PDA

View Full Version : wand of wimsy

Methios
11-05-2013, 10:58
Just checking something. As some might find it Cheeky.

Wand of wimsy grats the BEARER +1 atk and str when you role a 5+ after casting a spell or dispelling
Gifts of chaos specificly states if you end up with 2 magic weapons you must choose which one u use at the start of combat.

Now in my opinion you can gain attacks and str with the wand during magic phases. Which you can use with another magic weapon in Close combat. As during the magic phase the bonus is given to the bearer and not to the weapon. But some might find it Cheeky so i want to check it here.

Not that it is such a uber combo. But it would allow my lord of change to take fall back to the result of 0 when roling a crap result on the gift table when already using wand of wimsy for your minor gift.
(1 greater 2 minors or 1 exalted and 1 minor)

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2013, 11:18
There was rule somewhere that stated you only get the benefit of an item while actually using it.

I can't find it now though, maybe it's gone.
In which case your whimsical trick works!

FatTrucker
11-05-2013, 11:21
You gain the bonuses during the magic phase to apply during the combat phase. At the start of close combat, you nominate which weapon you're using and that's what the bonus applies to.
Can also depend on the item description.
Some weapons simply need ownership to apply their bonus while others confer their bonus only when in use. If its the former you're ok, if its the latter then you need to 'use' it in CC to get the bonus.
The fact it grants 'the bearer' would indicate you can apply the bonus even when using a different weapon in the close combat phase in line with fencers blades etc.
Is the wand of whimsy even a weapon?

Methios
11-05-2013, 11:35
Yes its a magic weapon.
And i read it again, think my trick wont work.
As the WAND gets a "charge" and the charge gives you +1 str and atk.
So you will have to wield it i gues.

Bodde1972
11-05-2013, 21:50
They Need to make a clearer FAQ about this.
Currently it states somewhere in the FAQ that certain bonusses still apply if you do not use the weapon. (example the fencer blades).
So you could use the wand of whimsy and another weapon depending how you interpret this.

Methios
12-05-2013, 09:02
Where is the fencer blade bit faqed then? Cant find it.
If i read this correct i would be able to have both fencer blades and wand of wimsy and get the bonusses from both?

Flame
12-05-2013, 21:47
so bonus for all rules purposes (e.g. the effect of spells, characteristic tests, etc)? (p4)
A: Yes, except for magic weapons or where the description of the item or spell specifically says otherwise.

Q: Does a weapon that gives a bonus to a characteristic only give that bonus when being used to attack a model?(p4)
A: Most weapons, including magic weapons, state when the bonus is given. For example, a model with the Fencer’s Blades will always have Weapon Skill 10 whilst a model with a great weapon will only have +2 Strength when striking an enemy in close combat. When a weapon does not say when the characteristic bonus applies, then it only applies when striking, or being struck, in close combat.

Methios
18-05-2013, 16:04
Well as i read the faq the rule doesnt apply when you dont have fencerblade "equiped" its merly when you walk around the board with fencer blades as your weapon you are considerd a i10 model. But carrying a Greatweapon doesnt give you +2 str. only when you strike with it.

So all things considerd.....you cant use the bonusses of both :(

yeknoMehT
18-05-2013, 18:00
Well as i read the faq the rule doesnt apply when you dont have fencerblade "equiped" its merly when you walk around the board with fencer blades as your weapon you are considerd a i10 model. But carrying a Greatweapon doesnt give you +2 str. only when you strike with it.

So all things considerd.....you cant use the bonusses of both :(

It seems a little hard to interpret it that way. There are very few interpretations of the word 'always', which appears in the FAQ.