PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at characters in units

warplock
11-05-2013, 23:55
I just want to check I understand the rules correctly. Assuming I have a High Elf Mage (cavalry) joined to a unit of 20 Spearmen (infantry), are the following statements correct?

1) If bowfire or a magic missile hits the unit, I can allocate one hit to each model in the unit. So, if I wanted to, I could allocate 20 hits to the Archers, and only if I suffered 21 hits would I have allocate anything at all to the Mage. Likewise, the I would have to suffer 42 hits before I would be forced to allocate 2 hits to the Mage.

2) If a Stone Thrower template hits the unit and the Mage is hit by it, he gets no Look Out Sir, and he has to suffer the hit along with any other models hit. The same goes for a cannonball hitting him.

Just want to check because it's a scenario which rarely comes up, and I had previously thought that even though he is a different troop type to the Archers he is afforded considerable protection from them due to scenario (1) above - a LOT of arrows have to hit the unit before he needs to be concerned. However, it seems that I now understand why this scenario rarely comes up, if I am correct.

riotknight
12-05-2013, 00:10
A mage can take a look out sir from the stone thrower or cannon ball, otherwise, what's the point of the rule?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

warplock
12-05-2013, 00:19
A mage can take a look out sir from the stone thrower or cannon ball, otherwise, what's the point of the rule?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

The rule gives a Look Out Sir roll to characters if they are of the same troop type as the unit. In my example, the Mage is cavalry and the Archers are infantry, hence he would not get a Look Out Sir roll. Unless I am gravely mistaken.

Mr_Rose
12-05-2013, 00:21
Both correct. Since he is not of the same unit type, he gets no protection from look out sir or being in the unit.

Note that for (1) even if you volunteer to put one hit on the Mage, you can't allocate another 'til the 22nd hit.

kefkah
12-05-2013, 00:23
1: Thats only if you are below 5 RNF models. If he is in 20 spearmen, all 42 hits goes to the unit, its when your below that 5 RNF models that you need to allocate one hit to each dude as evenly as possible. This is a common misstake wich dont come into play often (since you usally dont get hit over 20 times with bs shooting) but nevertheless if he is in 20 spearmen its impossible for him to take a hit withouth sniper or someother shenanigans

2: Yeah, he must have the same troop type ( in this case infantry) to get a LOS

hope this helps

Mr_Rose
12-05-2013, 00:26
1: Thats only if you are below 5 RNF models. If he is in 20 spearmen, all 42 hits goes to the unit, its when your below that 5 RNF models that you need to allocate one hit to each dude as evenly as possible.

2: Yeah, he must have the same troop type ( in this case infantry) to get a LOS

hope this helps

1: Wrong; you need to read p.99 more closely. You lose BS-based protection if you are a different unit type also.

warplock
12-05-2013, 00:30
1: Wrong; you need to read p.99 more closely. You lose BS-based protection if you are a different unit type also.

Well you get protection from BS shooting, just not immunity.