PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy Action Figures based on 40k models?

Mazryonh
11-05-2013, 18:13
For obvious reasons, the vast majority of 40k non-vehicle miniatures aren't poseable without extensive conversion work. Given that the comic book and science fiction fandoms are full of poseable action figures that are snapped up daily by fans, I'm surprised that GW hasn't jumped into this market. I'm sure that a lot of 40k players would love to own a truescale Space Marine Captain/Ork Warboss/Chaos Lord that was fully poseable and 6-inches (or whichever size is most common for highly-detailed action figures) tall. I'm sure some of the better painters here would prefer uncoloured versions so they could paint the action figures themselves!:D

Malagor
11-05-2013, 18:18
I would.
Same with clothing.
If GW started selling like t-shirts, hoodies and things like that I would buy it.

Stacius
11-05-2013, 18:49
I know I would.

Mazryonh
11-05-2013, 19:27
I know I would.

How far would you go? A fully-poseable Space Marine Dreadnought action figure would be nice to have and paint, but if it were based on the same scale as a 6-inch truescale marine, it'd be really massive and expensive!

Scaryscarymushroom
11-05-2013, 19:36
How far would you go? A fully-poseable Space Marine Dreadnought action figure would be nice to have and paint, but if it were based on the same scale as a 6-inch truescale marine, it'd be really massive and expensive!

Things like this exist for other game companies.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/900734_press02-001.jpg

The largest walker I've ever seen Paolo Parente sell was probably about four feet tall, had moving parts, and I think it cost over one thousand dollars.

Lant
11-05-2013, 20:02
Im a huge Wh40k fan, I have all the books and games - But I never played the tabletop and never plan too.

But although I often frown upon people who buy tons of merchandise and actionfigures (thats actually getting to nerdy for me :D ), even I would make an exception for Warhammer 40k. I dont understand why GW is so cautios with expanding their universe. It took years for a movie, years for audiobooks, and both sold very well when they finally arrived.

I think since Dawn of War I Warhammer 40k is no longer a "niche", and could easily support some merchandise.

JWhex
12-05-2013, 02:23
I wouldnt buy a 40k action figure because I just dont have a gaming use for one. As far as painting them goes, wouldnt they likely be prepainted, and there were the inquisitor models that apparently did not sell well enough to justify keeping them in production even though they were really nice.

Bobthemime
12-05-2013, 02:35
I am surprised there hasnt been a Lego 40k yet.. it would sell.

GW is wider spread than I think GW itself knows, I see a lot of HH books appear on sci-fi top10 lists, from readers that don't know there is a tabletop game that it is all based upon.

If you take the stuff BL put out, its fun and witty, and you dont need to know the background fully, as most of the books will explain who people are, what the weapons do, or why things are important.

I introduced a friend of mine to Ciaphas Cain, and he was dismayed there wasn't merch to go with it all.. I mean who wouldnt buy a propaganda poster of CC - Hero of The Imperium?

and Space Marine, and even that shoddy B-Movie Ultramarines, drew alot of people into the hobby... why arent there t-shirts, besides the odd one-offs they are putting out in last 2 years available?

Even at Games Day, there is a shocking lack of Merch available.

Craftworld
12-05-2013, 02:48

Indeed! They're missing an opportunity by not having clothing available. Other fantasy-scapes offer hats, hoodies and shirts, and they certainly do sell. It offers fans a way to represent their beloved faction, and become a walking billboard for their company/game.

I can't tell you how many conversations my Warcraft hoodie started up with complete strangers.

Fithos
12-05-2013, 02:50
I dont understand why GW is so cautios with expanding their universe. It took years for a movie

The movie makes a good argument for why they need to be careful with expanding their universe.

In answer to the OP: I already have action figures that I play with on a semi-regular basis. I just call them models. I can even pose them how I want (sadly no kung-fu grip unless you count magnetic grip). Beyond that, I probably wouldn't buy actual action figures partly because I wouldn't want to pay the outrages sum that GW would charge and partly because the charm of 40k to me is making up my own stories in their universe so I am more than happy sticking to just building and painting models.

