PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Empire models

Valden
09-05-2013, 13:38
This is a rather specific question, but does anyone have Warlord 'Pike and Shotte' models? Specifically, I would be grateful for a pic comparing some of their models to Empire State Troops/Handgunners; I'm not sure if the scales will look alright together. Alternatively, any other modelling companies who do equally scaled Empire substitutes would be appreciated. Thanks

IcedCrow
09-05-2013, 13:45
Perry miniatures.

Pretty much any historical miniatures can work for empire.

Valden
09-05-2013, 16:16
My main concern is scale though; are they going to look out of place next to existing empire models?

FashaTheDog
09-05-2013, 16:25
I use Crocodile's Spartans for spearmen in my Empire and they look perfect next to GW minis. Plus they're Spartans and that makes them all kinds of awesome.

As for the specific minis you asked about, Google images shows a few mounted on the bases GW uses and they appear pretty darn close in scale from my judgement. If you cannot find any help with side by side photo comparisons, a safe way to test them without being burned is to buy a war machine like the cannon. That way if the scales are off just enough, the fact that they are going to be on their own as their own unit, and often way off in the back anyway, will hide any scale discrepancy.

Vazalaar
09-05-2013, 16:37
My main concern is scale though; are they going to look out of place next to existing empire models?

Yes, they look out of scale (Perry WotR). I own both.

Athelassan
09-05-2013, 20:21
WhiteKnight, from the Warhammer-Empire forum, has an excellent guide to alternative Empire models here: http://whiteknightminiatureimperium.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/All
There's also a thread on the W-E forum itself with many pictures of scale comparisons and the like, but I can't find it right now.

mrtn
09-05-2013, 23:10
I have an army's worth of them (see the Thirty Years War link in my sig) and will use a couple of GW models in it. They are the right height, but the GW models are much more heroic, with gigantic hands and weapons in comparison. Some people mind, some don't. I don't have any of the recent empire models, this (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mrtnw/media/Miniatures2/ThirtyYearsWar/tyw3.jpg.html) is the closest I get, with an old halberdier compared to Warlord models. I might use the army as a counts-as Empire army in the future, and won't worry about scales too much. I mean, if I'm mainly playing orcs and ogres, does it really matter that my models doesn't have giant hands?

m1acca1551
10-05-2013, 04:52
Perry miniatures are by far the best they also are working on foot knights that look amazing, check out the plastic work bench.
Game zone miniatures are also very nice, pricey and metal but by the looks of it are moving to resin
Pike and shot style I can't comment