PDA

View Full Version : Breath Weapon on Chariot

Ero-Senin
09-05-2013, 14:43
If a character riding a chariot uses a breath weapon would you put the start of the template at the very front of the chariot base (increasing the range a bit) or would you measure it from the character himself? I thinking probably the former but I just wanted to check. Probably more one for the chaos players because I cant think of many other chariot riding charactres can have breath weapons.

theunwantedbeing
09-05-2013, 15:09
Technically...it's impossible to place.

You have to follow a few rules when placing the template
1. It has to be entirely within the models forward arc
2. It cannot touch any friendly models or models in close combat
3. It has to be placed touching the creatures mouth

Normally however, placing the template touching the models own base, within its front arc is deemed perfectly acceptable.
Otherwise models that lacked a head that overhangs their base to the front would be unable to shoot with their breath weapons.

I can't find any FAQ or Errata to provide an official answer at the moment.

Zoolander
09-05-2013, 15:44
You always measure from the model's base. In all circumstances.

Lord Inquisitor
09-05-2013, 15:53
You always measure from the model's base. In all circumstances.

The exact rule here is:

"Place the flame template so that it lies entirely within the model's forward arc, with the narrow end touching the creature's mouth, and so it is not touching any friendly units or enemy units in close combat."

Also note the diagram on page 67. The flame template is clearly not in contact with the model's base, indeed you're getting about 1/2" extra range out of it.

I've run into this with my soulgrinder, whose weapon is a good way back on the model. The other side of this issue, what if you've got a model with a neck that stands out quite a bit from the base? E.g. by simply mounting the model forward on the base or by converting it.

Ero-Senin
10-05-2013, 07:53
This is exactly what i mean, I remember it saying from the models mouth but from the front of the base seems more practical.

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-05-2013, 01:24
Hmmmmmmm? Think I am going to start converting my Salamanders to have snake necks that reach 3 inches over the front of the base. :shifty:

VampireOrcElf
12-05-2013, 02:52
Hmmmmmmm? Think I am going to start converting my Salamanders to have snake necks that reach 3 inches over the front of the base. :shifty:

Praise jebus

Lord Inquisitor
12-05-2013, 04:07

They'll look right at home if you have any 40k converted land raider redeemers with 12" long flamer barrels. ;)

FatTrucker
12-05-2013, 06:37
I always measure from the base. The model might be static but obviously its meant to be moving about. Measuring from the base provides consistency.