Mazryonh
12-05-2013, 04:25
But although I often frown upon people who buy tons of merchandise and actionfigures (thats actually getting to nerdy for me :D ), even I would make an exception for Warhammer 40k. I dont understand why GW is so cautios with expanding their universe. It took years for a movie, years for audiobooks, and both sold very well when they finally arrived.

I think since Dawn of War I Warhammer 40k is no longer a "niche", and could easily support some merchandise.

I think the lack of merchandise is strange too. Maybe someone at GW's HQ shares Bill Watterson's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Watterson) opinion about merchandise (Watterson thought that merchandise was a bunch of useless nicknacks that nobody needs, never mind his own Calvin and Hobbes comic strip was something no one "needed" either, to say nothing of collections of toy soldiers).

I wouldnt buy a 40k action figure because I just dont have a gaming use for one. As far as painting them goes, wouldnt they likely be prepainted, and there were the inquisitor models that apparently did not sell well enough to justify keeping them in production even though they were really nice.

That's why I suggested action figures that came unpainted so that dedicated hobbyists could paint them. And action figures could be a nice way of introducing younger people to 40k games; unlike video games, action figures don't have "audience ratings" and are suitable for kids even if they can't handle the complexity of the 40k TT game.

GW is wider spread than I think GW itself knows, I see a lot of HH books appear on sci-fi top10 lists, from readers that don't know there is a tabletop game that it is all based upon.

Or maybe it's afraid to take the risk of merchandising given how it's been forced to cut, cut, cut expenditures everywhere--contracting out the manufacturing of non-book non-model merchandise could be a losing proposition.

I introduced a friend of mine to Ciaphas Cain, and he was dismayed there wasn't merch to go with it all.. I mean who wouldnt buy a propaganda poster of CC - Hero of The Imperium?

Now that sounds like something that would sell.

Indeed! They're missing an opportunity by not having clothing available. Other fantasy-scapes offer hats, hoodies and shirts, and they certainly do sell. It offers fans a way to represent their beloved faction, and become a walking billboard for their company/game.

I can't tell you how many conversations my Warcraft hoodie started up with complete strangers.

Heh, that makes me wonder if people would buy IG-style helmets with a space to paint your personal IG regiment logo on it, or a Commisar/General hat. How about a pole you could hang your regimental/chapter banner on so you could bring it to tournaments, or even an Ork bosspole?

I already have action figures that I play with on a semi-regular basis. I just call them models. I can even pose them how I want (sadly no kung-fu grip unless you count magnetic grip). Beyond that, I probably wouldn't buy actual action figures partly because I wouldn't want to pay the outrageous sum that GW would charge and partly because the charm of 40k to me is making up my own stories in their universe so I am more than happy sticking to just building and painting models.

Actually, the Japanese community has been used to fully-poseable mecha models that you build yourself for a long time now. Those have plenty of western fans. And unpainted 40k action figures (perhaps even with swappable heads/arms/hands/weapons) would let you customize a figure's history and loadout all you want.

TimLeeson
12-05-2013, 04:38
I'd love a Necron Immortal Action figure. Yeah, I'd totally play with it too, and make the noises. Don't judge me!

infamousme
12-05-2013, 05:05
I would, it also works the other way around. I was looking at some of my son's halo action figures thinking "hmm... if they made miniatures I would totally buy them"

Hicks
12-05-2013, 05:12
If it wasn't an absolute rip off like their minis I'd like to buy a 6" truescale marine.

nosebiter
12-05-2013, 05:37
Action figures? No i would not buy that.

Retro look recruitment posters, actual purity seals, bolt shell casings. Stuff like that would be fun to have.

Other then that i hope they one day bring back large scale, 54 mm and busts done by forgeworld. I would buy tonnes of that.

Lant
12-05-2013, 05:43
Action figures? No i would not buy that.

Retro look recruitment posters, actual purity seals, bolt shell casings. Stuff like that would be fun to have.

Other then that i hope they one day bring back large scale, 54 mm and busts done by forgeworld. I would buy tonnes of that.

Do you have played Space Marine? If not get yourself the Collectors Edition, its dirt cheap (30 bucks) and has a nice purity seal.

