PDA

View Full Version : Naming Vehicles

Ananiel
09-05-2013, 16:34
Hello all,

I was looking for some input for vehicle names for my Dark Angels (w/ some Blood Angels) army. I have some ideas but was looking for feedback and other ideas from anyone who cares to post constructive comments.

So far I am pretty sure about these ideas/themes:

1) Rhino Hulls -- Named after British 'I' class battlecrusiers circa 1916. The names are cool, and they tended to explode too... (Indefatigable, Invincible, Indominable....)

2) Ravenwing Speeders -- Edgar Allen Poe works like Pendulum or Annabelle Lee......

3) Any Deathwing vehicles with a Inquisitional like theme

No clue about my two Dreadnoughts or the Baal Pred and if I should diliniate the Rhino hulls.....

Thanks,
Ananiel

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 16:45
Dreads names after military F's? Formidable etc?

and Edward for teh Baal Pred

Gingerwerewolf
09-05-2013, 17:04
Traditionally most space marine dreadnoughts keep the name of the Marine interred inside them

Also most Vehicles from the Imperium of Man (Space Marines, Guard, Inquisition and Mechanicus) name their other vehicles in Latin

The Titan Dies Irae (Gods Wrath), Fiat Ignem (Let there be Fire) or similar. I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_(full) to be very useful for my armies.

MajorWesJanson
09-05-2013, 19:14
I use religious and medieval titles and terms for my predators, based on what type-
Destructors are all As- Apostle, Archon, Acolyte
Annihilators are Ds- Disciple, Deacon, Deverish
(Those two should be reversed, really, but too late now)
Baals Assault Cannons are Bs- Bishop, Baronet, Boyar
Baal Flamestorms are Cs to fill in the gap- Caliph, Conde
Executioners are Es- Emir
Conversion Beamers are Fs- Friar (which also doubles as a pun)

djhowitzer
09-05-2013, 20:05
i have a warwalker called s***kicker. becase it has kicked a leman russ and a bunch of chimeras to death and fought lord zufor to a standstill for 3 turns

Clang
09-05-2013, 20:28
I agree that dreads would normally keep the name of the marine inside.

Other vehicles could be named after: famous battles (e.g. 'Siege of Amrital'), famous (dead) soldiers (e.g. Admiral Worgam'), scriptural principles (e.g. Fist of Holy Vengeance'). Fast Attack stuff might use names that suggest speed, e.g. landspeeders might be named after birds of prey? Dark Angels are far too serious to use even slightly humorous names.

A 'mere' Rhino probably wouldn't be named, unless it was the personal vehicle of a senior officer.

Heart
09-05-2013, 20:37
You could go with plan B

Very epic looking vehicles, very unfitting vehicle names~!

Like Snoopy!

Hrw-Amen
09-05-2013, 20:39
I named my landspeeders using different variations on my wife's name.

For tanks that have names I tend to use old style sounding British warship names, same for my Imperial BFG fleet, sometimes I add something like 'ious' onto the end of it make it sound more Gothic'ish.

My Ork stuff tends to get sharp, single word names for stuff like Gruntz, Killz etc.

djhowitzer
09-05-2013, 21:11
You could go with plan B

Very epic looking vehicles, very unfitting vehicle names~!

Like Snoopy!

i am totally doing that when i finally build a marine army. they will be the gay marines, and will all have silly names and be painted pink.

just to mess with people, natch!

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 21:18
i am totally doing that when i finally build a marine army. they will be the gay marines, and will all have silly names and be painted pink.

just to mess with people, natch!

Gay? Silly names? Pink?

so French? ;)

Heart
09-05-2013, 21:21
Well if you are going to use silly names, then I suggest a Chaos army and paint them like evil clowns~

djhowitzer
09-05-2013, 21:23
nope. i plan a ymca, freddy mercury, mans man type marine army. with lots of tashces!

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 21:29
nope. i plan a ymca, freddy mercury, mans man type marine army. with lots of tashces!

1900's style carnival troop?

Heart
09-05-2013, 21:41
If I can I will one day turn my battle sisters in to Catgirls and have very cutesy names for the vehicles <3 Maybe ill pose them all in really kinky ways to mess with some neckbeards >D

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 21:52
If I can I will one day turn my battle sisters in to Catgirls and have very cutesy names for the vehicles <3 Maybe ill pose them all in really kinky ways to mess with some neckbeards >D

why one day? do so now... then i may have a reason to play SoB..

they seriously lack any desire to play them atm..

