PDA

View Full Version : Single Character Charges

Shidensen
11-05-2013, 18:58
Hi everyone,

I want to resolve this issue that came up a while ago, I just remembered about it now.

I was playing with Empire with my friend as Warriors of Chaos. He has this Chaos Lord on Disc (I hate that guy!) move to the front of my lines, and then next turn charged my Helblaster up on a Scree Slope. I said he couldn't charge it since the Helblaster wasn't in his LoS, but he said that "single characters can pivot", which they can, but I thought that rule only applies to regular movement and marching, not charges. I couldn't find anything saying single characters have 360 LoS, but he claimed they did.

Here is a rough sketch of what it looked like:

The diagonal lines are supposed to represent his LOS, he was faced toward my board edge (up) and not turned to face the war machine.

Anyway - can single characters (and by extension, other single models like chariots) pivot before they charge or must they only charge what is in their LoS?

Neither of us found any solid ruling on the matter, and were both convinced we were right so we rolled off and he won. In the end it didn't make a huge difference since by charging my Helblaster, he was right next to my Steam Tank...who charged him and tied him up for the rest of the game! :D

yeknoMehT
11-05-2013, 19:02
360 Los for single characters was from a previous edition. No longer applies

Lord Solar Plexus
11-05-2013, 19:05
I believe you are confusing LoS with forward arc. LoS is not described very well; for practical purposes it is best to assume that everyone has 360 degrees of LoS, otherwise models like the Gobbo rider sitting backwards and their units could never charge, and that's before we talk about models without eyes.

In order to charge, the target must be within the forward arc and withing LoS of the charger, who then is allowed a single wheel of up to 90 degrees plus the close the door. Pivoting never comes into effect - you are right that this only applies to normal movement.

Shidensen
13-05-2013, 02:31
I believe you are confusing LoS with forward arc. LoS is not described very well; for practical purposes it is best to assume that everyone has 360 degrees of LoS, otherwise models like the Gobbo rider sitting backwards and their units could never charge, and that's before we talk about models without eyes.

In order to charge, the target must be within the forward arc and withing LoS of the charger, who then is allowed a single wheel of up to 90 degrees plus the close the door. Pivoting never comes into effect - you are right that this only applies to normal movement.

Ok yes, you're right I was thinking of forward arc. Alright got it so you can't pivot to adjust your forward arc before a charge. Thanks for the help