Also Forge World (?) once had full-sized Crux Terminatus.

Shatterclaw
12-05-2013, 05:59
Officially, there hasn't been an Official set of Lego 40k.. that hasn't stopped fans of Lego and 40K From making 40k kits from lego. I've seen motorized land raiders with light and remote controls made out of Legos.

this is one such page... http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/239759

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37535413@N05/6198948254/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37535413@N05/6264669430/in/photostream/

With the way Games workshop safe guards there IP.. i'm not surprised that there not any other merch then what they sell. At one time they had bulldog belt buckles ( think thats what they where called ) licensed to do belt buckles and necklaces.. I have one of the forge world Space wolf symbol. There was a line of eight statues of Marines.. two where space wolves.. one was from the cover of the book, and one had a heavy bolter.

Basicly if Gee Dub cant control the IP, then no one can do any thing with it.

I am surprised there hasnt been a Lego 40k yet.. it would sell.

If you take the stuff BL put out, its fun and witty, and you dont need to know the background fully, as most of the books will explain who people are, what the weapons do, or why things are important.

and Space Marine, and even that shoddy B-Movie Ultramarines, drew alot of people into the hobby... why arent there t-shirts, besides the odd one-offs they are putting out in last 2 years available?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
12-05-2013, 06:06
Catachan t-shirts: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=9000008-gws

Shatterclaw
12-05-2013, 06:08
Of course if it turns out to be true that Games workshop is being set up to be sold, the new owners my take over and merch the hell out of it.

I have this horrible dream, where in Disney owns Marvel, Star wars and Games workshop... and my soul, as they drain me of money as i work for my awful dark Mistress...

AlexHolker
12-05-2013, 06:11
I would, but only if they supported my armies better than GW does. I've got no interest in fifty shades of Space Marine.

I would, it also works the other way around. I was looking at some of my son's halo action figures thinking "hmm... if they made miniatures I would totally buy them"
Six years ago, I saw Halo miniatures in something approximating 28mm. They might have been for one of those Heroclix games.

Spider-pope
12-05-2013, 07:08
I would.
Same with clothing.
If GW started selling like t-shirts, hoodies and things like that I would buy it.

When they did sell clothing i certainly bought it. I still have my Baneblade t-shirt somewhere, along with a few belt buckles. I'd also buy any other merchandise.

Gorbad Ironclaw
12-05-2013, 07:48
GW used to have various merchandise, like t-shirts, belt buckles and the like. I don't believe it sold that well. Is there any other games company that have a successful range of accessories like this? And I'm not talking about selling a few t-shirts or limited edition items or similar because basically that comes under the heading of marketing and community management.

As for an action figure, nope. Not interested in the slightest. If I were to spend money of buying figures from GW I'd want them to have some gaming utility.

And as for Lego, I don't see why GW would want to do that. By would they want people buying Lego instead of GW? And I'm not sure Lego would want to either, something like 40k isn't really the kind of setting they like, its not family friendly enough and/or mainstream enough.

fgsfds-
12-05-2013, 08:13
Totally. It'd be nice to own a 40k action figure too. They would make nice ornaments. Hanging a realistically sized chainsword on the wall would be cool too.
Not that I'd propably have money to buy the merchandise, though .__. That's why I've been thinking of imprinting 40k themed T-shirts myself.
(I'm actually wearing a Space Marine T-shirt atm. It came with the limited edition of the W40k Space Marine Game (a friend of mine gave it to me as it was too small for him))

Gingerwerewolf
12-05-2013, 10:58
GW used to have various merchandise, like t-shirts, belt buckles and the like. I don't believe it sold that well. Is there any other games company that have a successful range of accessories like this? And I'm not talking about selling a few t-shirts or limited edition items or similar because basically that comes under the heading of marketing and community management.

As for an action figure, nope. Not interested in the slightest. If I were to spend money of buying figures from GW I'd want them to have some gaming utility.

And as for Lego, I don't see why GW would want to do that. By would they want people buying Lego instead of GW? And I'm not sure Lego would want to either, something like 40k isn't really the kind of setting they like, its not family friendly enough and/or mainstream enough.

