PDA

View Full Version : Using Other Models for Fortifications

Polaria
18-05-2013, 06:24
I've been thinking about adding some Fortifications to my Chaos arsenal but I was thinking of personalizing them past the "add spikes" theme... Or, rather, using other models altogether.

So, how would you feel about using these as Bastion and Defense Line:

Also, how should this rulesbook text be interpreted: "Weapons: Four emplaced heavy bolters (typically one on each facing)" (BRB p.116)
Does the "typically" -part mean that you can actually mount them any way you wish, like two, three or all four per side or in corners?

JC1
18-05-2013, 08:00
As long as any defence line you make is not longer or of a different height than the gw model, I can't see anyone giving you any negative reaction. As for the bastion, that imperial bunker is much shorter and wider than the official gw model. In a friendly game I'd allow it, but at a tournament I could see you having problems because you could use the extra width to hide your army for an advantage. As for the heavy bolters, in my area, we have agreed the heavy bolters have to be on each facing, because putting them all on one or two side gives too much of an advantage compared. Though this is more a house rule, but as the rule book is vague enough some people may allow it.

effbomber
18-05-2013, 08:49
This is why I hate the inclusion of scenery as part of army lists. It's such a cynical move to push more of their scenery, and to stop people buying scenery from anyone else.

So just as a matter of principle, I say use whatever you like, or the bean counters win.

JC1
18-05-2013, 09:28
I really like the addition of fortifications, though it fits more with certain armies than for others. For example I really like the idea of imperial guardsmen setting up a defence line. Though it would have worked better in older editions where the missions were attacker/defender based. Really though fortifications were a necessary stopgap to give older armies skyfire until their new codex is released. But beyond being cynical regarding the GW sales team, I think the fortifications are fairly balanced and in my experience have been a nice addition to play with and against. The addition of fortifications in no way limits where you can buy your scenery. The only limit is that if you are going to go the route of conversion you should make your fortification similar dimensions to the GW official model, just as you would for any other model you converted for your army. This is because ultimately a fortification is a unit in your army, in that you deploy it for your own strategic advantage, not just a piece of battlefield terrain.

Polaria
18-05-2013, 09:30
This is why I hate the inclusion of scenery as part of army lists.

Well, I'm actually happy because for some armies having fortifications is fluffy and thematic choice. Putting point cost just means the fortifications could be given proper rules AND they get to table. I mean who on earth would let me take Bastion for my army for free?

Worldeaters
18-05-2013, 09:56
I made my own using the bastions dimensions to be in the shape of the khorne logo, the four bolters are all facing forward in the teeth (another reference to the 'teeth of khorne') and have made a comms relay out of random bits and quad gun out of a defiler arm, bike handle bars and radar screen and the hades autocannons from my maulerfiend kit.
Am quite pleased with it myself if I may say so and it only cost a couple of quid!

JC1
18-05-2013, 10:02
Well, I'm actually happy because for some armies having fortifications is fluffy and thematic choice. Putting point cost just means the fortifications could be given proper rules AND they get to table. I mean who on earth would let me take Bastion for my army for free?
:yes:

Nothing more satisfying than levelling a bastion full of troops aswell. Those medusa bastion breacher shells finally get to fulfil their fluffy role. Wish they'd clarify the bastion rules for the emplaced heavy bolters though.

MajorWesJanson
18-05-2013, 10:03
I'm still waiting for faction specific scenery. A Tau Basion with 4 Burst cannons and a Heavy Rail Rifle or Ion Cannon on the roof. Ork Defense line that can take a Flakka Dakka gun, Kannon, Zzapp gun, or Lobba. Eldar Webway gate. Tyranid Spore Chimneys and Spawning pool.

jackers
18-05-2013, 10:05
I made my own using the bastions dimensions to be in the shape of the khorne logo, the four bolters are all facing forward in the teeth (another reference to the 'teeth of khorne') and have made a comms relay out of random bits and quad gun out of a defiler arm, bike handle bars and radar screen and the hades autocannons from my maulerfiend kit.
Am quite pleased with it myself if I may say so and it only cost a couple of quid!

I would love to see some pics :) That sounds awesome.

chromedog
21-05-2013, 00:58
I've got an old Ziterdes bastion that I occasionally use (it was seen in the old 3rd ed guard codex, and in the 2nd ed one as well).
Apart from that, bunkers from other games and manufacturers are in the terrain boxes and they get pulled out as needed.
I don't have a problem with it - but I come from a time before GW's "This is our new plastic stuff. Buy it and use it to make your games look more epic (and cost a sh^tload more).

21-05-2013, 01:19
GW has a set of Ork Barricades that actually look pretty good - combining with a set of FW flakka-gunz for a right proppa 'Egis Line of my own.