PDA

View Full Version : 3000pts of High Elves (Caledor)

GenerationTerrorist
15-05-2013, 21:37
Hi guys, this is my very first attempt at a list with the lovely new High Elf army book.
I've reverted back to my old Caledor theme (models sitting on shelves, etc!) now that I can run a 100% cavalry list.
I feel it is fast, hard hitting and pretty resilient against any non-warmachine shooting.
As always, feel free to comment, offer suggestions, or just tear it to pieces!

LORDS

Prince - 640pts
Dragon Armour, Star Dragon
Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation

HEROES

Noble - 165pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour,
Sword of Anti-Heroes, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar

Mage - 160pts
Lvl2 (High Magic), Barded Steed, Dispel Scroll

CORE

15 Silver Helms - 375pts
Shields, Full Command

15 Silver Helms - 375pts
Shields, Full Command

SPECIAL

19 Dragon Princes - 661pts (BSB & Mage Here)
Full Command, Star Lance, Banner of the World Dragon

RARE

Frostheart Phoenix

Frostheart Phoenix

Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower

TOTAL - 2996pts

Forsworn
15-05-2013, 22:17
Very nice. I was actually hoping to make a Caledorian themed army. My take on it:

Lords:
- Appropriate. I like it quite a bit. Personally, I might go for the Leaping Blade, and Talisman of Endurance. 2+, 5++ is still pretty formidable, and having 7 attacks at his WS with ASF and re-rolls is nothing to scoff at.

Heroes:
- Noble: I'd go Star Lance, Crown, Potion of Foolhardiness, Charmed Shield for his items. 4 S7 attacks that ignore armor on the charge is quite good. Not sure how to go afterwards, but I gave him Dragon Armor and a Halberd and prayed when I rolled ward saves, basically.
- Mage: Not bad. I don't know if you'd want to go High Magic. I'd think Metal, Beasts, Life, and Shadow would work better. THey all have good buffs that work as force multipliers.

Core:
- Dragon Princes ARE the Silver Helms of Caledor. I'd personally go with militia (Spears/Archers) in Caledorian colors. You need an anvil for your Dragon Princes.

Special:
- I'd break up the Dragon Princes. Supporting ranks cannot do their full attacks, so you lose that bonus. The last rank cannot even attack, so you are basically getting 29 point ablative wounds. . . . I've always thought of Dragon Princes as a way to add a ton of Combat Resolution with flank charges. Also, the Star Lance is useless after a charge, so if anything, I'd put the Ogre Blade on this guy, if you want. Having someone go S5 all the time is probably better than a single set of S6 with the Star Lance.

Rare:
- I think the Bolt Throwers aren't doing anything for you. Maybe switch them out for more Dragon Princes? Shadow Warriors, Sword Masters, and Phoenix Guard are all units that could show up in Caledor (especially the Sword Masters), since they are all roving/traveling groups.
- Since you don't have any anvils, I think the Phoenixes aren't all that good for you. I'd personally have one Phoenix, trade the other and Bolt Throwers for Sword Masters, White Lions, or Phoenix Guard.

I'd basically switch some of the magic items around, go MSU for the Dragon Princes (or at least 2 units), Get some Spearmen blocks for Anvils, and switch a Phoenix and Bolt Throwers for a set of Sword Masters or White Lions so as to have another Hammer to throw at units. That's just my thoughts, and I haven't played that much, so I don't have that much experience.

Kahadras
15-05-2013, 22:21
IMHO the 19 Dragon Princes unti is too big. The unit will hit hard but then will bog down. I'd advise dropping 5 Princes from the unit and try to make the BSB a bit cheaper. I'd probably drop the Bolt Throwers as well and go for Eagles. With the points saved I'd go for a Hero on a Griffon and run with 6 flying units.

Kahadras

Time of Madness
15-05-2013, 22:32
A caledor army with only one dragon? At least squeeze a dragon mage in there. I'd drop the bolt throwers for eagles as many as you can get.

