PDA

View Full Version : Ork Speed Freaks/Biker Army

Aladauqs
14-05-2013, 13:37
Hi all,

Long time exile from 40k looking at getting back into the game and since my last army that I played with was Plague Marines (back in 4th edition) I thought Id aim to try something a bit different. As Ive never played Orks before I thought itd be interesting, and I remember the Speed Freaks armies from 3rd (I think) looked like a very different play style to what Im used to. Thing is, is an army like this viable under the new rules?

I was looking at having a heavily mechanized army, mainly based around bikes, deathkoptas, possibly stormboys and perhaps some killer kans, or something of that ilk, backed up by some artillery. Im not really big on using Trukks & Boyz as Id rather not have to paint 40+ footsloggers each time I want to make a unit!

So basically, is something like this feasible? Im not looking for anything super-competitive Im not a tournament gamer after all but is it a valid army build?

Any help and suggestions much appreciated,

Cheers.

PS - if this build isn't valid for Orks - who else would it be valid for? A fast-attack/mechanised army is what I'm after.

Kijamon
14-05-2013, 13:39
Ork bikes are amazing but the heldrake and anything ignoring cover and you're doomed.

If you can squeeze in some anti air and have it last (poor AV10 dakkajets) then you can have a real blast with this army.

Nob bikers can be extremely heavy hitting and it's a great wee build.

Axeman1n
15-05-2013, 00:09
Lootas + Nobikers = Win

Menthak
15-05-2013, 15:30
Hi all,

Long time exile from 40k looking at getting back into the game and since my last army that I played with was Plague Marines (back in 4th edition) I thought I’d aim to try something a bit different. As I’ve never played Orks before I thought it’d be interesting, and I remember the Speed Freaks armies from 3rd (I think) looked like a very different play style to what I’m used to. Thing is, is an army like this viable under the new rules?

I was looking at having a heavily mechanized army, mainly based around bikes, deathkoptas, possibly stormboys and perhaps some killer kans, or something of that ilk, backed up by some artillery. I’m not really big on using Trukks & Boyz as I’d rather not have to paint 40+ footsloggers each time I want to make a unit!

So basically, is something like this feasible? I’m not looking for anything super-competitive – I’m not a tournament gamer after all – but is it a valid army build?

Cheers.

PS - if this build isn't valid for Orks - who else would it be valid for? A fast-attack/mechanised army is what I'm after.

An obvious fast attack mech force is Dark Eldar.

And with respect, you're probably going to need boyz and trukks, simply to act as a fire magnet if nothing else.

Also, I'm no ork expert, but I've seen what a warboss and retinue on bikes can do.
Overall the list will be feasible, just expect some difficult victories

Bobthemime
15-05-2013, 15:35
Hi all,

Long time exile from 40k looking at getting back into the game and since my last army that I played with was Plague Marines (back in 4th edition) I thought I’d aim to try something a bit different. As I’ve never played Orks before I thought it’d be interesting, and I remember the Speed Freaks armies from 3rd (I think) looked like a very different play style to what I’m used to. Thing is, is an army like this viable under the new rules?

I was looking at having a heavily mechanized army, mainly based around bikes, deathkoptas, possibly stormboys and perhaps some killer kans, or something of that ilk, backed up by some artillery. I’m not really big on using Trukks & Boyz as I’d rather not have to paint 40+ footsloggers each time I want to make a unit!

So basically, is something like this feasible? I’m not looking for anything super-competitive – I’m not a tournament gamer after all – but is it a valid army build?

Cheers.

Speed Freakz arent all bikes.

You can field Warboss on Bike, in a unit of nobs

Wazdakka in a unit of Biker Boys

and AA is easily provided with the AA-turret that can be mounted on trukk with aeronautica (i think), and the jets and koptas

may need two squads in DeffRollerWagons to mop up ground units.

all this talk is making me want to make this army...

Latro_
15-05-2013, 16:23
You almost certainly wanna take wazdakka (he makes bikes troops!)

You prob also want a warboss on bike with:
cybork body, attack squig and power klaw

Nob bikers used to be the bully boys of mid 5th ed but they aint so amazing these days but still pack a punch. Normal bikers are pretty good to.
So you prob want one unit of each for your core troops.

Heldrakes and other flyers will run rings around you and in the heldrake case will kill your bikes on 3's with a flamer template threat range that covers most of the board (yes really). So unless you take allies you are going to want to take at least one dakka jet (more like 2, see death from the skies GW book).

You then want a unit or two of deffkoptas with twin rokkits.

For variety and more scoring stuff some units of shoota boyz in truks.

Prinkle power klaw nobs about till you run out of pts

That should cover you for a 1500-1750k fluffy fast ork list.

Killgore
16-05-2013, 05:32
Wazdakka, unit of nobz on bikes, a few unit of bikers as troops, a unit or two of wartruk boys for objectives, 2 dakka jets and a unit of warkoptas, and then fill heavy support with whatever you like, but some people swear by units of mega armoured nobz and deathroller battlewagons. A unit of kanz and artillery could easily be used to protect your deployment

Menthak
16-05-2013, 22:58
Thinking about it, I believe you can take a mek and have a unit of Kanz as a troops choice, furthering helping you remove those pesky boyz

Aladauqs
30-05-2013, 11:10
Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

What about Wartrakks/Warbuggies? Are they worth a look in? How about Stormboyz - how well would they perform in such a list?

At the moment I'm looking at a focus on bikes & deffkoptas plus a trukk or 2 with some slugga boyz inside.

Ettercap_DMW
08-11-2013, 15:54
What about Wartrakks/Warbuggies? Are they worth a look in? How about Stormboyz - how well would they perform in such a list?

At the moment I'm looking at a focus on bikes & deffkoptas plus a trukk or 2 with some slugga boyz inside.

Wartrakks/Warbuggies are pretty dead in this edition. With low AV and HP, they will get glanced to death. Not to mention they are only adding some Big Shootas for the base points. I love stormboyz as they can be very fast and annoy the others persons army really well. They hit fairly hard on the turn they charge. Deffkoptas are a must for their last turn objective grabs and the ability to annoy the side armour of most tanks.

I wouldn't bother with the slugga/choppa boys too much. With their low Int. value, they will be going last against marines, which you will see a lot of. I prefer the shoota boys in a trukk or wagon, just drive around and shoot at units, if they blow up the trukk, oh well, you still move shoot, still get 2A, 3 on the charge and if they charge you, all those shootas on overwatch will put some pain on the unit before they get you, in essence S4 Int 11 attacks times the number in your unit!! Albeit at BS1, but your only BS2 to begin with, not a huge difference!!

Dwane Diblie
09-11-2013, 16:39
Ork bike armies are great to play with and against. I have a mate who has a 100% Ork bike list that puts up a really good fight. About the only army I can regularly beat it with is my Eldar. I have seen it smash Chaos, Necrons, many marine armies and Tau. It even occasionally beats my Eldar.

As for Stormboyz vs Deff Koptas, I would say that Jetbikes are always better than Jump Infantry as they get the benefits all the time rather than in just the movement phase OR assault phase. That being said it realy comes down to comparing equal points worth of each unit vs the amount of fire each can through out at range and total attacks in combat. Deff Koptas are defiantly karder to kill with better T, W and Save. Stormboys will probably have more numbers but will not have the save.

papabearshane
10-11-2013, 04:32
As far as Buggies/Trakks go, Flame Trakks are amazing! Ive been running 3x3 of them in my speed freaks list and they are a huge reason why I win. If they get shot oh well there cheap and my other stuff gets stuck in to CC. If you ignore them they roast your troops. Win Win either way.