PDA

View Full Version : 2500ish pts HE vs O&G

Chacim
18-05-2013, 19:36
2500ish Points HE vs O&G

So this Battle Rep was played by a couple who wanted to learn how to play. So a friend and I loaned out our armies so that they could see the models and get some experience playing.

The High Elf List

Lord

Alarielle the Radiant

Hero

Noble
+BSB
+Heavy Armor
+Halbred
+The Banner of Avelorn

Core

15 Silver Helms
+Standard and shields
15 Silver Helms
+Standard and shields

Special

Skycutter
+Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower
Skycutter
+Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower

29 Phoenix Guard
+Full Command

Rare

10 Sisters of Avelorn
Frostheart
Flamespyre

Pregame discussion High Elves

So I kinda winged the list together from what I've been playing. As I wanted to try to give the full experience to the couple, I had flying MCs, Cav, Archers, Chariots, infantry, and magic so the only element missing was artillery. We kinda jotted down lists for them to play real fast keeping in mind this was their first experience with it and wanted to make it fun. So he wanted some lee way on his rares and I wanted some lee way on points (mostly a champion for the PG and a threw a halbred on the noble).

Orc and Goblin List

Lord
Savage Orc Great Shaman
+LvL 4
+Lucky Shrunken Head
+Obsidian Lodestone

Heroes

Night Goblin Shaman
+Forbidden Rod

Savage Orc Big Boss
+BSB
+Banner of Eternal Flame

Orc Big Boss
+Warboar
+Silvered Steel
+Great Weapon

Core

38 Savage Orcs
+Full Command
+Big Un's
+Additional Hand Weapon

40 Night Goblins
+Nets
+3 Fanatics
+Full Command

5 Forest Spider Riders

Special

6 Trolls

5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz
+Spears

5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz
+Spears

Rare

Arachnarok
Arachnarok

Mangler Squigs

Orc and Goblin Pregame Discussion
So my rares was off and the High Elves had a few extra points, I really just wanted to see 2 arachnaroks on the field again. Talk about some serious dust removal there. The last time I played with those models was I think two years ago. They made me so mad at a tournament where a treeman tied them up for three turns then killed one and over ran the other. 16 attacks for each 6 combats and not a single poison really irked me. I didn't want to over power the list so I avoided the 18 man troll horde and only brought 6. Gave me a lot of points so I put in a lot more MSU style stuff that I normally don't go for at all. Put in 5 forest riders, a couple of units of 5 man savage orcs with spears. It was very weird to me but I felt like I needed them to help keep his flyers under control. I couldn't bring myself to part with the savage orc big un's though. I just love them, clearly more then a horde of trolls. I pulled out my regular orcs and was gonna put them in... I swear, I have some great regular orc models... But the bad memories of them and all the good memories of savage orcs just swung me back to savage orcs. I felt the two lists were comparable though I was upset to discover that I didn't have my rock lobbas or spear chukkas (wtf, I have like 8 spear chukkas and 4 rock lobbas! Where did I put them! Grrr...).

Scenario
Battleline (Picked cause we didn't want to over do the rules)

Terrain (no mysterious terrain, just trying to keep it simple)

Upper left had a ordinary building, middle left held a forest, lower left had a chaos shrine, lower middle held a small hill, upper right had an ordinary building, middle right had a pair of gargoyle statues.

Deployment
High Elves won roll off (rolled a 6). (From left to right) the Frostheart deployed behind the Chaos Shrine, the Firespyre on the other side of the shrine, then a unit of silver helms, skycutter, Phoenix Guard, Sisters of Avelorn, silver helms, and then the last remaining skycutter. Alarielle went with the sisters and the BSB with the Phoenix Guard.

Orcs and Goblins (From left to right, HE perspective) Arachnarok behind building, Savage Orc Boar Boyz, Savage orc Big Un's, Night Goblins, Mangler Squigs, Forest Spider riders and Arachnarok (both behind building) and then finally a savage orc boar boyz unit. The orc shaman and BSB with the savage orcs, the N. Goblin sham with the goblins, Orc on boar with the trolls.

The Goblin Forest Spider Riders vanguard past the building.

The High Elves finished first and rolled another 6. (some one seemed to be having some serious beginner's luck)
High Elf Turn 1

Movement
Some minor movements, the flamespyre flew over to be a little forward and canter of the army (trying to get into position to potentially burn some gobos and pop and fanatics hiding in there if there are any. The Frostheart got on the other side of the Shrine.

Magic (Alarielle knew Earth Blood, Throne of Vines, Shield of Thorns and Dweller's Below)
5 and a 4

1st spell Throne of vines. 4 dice thrown. Successfully cast but not IF, O&G elects to dispel and rolls double 6s to dispel.

2nd spell Shield of thorns on the Silver helms. Successfully cast, not IF. Spell goes through.