This is pretty much spot on. Back in the mid nineties GW got in a company called Bulldog to make pewter badges, Tshirts, and some other similar stuff. It was only sold by GW and didnt sell that well.

Warhammer World's Bugman Bar sells stuff but its all specific. Some of it is nice - bugmans hip flask and pint mug - but mostly its stuff "to remember your visit"

I love the full scale in universe stuff, the Lasgun ammo pack, imperial infantryman uplifting primer. The Beany and Belt buckle from 6th ed releases.

What Id like to see: in universe posters, replica weapons in display cases, imperial guard dog tags, clothing based on what would be worn by people in the universe etc etc

Eg subtle "real" stuff

The tshirts that look like Heavy Metal Tee's I think are gone the way of the dodo... because they look like heavy metal tees.

Sent through the Aether using Astropaths

TheDarkDuke
12-05-2013, 11:25
I know I wouldn't, just not my thing. That and knowing gw one figure would probably cost $80

New Cult King
12-05-2013, 11:28
If they were proportioned properly and well done, hells yes.

Bobthemime
12-05-2013, 12:14
Catachan t-shirts: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=9000008-gws

This is what i was referring too..

One-off runs of tee shirts but in this case, with a stupid price attached

Chem-Dog
12-05-2013, 17:49
In an ideal world where I have the disposable income to buy stuff like that, yeah I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips.

I have three children, two of which are boys. My boys are just at the age where they're interested in 40K enough to want to get involved but too young to have anywhere near the patience to learn to build or paint miniatures or play the game (we have stabs at it from time to time, with varying results), the end result is clumps of blu-tac and parts from my bits boxes combining to make temporary action figures, now this is all well and good, but I know they would adore actual 40K action figures and I would buy toy level action figures (like the Star Wars ones I played with as a lad) for that reason alone.

Collectibles are entirely dependant on how nice they are, with 40K's grim darkness, it'd be quite easy to to make some truly stunning renditions of the persons and creatures we all enjoy. Though I'm much more likely to drop a wad on some art books.

More generally I'd be interested in some merch, pens, cufflinks, tie clips, wallets, key rings, pins all that kind of stuff would be fun.

I'd love a Necron Immortal Action figure. Yeah, I'd totally play with it too, and make the noises. Don't judge me!

Nonsense, you know a Necron figure would come with flashing lights and 5 phrases!

Kiro
12-05-2013, 20:53
Depends on the quality; I wouldn't necessarily go bonkers for 6 clam-shelled, mass-produced 'action figures', but I would splurge out for 12"+ Sideshow-esque models, which I already do.

Mazryonh
13-05-2013, 02:25

Something like that would be nice if its weapon-tube lit up with an appropriate colour depending on what was mounted (I've seen something similar on certain Lego sets with fibre-optic cables that light up in the middle). It'd also be great if it made noises from the Dawn of War series--the sound work for those games was almost perfect.

I have three children, two of which are boys. My boys are just at the age where they're interested in 40K enough to want to get involved but too young to have anywhere near the patience to learn to build or paint miniatures or play the game (we have stabs at it from time to time, with varying results), the end result is clumps of blu-tac and parts from my bits boxes combining to make temporary action figures, now this is all well and good, but I know they would adore actual 40K action figures and I would buy toy level action figures (like the Star Wars ones I played with as a lad) for that reason alone.

Where would they like to start? Space Marines? Orks? Tau? Like you say, I'm surprised that GW hasn't already seized this opportunity to try and appeal to the younger audience with action figures already. For the more "serious" collector, like someone who prefers to collect McFarlane's Military Soldiers (http://www.toydorks.com/McfarlaneSoldiers.php) (authentic scale representations of US military personnel), I'd think something like large-scale (i.e., 12-inches high) poseable models of Imperial Guardsmen or Tau Firewarriors would be great buys assuming the quality was good. I've seen hobby stores with big scale models of Iron Man armour suits, or dioramas from the Terminator/Batman movies, etc.

Collectibles are entirely dependent on how nice they are, with 40K's grim darkness, it'd be quite easy to to make some truly stunning renditions of the persons and creatures we all enjoy. Though I'm much more likely to drop a wad on some art books.

