PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones themed "Mother of Dragons" High elf army (fun/semi competitive)

masquerade81
17-05-2013, 14:18
Ok, so after 8 years away from FB, i have decided to get me a new project that is more of a hobby/paint project than a full min/max tournament list. I still don't have the new HE book, but borrowed my friends book to get a feel on what i could take into 3000pts. army or so. The list is still a draft without any magic item upgrades.

The list is based on the army of Daenerys Stormborn and her army of unsullied, bloodriders and sellswords. So here is the list:

lvl 4 mage on dragon (Daenerys) (also was thinking of getting a lvl4 mage on a steed or on foot for smaller games)

lvl 2 mage (handmaiden od Dany) (optional)

noble (Sir Jorah) (optional)

Core:

35-45 lothern seaguard, FC (full command) (the Unsullied)

20 archers (the slaves)

5 ellyrian reavers (Dothraki outriders)

5 ellyrian reavers (Dothraki outriders)

Special:
16-20 swordmasters FC (sellswords)
16-20 swordmasters FC (sellswords)
12 dragon princes FC ( Bloodriders)

Rare:
3 great eagles (possibly will proxy them as small dragons)

Would this be a playable fun/semi competitive list with the right upgrades etc?. I'm looking for a 2000-2500-3000 pts. variations with the list by removing a bit here and there, but mainly keeping the list somewhat the same. Comments and criticism welcome!

Dr Rockso
17-05-2013, 15:03
First of all I love you. Second have you read the books or is this show inspired. Just so I don't spoil anything. Third the list is playable so no worries there.

SimaoSegunda
17-05-2013, 20:52
It's good, although I'd have thought Spearmen would have been better for the Unsullied, as I don't recall them having bows. Other than that, the army looks good.

masquerade81
18-05-2013, 00:05
I am currently reading feast for crows half way through and soon starting dance of the dragons, so please no spoilers beyond the third book (two books). As for the unsullied, i could just use the guard as spearmen to save points and make a barristan instead of jorah :P and thx for the comments, i ran this same list through dakkadakka and the idea of using HE was crushed, but no worries, this list is still gonna happen ;)

Gaargod
18-05-2013, 00:12
Technically, Unsullied didn't have bows (least as far as I remember), as others have mentioned.

Daenarys is a mage why now? I mean, sure, you need it for balance purposes...

Barristan/Jorah would make entirely reasonable Princes/Nobles, as mentioned. Maybe as a BSB?

Kalerith
18-05-2013, 00:38
I have only seen the show so ill comment before people start throwing spoilers around.
Firstly the list is actually fairly competetive. Sorcerers are the only female options fo the High Elves model selection so i understand both your choice for the model , but the army will play better with a level 4 within its ranks i believe. Also the dragon proxies for the eagles would be really awesome :D
Are you planning on using other models for this army or are you restricting yourselves to the High Elves range? I believe GW have some lesser dragon models around in their range as well. I believe the marauder horsemen could make som cool dothrakians. The sellsword I guess could be anything if you proxy them with something, so you could take White Lions in there as well. This would make the list somewhat more versitile if you could find logical options to include more of the entries in the army. But the idea behind the army is sweet. Post picks as you go please ^^

masquerade81
18-05-2013, 00:47
I know Dany was no sorcerer, but rather a slayer of some ;) but don't really feel using her as a princess in loads of magical armor or weapons. I imagined using her as fire mage perhaps and the fire she was casting were actually from the dragon. The marauder horsemen are a good idea, and when i have the money, will propably change my IOB reavers for them.

I'm allready going to use dark elf sorceress models for dany and her handmaiden and am looking for a good jorah/barristan models. the empire general box looks as a good buy, as it gives me both a mounted hero and a bsb to use as jorah or barristan :P

masquerade81
18-05-2013, 15:31
Oh nice... GW sells little dragons and drakes on their online page so will propably get three of them and proxy them as great eagles :) just have to make high scenic bases for them to make them as high as the eagles, but this should not be a problem.

Kyte
19-05-2013, 01:02
The spirit of the internet, I summon yee to participate in a spell composed of the ancient sacred words: "Pics or it didn't happen!"

SteveW
19-05-2013, 01:07
a dogs of war style list that takes from every army would be another way to go, but this is a good start.

The Lurkin Gherkin
19-05-2013, 02:19
You could go all-out Valyrian theme with dragons! Using Aegon the Conqueror as a Lord on Dragon.

Anway, this will be awesome to see done! Looking forward to any pics

masquerade81
24-05-2013, 08:49
After some concideration i am leaning towards an idea of a game of thrones Daenerys inspired list of HE rather than trying to shuehorn a straight representation of the "mother of dragons" into WHFB world.

I was thinking of something like this for fluff: The high elves have cast princess Daenerys out from their realm, because they think of her dabling in the dark arts after she went through the phoenix gate without burning. The current phoenix king didn't like this and drowe Dany to exile, but Dany got two followers from the high elves (jorah and barristan) who brought their levies to back up Danys claim to the phoenix throne. Together they wander the deserts in search of more supporters to gather up enough forces to take back Danys claim to the throne.

Still need to work the dragons in there somehow. Possibly Dany was carrying the eggs and the phoenix gate heated them up. Also i was thinking that the reason Dany went throuh rhe gate was that that his husband was trying to go through, bit got birned and died and dany ran after him (adding Khal Drogo in there in the fluff :P ).

So how does this sound. The fluff still needs loads more work and suggestions are welcome :)