PDA

View Full Version : Stacking HE ward saves

thrawn
17-05-2013, 15:09
so there are lots of ways to get ward saves in the new HE back, but what stacks and what does not? if you put an annointed (gives unit 6++) in a unit of sword masters (6++ vs shooting) with the iron curse cross (6++ vs. warmachines) does this unit now get a 4++ vs war machines and 5++ vs all other shooting? if a HE mage joins the unit and casts a spell from the high magic lore does the unit now have a 3++ vs. shooting?

what stacks? what does not?

theunwantedbeing
17-05-2013, 15:26
Only the lore attribute stacks.

*Edit......and magical resistance if you have it

Asensur
17-05-2013, 15:28
so there are lots of ways to get ward saves in the new HE back, but what stacks and what does not? if you put an annointed (gives unit 6++) in a unit of sword masters (6++ vs shooting) with the iron curse cross (6++ vs. warmachines) does this unit now get a 4++ vs war machines and 5++ vs all other shooting? if a HE mage joins the unit and casts a spell from the high magic lore does the unit now have a 3++ vs. shooting?

First, you must choose your better ward save (in this case, you choose one of the 6++).

Then, apply modifiers to ward save (Magic resist, High magic lore attribute, etc).

also, remember that regeneration it is not a ward save.

For example.

One source, gives you 6++.

Other source gives you 5++.

Third source gives you Regen (5+).

Fourth source gives you +1 Ward save.

So, first you must decide if you use your ward save or regeneration save.

If you decide to use your regeneration save, you get a final roll of 5+ (+1 ward save does not apply)

If you decide yo use your ward save, you must decide your better ward save (in this case 5++ vs 6++), and then apply the +1 ward save modifier. Getting a final roll of 4++

Minsc
17-05-2013, 15:42

Nothing stacks, except the Lore of High Magic lore attribute (and magic resistance as per usual.)

In your example, you would have a 6+ ward vs warmachines, a 6+ ward vs shooting (including warmachines) and a regular 6+ ward. Basically having the Anointed and the Ironcurse Icon in the same unit is a waste.
If you however had a mage in said unit, who succésfully casted a high magic-spell, you would have a 5+ ward vs warmachines/shooting/everything.

Personally I think that the wardsave granted by the Anointed should stack with everything (suddenly there would actually be a good reason to put him in Phoenix Guards, his unit), but that's just wishthinking from my part. :p

warplock
17-05-2013, 17:33
Ward saves don't stack willy nilly, they only stack if it is stated that they do. The only ward save HE have which stacks is the save granted by their lore attribute. This can increase any existing ward. So, Ironcurse icon plus lore attribute (Shield of Saphery) gives a 5++. Ironcurse icon plus 2 SoS gives a 4++. Phoenix Guard plus SoS gives a 3++. But the Anointed's 6++ doesn't increase any of these, except that it stacks with SoS just like any other ward.

thrawn
22-05-2013, 20:00
your all right, it was just an idea i thought of but didn't think thru. it would have been nice if they stacked, i'm noticing in my games my elves are very soft. mind you i've been playing chaos dwarfs now for almost 2 years.

Fenrir1
26-05-2013, 17:02
what about this situation. You have a unit of phoenix guard (4++) and you have a character that can cast high magic but also has MR1. You cast a spell successfully in your magic phase; do you.....
A) get the +1 ward save bringing it down to 3++ then have the MR1 bringing it to a 2++ (if your hit by a spell)
B) the MR1 is applied first making the high magic lore attribute ineffective.

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2013, 18:10
what about this situation. You have a unit of phoenix guard (4++) and you have a character that can cast high magic but also has MR1. You cast a spell successfully in your magic phase; do you.....
A) get the +1 ward save bringing it down to 3++ then have the MR1 bringing it to a 2++ (if your hit by a spell)
B) the MR1 is applied first making the high magic lore attribute ineffective.

The magical resistance would never be applied first.

Shiro_the_red
26-05-2013, 18:15
I´ve allready asked this question once but there was no definite answer to it
The Scneario:

A High Mage inside a Swordmaster Unit + noble with the merwyrm shield, casts 2 High Magic spells.
Which Ward Save does each model have?
Do the SM´s have a 5+ Ward-Save against CC?
Does the noble have a 3+ parry and a normal 5+ ward?
Would the SM´s get a 4+ against shooting?
etc.

I think the question is obvious: Does SoS apply to EVERY ward save you have AND give you ward save if you don´t have a (matching) one?

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2013, 18:24
I think the question is obvious: Does SoS apply to EVERY ward save you have AND give you ward save if you don´t have a (matching) one?

Yes, that's exactly what it does.