If you want "grimdark" action figures, McFarlane toys has made some "mature-audiences-only" ones with blood and suggestive themes (though frankly, anyone looking at Slaaneshi-themed miniatures for 40k would see plenty of suggestive themes already). Large-scale renditions of something as simple as a bloodied Guardsman with nothing more than his Lasgun and boot knife charging an Ork Slugga boy would be good too; heroism doesn't need to be epic to be heroic, unlike the Forge World rendition of the duel of Abbadon and Loken (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Infantry_of_the_Horus_Heresy/ABADDON_AND_LOKEN.html) during the opening volleys of the Horus Heresy.

More generally I'd be interested in some merch, pens, cufflinks, tie clips, wallets, key rings, pins all that kind of stuff would be fun.

I'm not sure many would share that sentiment. Merchandise like that is often considered "shovelstuff" or goods that are hurriedly made and "shovelled" out to customers in the hopes of making a quick buck without much effort or cost. Sure, you can make those small items higher-quality, but most people wouldn't think of paying much for that kind of quality (since the difference is harder to detect). 6-inch action figures are easier to discern for quality.

Recruitment posters could be something that could be packaged into Imperial Guard battleforces. Purity Seals and Bolt Shell Casings (I prefer that bolter weapons be caseless myself) would be harder to sell, because not many people are interested in minutiae like that (they're not "uber-cool" like Lightsabers from the Star Wars series are--those are perennial fan-favourites when it comes to merchandising).

Something I'd like to have would be a Space Marine Helmet speaker; the voxcaster at the front is the speaker outlet, and the eyes light up when the power is turned on and flicker in different intensity depending on the volume of the sounds coming out the front. You could even get an unpainted version so you could paint your own chapter colours on it yourself.

SamaNagol
13-05-2013, 09:03
I have always been curious why GW do not do more with their IP.

"We are a miniatures company" doesn't really wash tbh seeing as they are so clearly profits orientated.

Would be cool to see collectibles in general for us to decorate our nerd-dens

Stacius
13-05-2013, 13:31
To be honest, if they did a range with say , Eldar Farseers, Dark Eldar wych, space marine tac squad member, ork boy, tyranid stealer, tau firs warrior, imperial guardsman, battle sister, daemon, chaos marine, etc. I would full on get the set

Bobthemime
13-05-2013, 13:40
To be honest, if they did a range with say , Eldar Farseers, Dark Eldar wych, space marine tac squad member, ork boy, tyranid stealer, tau firs warrior, imperial guardsman, battle sister, daemon, chaos marine, etc. I would full on get the set

I would doubt they would put out a wych.. too much flesh on display.. probably an archon or warrior with the different weapons

Konovalev
13-05-2013, 19:20
GW probably knows they can't compete with the Gundam model action figure market, so they don't even try. It would be funny though if they went the low quality route and targeted children though... Buy McDonalds happy meals to collect all the new Skull Emperor(can't sell god emperor to children, PR nightmare) series action figures to complete the Fall of the Skull Emperor set! Each epic hero with a different dramatic action! Horus swipes his dark mace, the Skull Emperor swings his flaming sword, and Sanguinius flops over dead.

Gerod253
13-05-2013, 19:40
If I'm honest with myself I'd buy an Ultramarine Tactical Marine figure. Let's not kid ourselves, it would either be an Ultramarine or a Dark Angel. I'd rather see a Black Templar or Imperial Fist, but I don't think either are popular enough, although a Black Templar with a cloak, power sword, pistol, and bolter would probably interest people who like the dark anti-hero style but don't know what 40K is all about. An Eldar figure would also be cool, maybe a Howling Banshee? Make a Rogue Trader figure that emphasizes the 'space pirate' aspects and that would probably sell as well.

Really, I hope that GW simply releases a licence to a company like McFarlane instead of trying to do it themselves. Leave this sort of thing to those who do it for a living.

No comment on the other stuff though. Not a fan of clothing or other 'swag' to be honest. They would want to cover everything with Aquila and Skulls and these things don't always go over well with co-workers or even family and friends who don't know the company.

