon fodder

Grab an Arachnorck Spider to give you much needed punch - and act as fodder

Drop all warmachines

Grab a chariot or 2

You won't need as many boar boyz as you need tricks - and an all mounted list needs just that one smash unit - supported by chaff.

The smash unit would be a unit of Boar boyz - 20 is fine - throwing in some character support. I personally prefer normal boyz over savages just for the better saves you can get

Thaddius
13-05-2013, 16:52
Wharfrat1979 - Yeah, the spider riders are in for two reasons. First, they are there to fill up core points as Rudra34 suggested. Secondly, they are there in case the Watchtower scenario comes up. So far they have been doing well, most people seem to forget that they can move over trees and such.

Jind_Singh - I thought of the wyvern list initially which is what led me to the all cav list. I've thought about just taking one unit of boar boyz and filling the rest of the list with what you've listed but it just doesn't interest me. The reason for the savages as opposed to the regular orc boar boyz is the 5+ ward they will get from the head on the shaman. Well that and the extra attack they get is a nice bonus.