To find points for the dragon mage reduce the princes to 14 (15 with the bsb).
Time of Madness

GenerationTerrorist
15-05-2013, 22:36
Wow, cheers guys. I will have a tinker with the list tomorrow night and report back :-)

Leonathion
16-05-2013, 07:52
Use dragon prince helmets on the PG to make them household guard or something like that. I'd also add an anvil instead of those silver helms, but your oponent is going to be freaked out by that amount of cavalry, so perhaps it's a nice touch. I'd also do eagles over bolt throwers. Phoenix seems unnecessary, add dragonmage for feeling.

Elyeva
16-05-2013, 16:06
Nice list! Chance to replace bolt throwers for flying chariot with a bolt thrower? Then everything is mounted :P (Or great eagles of course)

thrawn
16-05-2013, 17:38
IMHO the 19 Dragon Princes unti is too big. The unit will hit hard but then will bog down. I'd advise dropping 5 Princes from the unit and try to make the BSB a bit cheaper. I'd probably drop the Bolt Throwers as well and go for Eagles. With the points saved I'd go for a Hero on a Griffon and run with 6 flying units.

Kahadras

19 dragon princes is too big. split into two.

the bolt throwers are good but your basically abandoning them, keep that in mind.

take lore of metal instead of high magic and dump bolt throwers. sear doom can take out knights, and with the points take a skycutter.

GenerationTerrorist
16-05-2013, 20:38
Thanks again, guys.
I guess the DP unit is far too large! I was intending to run them 7*3 as a full on sledgehammer unit.
The reasoning behind the High Magic on the Mage was the buffs to Ward Saves on top of the Dragon Armour.
I will drop the DP to a unit of 12 with the Noble/Mage and run them 7*2.

In all honesty, I did think of running a Dragon Mage with Lvl2, Dragon Armour and Power Stone. That would fit just nicely inside my 750pts Hero allowance.
The Phoenix models have yet to be acquired, and the Bolt Throwers are what I own. I can see the point about the latter getting abandoned. Thinking about it, I would drop everything in Rare and add a pair of Eagles.

With the points left over, maybe a nice block of PG (even Spearmen will suffice?!) to anvil a flank while the rest decimates the other side?

It is so nice to be able to contemplate full-blooded aggressive High Elf lists, after the previous edition seemed to give me nothing but defensive tactics and Magic supremacy as a way to victory.

Also, as mentioned above - I would love to have a camera ready when I put down 2 Dragons and 3 large Cavalry blocks on the other side of the table from my opponent :-)

Kahadras
16-05-2013, 22:23
take lore of metal instead of high magic

In this type of list I would advise Beasts over Metal in this type of army. Virtualy every unit is either cavalry or monsters so you'll get a good return from the lore attribute.

With the points left over, maybe a nice block of PG (even Spearmen will suffice?!) to anvil a flank while the rest decimates the other side?

The one concern with this is the unit's ability to keep up with the rest of the army. You either run the rest of the army at full tilt and leave them behind or have to limit your mobility to make sure you bring each element of your army into the game at the same point. One thing you could do is give the unit the Banner of Swiftness bumping them up to a march move of 12 which would help them keep up. The current list that I'm planning to run at 2000 points looks like this...

Prince + Dragon

Noble + Griffon
Mage + Steed

10 Silver Helms x2

5 Dragon Princes

Frostheart Phoenix
Eagle x2

Kahadras

SteveW
16-05-2013, 22:46
I take it youre not rolling for scenarios so Ill refrain from pointing out the lack of infantry....oops. I kid.

You have zero chaff and can find yourself redirected rather eisily to stop this Id trim a few silver helms off and add a few reavers. I like the idea of 19 DP's with a mage and noble, im guessing youre going to run them 7 wide to maximize supporting attacks?

Elyeva
17-05-2013, 07:25
Isn't 6 wide a better option because of the size of the base? They dont have more attacks compared to 6 wide while attacking a unit of a 5 wide unit with normal base.

Elyeva
17-05-2013, 07:27
When removing 3 DP you have 87 points left, almost enough to build a reaver unit of 5 :)