PDA

View Full Version : Representing Kor Phaeron in-game

Chapters Unwritten
17-05-2013, 14:19
I've decided on my Word Bearers force being led by a Kor Phaeron styled leader. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about what armaments make the most sense for him.

I know in Know No Fear, which my army is styled after, he had a few core tenets:

- He had a powerful warp-based shooting attack.
- He wore Terminator armor
- He was a human being who was made to be able to use the Terminator armor, not a marine.

To this end I've opted to go with a Chaos Sorceror in Terminator armor to represent Kor Phaeron. I think the lackluster stats on the Sorceror in combat will simulate that he is/was a mere mortal works well, and I will probably shoot for Tzeentch for the shooting attack or Biomancy for the powers of the warp he seemed to benefit from. The Mark of Tzeentch seems appropriate as well. I will probably keep him mastery level 1.

Where I'm really hung up is what weapons to give him. Frankly, I don't recall what weapons he was armed with in the book. I assume the famous Maces of the Word Bearers were there. What I had planned to do was give him a suitably ornate mace of some kind and then have it counts-as two weapons, a force weapon and a power weapon, in order to accommodate two modes (two handed and one handed).

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a Kor Phaeron like character?

agurus1
17-05-2013, 16:37
Well first off force weapons are power weapons with the special rule "Force"

Secondly I would stay away from MoT, since a a word bearer he would worship all of the gods as a pantheon and not subscribe to any particular deity.

Someone else can probably answer this, but wasn't he a retry powerful sorcerer? I mean he almost took out a primarch right? Maybe you can up his mastery level a bit to represent this?

Menthak
17-05-2013, 16:42
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/b/b7/Kor_Phaeron.jpg Taken from the Lexicanum, so I can't vouch 100% for it's validity.

And doesn't mark of tzeentch turn the sorceror into a level 2?

Other then that I'd love to see it, although which head are you going to use? I'd say huron blackhearts (if you Greenstuff over it to make it more even)

Craftworld
17-05-2013, 17:04
I'd avoid a specific mark - as the Chaos lore seem mediocre - and just purchase mastery levels. This allows you to take more goodies from the BRB.

Give him terminator armor, a force stave (to represent his crozius), gift of mutation, and a dark sigil as a rosarius.

TheDungen
17-05-2013, 17:42
this is why sorceror apostle and warsmith should be upgrades.

Any way after a couple of millennia worth of chaos gifts will probably more than make up for the fact that he wasn't full marine.

Chapters Unwritten
17-05-2013, 17:58
I'd avoid a specific mark - as the Chaos lore seem mediocre - and just purchase mastery levels. This allows you to take more goodies from the BRB.

Give him terminator armor, a force stave (to represent his crozius), gift of mutation, and a dark sigil as a rosarius.Since he's a 2-wound HQ I was hoping to use the MoT just to improve his invulnerable save, though I can see an argument for not getting a mark and giving him Mastery Levels just the same. I just wanted him to be capable in combat.

As for my earlier power weapon mention, I meant that I might buy him a second power weapon of a different variety, so that he has two profiles to attack with (and an additional attack). He's only I4 so survival seems to be a good thing for him. Though I will model him with a crazy mace I like the idea of giving him two weapons to count as, so it's like two profiles for the mace. I'm thinking Power Mace and Force Axe (so a weaker I1 attack that is instant death).I'm tempted to go the Lightning Claw / Power Fist route but that is expensive.

Though I guess a lot of these options don't affect the model too much; I could probably build the model and then test drive a lot of these options.

For Kor Phaeron's head, I have a bad cast of Huron just sitting off to the side waiting to get his head chopped off...

Bobthemime
17-05-2013, 18:23
Since he's a 2-wound HQ I was hoping to use the MoT just to improve his invulnerable save, though I can see an argument for not getting a mark and giving him Mastery Levels just the same. I just wanted him to be capable in combat.

As for my earlier power weapon mention, I meant that I might buy him a second power weapon of a different variety, so that he has two profiles to attack with (and an additional attack). He's only I4 so survival seems to be a good thing for him. Though I will model him with a crazy mace I like the idea of giving him two weapons to count as, so it's like two profiles for the mace. I'm thinking Power Mace and Force Axe (so a weaker I1 attack that is instant death).I'm tempted to go the Lightning Claw / Power Fist route but that is expensive.

Though I guess a lot of these options don't affect the model too much; I could probably build the model and then test drive a lot of these options.

For Kor Phaeron's head, I have a bad cast of Huron just sitting off to the side waiting to get his head chopped off...

Talking about Huron..

Use Lugft?

Chapters Unwritten
17-05-2013, 21:04
One of the reasons I'm doing this is because I would prefer to be unique. Huron is a one-trick pony and I don't really particularly like the trick he does. :)

Overlord Krycis
18-05-2013, 04:06
I haven't read Know no Fear, but in The First Heretic, wasn't he armed with Lightning Claws?

Ssilmath
18-05-2013, 04:44
Well, for a devastating psychic attack you may want to look at Psychic Shriek from Telepathy. I'd go with ML 2, for the extra power but mostly so that you can use the Force Weapon after making a psychic attack. As for weapons, Power Axe and The Black Mace perhaps? Seems to me that the Black Mace would be suitably 'uber crozius' to me and give him some decent versatility in who he fights. Terminator armor with a Sigil of Corruption is pretty decent (I run one with the Mark of Tzeentch and a Force Axe, and he is a beast in challenges) and Gift of Mutation for some random, warp gifted goodness.

A Shadow
18-05-2013, 06:21
I think in Know No Fear he has power gauntlets of some description