PDA

View Full Version : 2k Dark Elves for use in a team tournament

Sappysid101
10-05-2013, 23:20
So i have a nice 4 man team tournament coming up, and i want to bring my dark elves along. So this will involve multiple solo games vs other players followed up by a massive team game with the whole team on the board.

I made this list partly working around my team mates and partly around being as useful from turn one as possible.

Lords

Dreadlord w/ Full mundane, Pendant, Crown, Dragon Helm, Sword of Might and Dark Pegasus. Total - 300
(Yeah hate me all you want)

Heroes

Master w/ Full Mundane, Dawnstone, Whip of Agony, Cold One and BsB. Total - 185
Sorceress w/ Level 1, Lore of Metal and Dispell Scroll. Total - 125

Troops

RxB's (20) w/ Shields and Full Command. Total - 235

Special

CoK (15) w/ Full Command, Banner of Hag Graef and Ironcurse Icon (Champion Allowance). Total - 485
(BsB sits in here)

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower x2 Total - 200

Okay now I don't have the level 4 as I can see my team being very power dive starved (2/3 level 4 wizards from the other 3 chaps) and they haven't brought much shooting. What they have is monsters and infantry. Oh and a few monsters. So i've gone with an army that i can use to effect from the go and is more of a supporting army for the others. Granted i'll struggle in my 1v1's but i'm willing to look past that for the big smack down. So obviously some opinions are wanted, have I gone too shooty? Is the Level 4 a must just for the dagger potential? Something I should mention is that the final game is storm of magic, meaning that i've got a further 500 points to use on monsters etc, some insight would be very welcome there! Never played it before so some tips from a few vets would make my day :)

Thanks for reading

- Sid

Blitzgundam
11-05-2013, 05:52
So i have a nice 4 man team tournament coming up, and i want to bring my dark elves along. So this will involve multiple solo games vs other players followed up by a massive team game with the whole team on the board.

I made this list partly working around my team mates and partly around being as useful from turn one as possible.

Lords

Dreadlord w/ Full mundane, Pendant, Crown, Dragon Helm, Sword of Might and Dark Pegasus. Total - 300
(Yeah hate me all you want)

No hate here.....

Heroes

Master w/ Full Mundane, Dawnstone, Whip of Agony, Cold One and BsB. Total - 185
Sorceress w/ Level 1, Lore of Metal and Dispell Scroll. Total - 125

Its too bad she can't be a level 2 w Seal of Ghrond

Troops

I loved this idea, until I tried it and it failed miserably. I hope you have better luck.

Special

CoK (15) w/ Full Command, Banner of Hag Graef and Ironcurse Icon (Champion Allowance). Total - 485
(BsB sits in here)

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower x2 Total - 200

Okay now I don't have the level 4 as I can see my team being very power dive starved (2/3 level 4 wizards from the other 3 chaps) and they haven't brought much shooting. What they have is monsters and infantry. Oh and a few monsters. So i've gone with an army that i can use to effect from the go and is more of a supporting army for the others. Granted i'll struggle in my 1v1's but i'm willing to look past that for the big smack down. So obviously some opinions are wanted, have I gone too shooty? Is the Level 4 a must just for the dagger potential? Something I should mention is that the final game is storm of magic, meaning that i've got a further 500 points to use on monsters etc, some insight would be very welcome there! Never played it before so some tips from a few vets would make my day :)

Thanks for reading

- Sid

My only concern is your combat capability. At only 20 strong, those crossbowmen won't hold in combat, and without Mindrazor they won't hit hard. At least with Spearmen, you get the extra rank when charged.

A level 1 Lore of Metal offers very little you can use. If you take Shadow, you can at least take Miasma. It can slow units down, ensure you hit first, and ensure when you hit in combat that you will make the most out of your Hatred, Plus its got great range for a shooting army.

All in all, you have gone too shooty. I find that the crossbowmen work best as a bunker for the Sorceress, and stationary gun platforms otherwise. Remember you are already at 4+ to hit due to multiple shot. If they move, even to free reform, now you are at 5+. In addition, they are only Str 3 w AP as well as being 24" (12" half range). The Bolt Throwers I find to work better because of the longer range (24" half range) and no multiple shot penalties. For the crossbowmen to be effective, you need to be within that half range.....which without a dedicated fighting unit is waaay too close for T3 without boosts.

Hope my points help!

Sappysid101
11-05-2013, 12:33
Cheers for the input! I was considewrinbg dropping a unit of RxB's and 5 CoK's and putting the points into spear elves...

That sorta what you'd recommend? Also any thoughts on on my storm of magic issues?

- Sid

Blitzgundam
12-05-2013, 05:30
Cheers for the input! I was considewrinbg dropping a unit of RxB's and 5 CoK's and putting the points into spear elves...

That sorta what you'd recommend? Also any thoughts on on my storm of magic issues?

- Sid

Lets see:

If you are going to play Storm of Magic, I suggest Hydra, Hydra, and more Hydra. Manticores work well in addition to Black Dragons.

You are also going to need a Level 4 for that. I took the liberty of making a 2k list for you from what I can imagine you have available as a DE player.

Supreme Sorceress 350
Level 4
Talisman of Endurance
Crown of Command
Darkstar Cloak

Master 185
BSB
Full Mundane
Dawnstone
Cold One
Whip of Agony

Master 133
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Enchanted Shield
Sword of Swift Striking
Luckstone

40 Dark Elf Warriors 310
Fcmnd
Banner of Discipline
Shields

20 Crossbowmen 225
Musician
Shields

10 Harpies 110

7 Shades 126
Additional Hand Weapons
Light Armor

10 Cold One Knights 350
Fcmnd
Ironcurse Icon
Standard of Hag Graef

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers 200

So, here's the plan:

If you are going to play a Storm of Magic game, you need a level 4. As a Dark Elf, you need a Level 4 with Shadow. Say you get charged, so you get to fight in all 4 ranks with your spearmen. Then lets say you get Mindrazor off. That's 33 Str8 attacks. In addition, this Sorceress would be your General, so you get Ld 9. In the Spearmen, she gets +1 Ld from the Banner of Discipline making her Ld10. Crown of Command = Stubborn 10 spearmen! That unit won't be going anywhere. Keep your BSB close enough, re-rollable Stubborn Ld10! I know you mentioned about the other Level 4's taking the power dice....with the die generated by her Darkstar cloak, and anything made from your Power of Darkness spell, those are only able to be used by the Sorceress.

Your BSB is the same.

The second Master is there to protect your Sorceress. A 2+ once a game re-roll with ASF will protect her well.

Crossbowmen are good, but at best I use them as a harassing unit. As I said before, their shooting ability isn't always dependable. The should cover the weakest flank.

Harpies are great. They are excellent re-directors, great warmachine hunters, and can provide a decent flank of rear charge for the CoK's.

I find Shades to be far better at shooting than the crossbowmen. In addition, they can handle themselves way better in a fight. Again, excellent flankers and warmachine hunters.

The CoK's are the biggest change for you. Their number is significantly dropped. Having a third rank of Cav is pretty much useless unless you are Bretonnians. The Icon will give them a 6+ chance vs warmachines, which murder them.