PDA

View Full Version : Demon Base types in Grand tournaments

Ravenar
10-05-2013, 20:18
Hey all,

We play a local fantasy campaign with 14 strong player. We have two demons players. One plays soley fantasy while the other plays 40K and fantasy. The dual game player mounted his models on round bases stating that GW allows round bases to be played in fantasy games at grand tournaments. Can someone please confirm? The only base rules I saw on the 2012 rules stated that the models must be be on bases of the same dimensions provided by GW.

It sounds a bit strict but the round bases are one of three current issues other players are having with the particular player. Since I do not own 40K models and forgot to check the other night, I am not sure if round bases have a 25mm diameter. Do they?

Thanks!

underscore
10-05-2013, 20:27
Not sure about Grand Tournaments, but I can confirm that they're pretty much exactly 25mm in diameter, so you can use movement trays for them.

theunwantedbeing
10-05-2013, 21:06
The dual game player mounted his models on round bases stating that GW allows round bases to be played in fantasy games at grand tournaments. Can someone please confirm?
He needs to provide proof of that claim, not you.

It sounds a bit strict but the round bases are one of three current issues other players are having with the particular player.
Mind if we ask what the other two issues are?

(my money is on the army not being painted, and the other being proxies)

Lord Inquisitor
10-05-2013, 21:17
The round/square base thing is an issue for people who understandably want to use this army for both systems. The round bases are pretty much exactly 25mm so especially with those modular movement trays with 25mm squares on them, you can indeed simply use round bases on the trays without too much issue. Only with single models or skirmishers does it become problematic, you'd really need the correct base then or at least have the round base on top of a correctly-sized footprint.

The other option of course is using square bases in 40k, which has its own set of issues.

I've certainly seen square/round bases used for the wrong system in small tournaments and I think I've seen round bases at a WFB GT but I wouldn't swear to it.

Mr_Rose
10-05-2013, 21:21
Magnetic feet!
Magnets are basically civilisation; pop a couple in the model's feet, put a couple of tiny bits of metal in some square and round bases, finish the bases as you please; now you have hot-swappable square and round bases.

yeknoMehT
10-05-2013, 21:22
Magnetic feet!
Magnets are basically civilisation; pop a couple in the model's feet, put a couple of tiny bits of metal in some square and round bases, finish the bases as you please; now you have hot-swappable square and round bases.

And daemons who fall over if you look at them funny...

underscore
10-05-2013, 21:29
All of my Daemons are set up on round bases. I've got some round trays from litko.net for my core. Skirmishers have magnets to snap their round bases on top of square bases. Everything else is pinned and magnetised in pace to switch (yes, both).

bigbiggles
10-05-2013, 22:39
Mind if I ask what the 40k problems are with square bases? I can only think I would be hurting myself with blast templates ( the square bases stick out a tiny bit in the non cardinal directions)

Lord Inquisitor
10-05-2013, 22:42
It messes up the deep strike pattern (as you get squares rather than circles) and you just have that fudge factor when measuring. A model's facing shouldn't matter in the game but that exact facing can matter for ranges with a square base. You get it anyway a bit with vehicles and those big oval bases.

Ravenar
11-05-2013, 03:15
Thanks for the replies all.

As far as the other issues, they are purely game mechanics (taking > 100 pts in gifts with Lord characters... using 13th spell with Warlock Engineers) . Though we have a "contest" every month to promote painting, several armies are fielded primed with very few models painted (many players are new as of this year).

Anyways, thanks again. With the fact that the round bases are 25mm, I see no reason they cannot be used that way as long as there is a proper model to represent demon.