PDA

View Full Version : John Blanche & Primarchs

Shibboleth
16-05-2013, 04:29
I'm just a bit concerned about the lack of creativity I've noticed in the non-Blanche artistic interpretations of the Primarchs.

We have official Blanche artwork for most, but not all, of the Primarchs, and even if his style may be disagreeable to some, his interpretations are very creative, and if, when other artists portray those same characters in artwork or even models, they stick to Blanche's design it can still be made to work, thus giving us all a consistent idea of what the Primarch 'really' looked like.

I think this is most evident in Angron. As always, Blanche's depiction is larger than life, which is befitting for such a mythical character. It's not what one might've expected yet it works, especially when other artists carry on that same depiction in their own style. When FW made the Angron model they stuck to that basic design, making it work on a real human form - so now we've got something very recognisable, very iconic and characterful.

Another good example is Rogal Dorn.
Who would've expected that giant eagle mounted behind his head?
I'd never thought to give him that, and it makes you stop and think if that's what you really wanted to see as Rogal Dorn, yet when other artists follow that template it still works really well (as can be seen on the cover of 'The Primarchs' from BL),
and I can't wait to see it in a FW model form.

It's the creativity John Blanche has that gives these characters a deeper level of life than just the words we've read for years - unfortunately something I haven't seen from other official artists...
For example Lorgar.
No Blanche artwork exists for Lorgar (that I know of), so when Black Library has made artwork for him, and thus setting his 'official image', they haven't had that Blanche creativity so ended up just making Lorgar look like an up-scaled standard Space Marine, in gold.
A bit disappointing to the fans I think.

The same with Corax, no official Blanche artwork, so we get an upscaled Space Marine, with a jump pack.
It looks good, but still, ordinary.

Guilliman, again... with his powerfists.

So, I think someone needs to urgently commission John Blanche to create official artist interpretations for the Primarchs he hasn't yet covered, for Black Library's sake, and preferably before FW makes the official models of them all...

KhornateLord
16-05-2013, 05:02
Is there an official depiction of the Night Haunter / Curze?

Inquisitor Engel
16-05-2013, 05:14

Nope. There's not even a consistent image of him in armour in writing.

stainawarjar
16-05-2013, 12:48

Here you go: 170915

Abaraxas
16-05-2013, 13:25
Horror and moral terror are your friends...

Always pictured the primarchs closely resembling the early 90s space marine captains...but still cant thelp but think of horus, the emp and sang looking like Mcveys diorama...and Russ will always look like the old mini to me too (my first mini)
I dont get the JB hate, personally-the guy defines 40k.

Johnnya10
16-05-2013, 13:39
Do we not count the covers of Black Library books from the Horus Heresry series as being 'Official'?

Poseidal
16-05-2013, 14:27
I agree, we need Blanche to override the boring depictions a load of them are getting. A Marine with ++size and more bling isn't good enough, there has to be design that echoes the character.

All Cing Eye
17-05-2013, 00:23
I agree, we need Blanche to override the boring depictions a load of them are getting. A Marine with ++size and more bling isn't good enough, there has to be design that echoes the character.

I second this. Someone should get him to complete drawings of all 18 primarchs.

PrehistoricUFO
17-05-2013, 01:02
I didn't know Blanche did a Roboute drawing. I tried googling it, doesn't look like Blanche's work.

Grimbad
17-05-2013, 05:46
Well, I mean, if it was up to me, I'd agree with this and say it should go for absolutely everything else in 40k too. It feels like a lot of the big flashy fantasy minis seem to have more of a blanche touch than any of the recent new 40k stuff.

Shibboleth
17-05-2013, 05:49
As far as I know there isn't a Roboute pic by Blanche.
The BL pics are just a scaled up space marine with the twin powerfists. I don't even think they're the proper Gauntlets of Ultramar (yet?)

cornonthecob
17-05-2013, 08:34
Blanche works on very good stylised ideas and images fused together. Hence Dorn embodying everything 'Imperial' .

The Warmaster
17-05-2013, 10:59
For example Lorgar.
No Blanche artwork exists for Lorgar (that I know of), so when Black Library has made artwork for him, and thus setting his 'official image', they haven't had that Blanche creativity so ended up just making Lorgar look like an up-scaled standard Space Marine, in gold.
A bit disappointing to the fans I think.