Heart
09-05-2013, 21:56
why one day? do so now

I would but i lack the skill and motivation to do it. And am waiting to see what new sisterly items come down the line in the future ^.^

Bobthemime
09-05-2013, 22:54
I would but i lack the skill and motivation to do it. And am waiting to see what new sisterly items come down the line in the future ^.^

You have mighty big patience pants.

Fagerlund
09-05-2013, 23:02
It doesn't really matter what you name them, as long as you smash a bottle of champagne on the model before giving it it's name...

Heart
09-05-2013, 23:30
/\ Only if a space capable vehicle and or a boat

Bobthemime
10-05-2013, 00:21
/\ Only if a space capable vehicle and or a boat

a dread isnt space capable?

chuck one out the airlock on direct course for terra.. see how far he goes :P

Missile/Lascannon XD

Cooper97
10-05-2013, 00:26
For the rhino i have some input. I have a full company of Iron Hands and i acquired my names from a) asking people for input b) watching movies for the name of things c) looking through history for cool names of previous vessels such as ships from the spanish armada, cool racing cars or maybe gun names and d) or naming it after historical battles fought by your chosen chapter.

All these things help me name 6 rhinos, 2 land raider's, 1 thunderhawk, 2 land speeder's and 3 drop pods. Hope they help:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Also you could name it after generals and then personalize the vehicle to be only made for your captain (like marnius calgar's land raider)

Heart
10-05-2013, 01:17
a dread isnt space capable?

chuck one out the airlock on direct course for terra.. see how far he goes :P

Missile/Lascannon XD

Beauty XD

Oh snap, i just thought of how id like to see a picture of a wounded Battle sister sitting on the shoulder of a Dread after a battle. Would be kool <3

jakka
10-05-2013, 01:26
i generally name my tanks after tanks in books ive read, the guants ghost series helped alot, its always fun when someone recognizes one of your tanks from one of the books!

MajorWesJanson
10-05-2013, 01:57
i generally name my tanks after tanks in books ive read, the guants ghost series helped alot, its always fun when someone recognizes one of your tanks from one of the books!

Grey Venger is absolutely the most awesome tank in all of 40K. It's a Destroyer Tank Hunter that managed to sneak away from Mkoll, the man who can out-stealth Mandrakes.

the gribbly
10-05-2013, 02:17
Named vehicles are cool but I have only ever named a few over the years and a couple dreads since I tend to make them earn it first. I do believe names hold power though in life and in game.
One of my most memorable games was against a death company dread named Chronos father of all hate. It wrecked my army starting with my psyrifle dread. I poured everything I had into that thing but none could stay its wrath, even after I blew both its arms off it proceeded to catch my inquisitor lords retinue and stomp them all to death. That was sick.

jakka
10-05-2013, 03:19
Grey Venger is absolutely the most awesome tank in all of 40K. It's a Destroyer Tank Hunter that managed to sneak away from Mkoll, the man who can out-stealth Mandrakes.

exactly, so far no one has brought it up but i have the "Grey Venger" and "Two for Flinching" as my two LR, the venger obviously being a vanquisher with the lack of any tank destroyer models in my army its as close as i can get, and the two for flinching being a regular LRBT noone has noticed yet but i love fielding the two of them just for sentimental purposes.

talthar
10-05-2013, 09:21
The Leman Russ my BA used to ally with was called Terminus Est, from the sword Severian carried in "The Book of the New Sun". As I build my IG army I plan to use the sword name theme...Stormbringer, Mournblade, Excalibur, etc. Maybe even Glamdring and Orchrist for vehicles that face the Orks a lot.

Bobthemime
10-05-2013, 11:45
The Leman Russ my BA used to ally with was called Terminus Est, from the sword Severian carried in "The Book of the New Sun". As I build my IG army I plan to use the sword name theme...Stormbringer, Mournblade, Excalibur, etc. Maybe even Glamdring and Orchrist for vehicles that face the Orks a lot.

So your Russ, contains the Destroyer Hive and Typhus?

intercepta
11-05-2013, 16:51
My IG army is being based on a WW2 regiment nicknamed the desert rats so I'm going to name my tanks after the Battleships they used (Warspite I'm saving for my most successful Super heavy though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Warspite_(03))

totgeboren
11-05-2013, 19:56
My Dreadnought is named 'Brother Eligos', from some old daemon from Christian myth. I got a new Helbrute now, so I guess I need to name him too... hmmm...

Other than that, my Traitor Guards have two standard Leman Russ tanks, and they have been called 'Bob' and 'Sagget' since I got them for my LatD in 3ed. :)

Dark Aly
11-05-2013, 20:20
I have a dread called eddie as a homage to rogue trader days