Now, a larger scale model of on Imperial Cruiser or Battleship, say at least a foot or two long, would be very awesome! I would build that and put it on my desk at work in a heartbeat.

Bubble Ghost
13-05-2013, 20:00
I wouldn't, but then I'm 34, so I probably don't count.

The reason GW hasn't done this, I imagine - as well as the reason they probably never will - is that it would dilute their brand. Their miniatures are a prestige product, and releasing a range of figures that were clearly mere toys might damage the perception of their main lines. As soon GW's target demographic decided they were "that toy company" it would be curtains.

Plague Lord
14-05-2013, 01:27
I have no idea how old you all are but I think I'm waaaaaaaaay too old for action figures and I'm only 21 :rolleyes:

I'll wait till I'm 40, then I'll buy lot's of **** like that

Abaraxas
14-05-2013, 13:33
No, because if I bought one pretty soon Id end up buying the lot.
Ive spent way more than I should have on 28mm GW stuff as it stands, I have never delved into 6 or 54 or busts for the same reasons-hell I even eschew tanks as I know it will lead to titans...

Mazryonh
14-05-2013, 19:53
I have always been curious why GW do not do more with their IP.

"We are a miniatures company" doesn't really wash tbh seeing as they are so clearly profits orientated.

Would be cool to see collectibles in general for us to decorate our nerd-dens

As always, it's odd that they don't expand (even in a limited fashion) into this arena. It's clear with all their cost-cutting measures that they could use the money. Maybe they could start by making them raffle prizes if you buy X amounts of miniatures within a certain time, so you can get "limited edition" ones before they become more widely available.

GW probably knows they can't compete with the Gundam model action figure market, so they don't even try. It would be funny though if they went the low quality route and targeted children though...

The Gundam model market is hardly the only action figure market around. And besides, even kids will buy high-quality action figures (or pester their parents into buying them). Just look at the action figures for the Halo series and listen to how many kids play the games (which are M-rated, no less) on Xbox Live, for instance.

The reason GW hasn't done this, I imagine - as well as the reason they probably never will - is that it would dilute their brand. Their miniatures are a prestige product, and releasing a range of figures that were clearly mere toys might damage the perception of their main lines. As soon GW's target demographic decided they were "that toy company" it would be curtains.

But miniatures are toy soldiers. Where's the prestige in that? And action figures can be prestige goods as well.

No, because if I bought one pretty soon Id end up buying the lot.
Ive spent way more than I should have on 28mm GW stuff as it stands, I have never delved into 6 or 54 or busts for the same reasons-hell I even eschew tanks as I know it will lead to titans...

Not to insult you, but people with a lot of spending power and who like GW's stuff are certainly customers GW would favour.

RobLink
14-05-2013, 20:53
I would have said that it holds no interest to me, but then a few months back I saw this: http://angryhedgehogtoys.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/striking-scorpion-from-warhammer-40000.html

I've got to be honest, I'd be all over a set like that.

Sircyn
14-05-2013, 22:28

This. It is a matter of brand integrity. If they make toys rather than wargames miniatures they devalue their brand for the sake of another quick buck. There is also the risk of becoming a fad and we all know how the LOTR and Warhammer Online bubbles went. They won't even have sales in store because it would damage the value of the brand, so making action figure versions of a range they already produce as a prestige product will be anathema to them. They only have one I.P and they have to guard it carefully.

A big part of the appeal of the miniatures for me is putting my own time, effort and creativity into them. It is a strong niche that is set apart from the various comic book, anime or hollywood movie cash in that are staple fodder for action figures. Associating the GW I.P with that kind of business model does run the risk of crossing the Rubicon and not being able to turn back.

I'm a war gamer not a collector.

SamaNagol
14-05-2013, 23:26
lol@it 'dilluting their brand"

haha

still-young
15-05-2013, 14:11

Back when I was more naive and didn't know how these things worked (no, this wasn't yesterday...) I wrote a letter to games workshop suggesting they made Warhammer: Halo.

Obviously they didn't listen. Didn't even get a reply. The 12 year old me was gutted.

Binky
15-05-2013, 14:56
Sideshow released a range of 6" Space Marine pre-painted statuettes in the past, not quite action figures but close.