To be fair, that's EXACTLY what they wanted Lorgar to look like, at least before he became full-on corrupted. The descriptions of him in The First Heretic and the cover art go together perfectly. He's not meant to be fancy-looking - in his loyalist days, he was supposed to look like a hybrid of a religious ascetic and an upscaled Space Marine, wearing nothing that he didn't need to have, hence having him decked out in that simple Crusade/Iron hybrid armour.

As far as Corax goes, though, I agree entirely. That was a wasted opportunity.

Art Is Resistance
17-05-2013, 12:44
Do we not count the covers of Black Library books from the Horus Heresry series as being 'Official'?

Yup, they're the 'canon' versions.

If anyone tells you otherwise, wait for the new Collected Visions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JWhex
18-05-2013, 03:33
I suppose what the BL books need to be commercialy successful though runs more along the lines an illustration rather than what one would call art. I think the picture with the primarchs all lined up on the balcony is pretty gaktacular.

I am always in favor of more Blanche artwork though. I really miss the old line work by Adrian Smith, his stuff was fantastic.

Mit Gas
18-05-2013, 12:48
^ Is Adrian Smith no longer working for GW?

That would be such a shame, the guy paints like a god and he also has that weirdness in his pictures (plus he makes Chaos marines and warriors look so damn cool) that Blanche oozes and that defined 40k. Love both of them, even if they're completely different in style.

Art Is Resistance
18-05-2013, 16:03
Adrian Smith is / was a freelancer IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

still-young
18-05-2013, 17:01
What sort of things would you suggest to make them stand out more? Corax for example. It might just be my lack of creativity, but what aside from fancy armour and a fancy jet pack can you really do? His wargear is already determined in the books, and he is essentially a bigger space marine. I would just like to say I agree with you, I definitely think creativity is important with the primarchs, they are essentially all very individual. I just personally wouldn't know what to add.

Losing Command
18-05-2013, 18:10
As far as I know there isn't a Roboute pic by Blanche.
The BL pics are just a scaled up space marine with the twin powerfists. I don't even think they're the proper Gauntlets of Ultramar (yet?)

The Gauntlets of Ultramar were aquired áfter the HH by the Ultramarines. They were claimed from a chaos marine champion (just like the Axe of Morkai) It's funny how many of the super-powerfull relics of the loyalists are stolen from chaosmarines :D

viv714r
18-05-2013, 18:33
The Gauntlets of Ultramar were aquired áfter the HH by the Ultramarines. They were claimed from a chaos marine champion (just like the Axe of Morkai) It's funny how many of the super-powerfull relics of the loyalists are stolen from chaosmarines :D
Not Chaos Marines as such, they were the weapons of Ostrominus the II, that most noble son of the Ostrogoths, the XI Legion who were declared traitors. Of course, what I'm telling you is heresy of the highest order and... hold on, there's someone at the door.

ntw3001
18-05-2013, 19:11
What sort of things would you suggest to make them stand out more? Corax for example. It might just be my lack of creativity, but what aside from fancy armour and a fancy jet pack can you really do? His wargear is already determined in the books, and he is essentially a bigger space marine. I would just like to say I agree with you, I definitely think creativity is important with the primarchs, they are essentially all very individual. I just personally wouldn't know what to add.

That's really the problem. 40k is so influenced by John Blanche that things he produces can fit in when they would be ridiculous by anyone else's standards. He created the mood, and captures it so well that he doesn't need to obey the 'pictures should make sense' rule other artists are held to. Rogal Dorn's eagle would come across as laughable bling if it had been introduced on a BL cover. Other artists trying to replicate 'the Blanche look' run a very serious risk of creating Inquisitor Karamazov. So it's hard for someone to describe how they want the Primarchs to look beyond 'I want them to look like they were designed by John Blanche'.

still-young
18-05-2013, 19:21
That's really the problem. 40k is so influenced by John Blanche that things he produces can fit in when they would be ridiculous by anyone else's standards. He created the mood, and captures it so well that he doesn't need to obey the 'pictures should make sense' rule other artists are held to. Rogal Dorn's eagle would come across as laughable bling if it had been introduced on a BL cover. Other artists trying to replicate 'the Blanche look' run a very serious risk of creating Inquisitor Karamazov. So it's hard for someone to describe how they want the Primarchs to look beyond 'I want them to look like they were designed by John Blanche'.

Okay I think I get what your saying... So you don't know what you'd add, but you know JB would add something cool?