Shooting
Far right skycutter hits the far right arachnarok and causes 2 wounds to it, the other skycutter shot the mangler squigs and took 2 wounds off it. Nothing was in range for the sisters.

Close Combat
None

Orc and Goblin Turn 1

Movement
All animosity tests past and stupidity test past.

Arachnarok heads into the forest, the savage orcs march forward 8, the boar boyz try to protect the rear area behind the savage orcs (from the flamespyre). The Night Goblins march 8, the mangler squigs bounce 13 forward, the trolls march 12, the arachnarok moves forward to hide behind some gargoyle statues, while the savage orc boar boyz moves forward and wheels for clear view of the silver helms.

Magic (Fists of Gork, Hand of Gork, 'Eadbutt, and Foot of Gork, and the goblin had Vindictive Glare)
1 and 3

1st spell Foot of Gork upgraded, 4 dice rolled not IF, Alarielle Dispels.

Shooting
None

Close Combat
None

Turn 2 High Elves

Charges

The far right skycutter into the 5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz. Stand and hold reaction, Skycutter auto makes charge.

Movement

Flamespyre flies over the Savage Orcs (only killing 3 out of 8 wounds) and the Frostheart flies just to the right of the Arachnarok (out of its LoS) The Phoenix Guard moves up just a little to keep the sisters out of danger.

Magic
6 and 1

1st Spell Throne of Vines, she rolls double 1s and breaks her concentration. O&G dispels Shield of Thorns.

Shooting
Bolt hits mangler squigs but fails to wound and the sisters kill it.

Close Combat
The impact hits kill 3 savage orc boar boyz, the crew killed another. The remaining orc and boar fail to wound. The Skycutter wins 5 -0 and orcs fail leadership. Overran off the board.

Orcs and Goblins Turn 2

No Charges. The Savage Orcs squabble!

Movement

The Arachnarok turns to face the frostheart, the Night goblins move forward 8, the boar boyz book it from the Flamespyre, the Forest Goblin Spider Riders and the Aracknarok sets up a big flank charge out of LoS on the silver helms.

Magic
6 and 2.

1st spell Vindictive Glare upgraded on a skycutter. 6 dice rolled and IF! Rolled 12 hits, wounded twice. 1 saved, 1 wound goes through.

We forgot to roll miscast

Shooting

Some pot shots from the arachnarok fails to wound the Frostheart.

Close Combat
None

Chacim
18-05-2013, 19:39
High Elves Turn 3

Charges
The Silver Helms into the trolls and the Phoenix Guard into the trolls. The Frostheart into the Aracknarok. All charges made successfully though the Aracknarok did manage to put a wound on the Frostheart from shooting. The phoenix Guard caused the fanatics to release from the Night Goblins. 2 fanatics only went 4 inches and 1 fanatic bounced through both Phoenix Guard and Silver Helms. Though it did end up being directly in the way of the Forest spider riders to the sisters. The fanatic only killed 1 phoenix guard and 1 Silver helm.

Movement
Alarielle breaks off from sisters and books it 10 inches away while the sisters reform to face aracknarok and forest goblin spider riders. The Skycutter comes back on the table and flies near the Night Goblins and the Flamespyre flies over the Savage Orc Boar Boyz killing 2 and settling to face to boar boyz.

Magic
6 and 1.

1st spell Throne of Vines 3 diced not IF. Goes off and no attempt to dispel.

2nd Spell Earth Blood on the Silver Helms. 4 diced not IF, was dispelled.

Shooting

1 bolt misses the other caused 2 wounds, 1 saves (both shot into the savage orcs).

Close Combat

The PG champion and the orc big boss duke it out with the Big Boss taking a wound but emerging the victor. The HE BSB swings 3 attacks and wounds with all three, killing a troll. The rest of the Phoenix guard swings and kills 1 more troll (pretty serious flub to wound), then the Silver Helms swing and kill 2 more leaving a troll with 1 wound left (14 wounds on the trolls and 1 wound on the orc big boss). One troll Vomits on the knights, killing 1 and the other troll swings into the phonix guard killing 1. The stomp was warded. Big time loss for the O&G side and double 1s are needed to stay, they fail and the knights elect to chase and the PG successfully restrains.

The Frostheart deals 2 wounds to the Arachnarok and the Arachnarok deals 3 poison attacks back. All 3 not saved and the Frostheart has 1 wound left and drawn combat.

Orcs and Goblins Turn 3

Charges

Night Goblins into PG, Goblins Forest Spider Riders into flank of PG, Arachnarok into flank of silverhelms. The Save Orc boar Boyz charge the Flamespyre. All charges successful. The Night goblins lose 1 to a fanatic on the charge in.

The trolls rally and turn to face Silver Helms.

1 fanatic moves through combat hitting the goblins (killing 6) and the silver helms (killing 1) then hitting the Gargoyle statues it died. Another fanatic rolled doubles and died, the other one moved off into the corner of the table.

Movement

The Savage Orcs march 8 forward.

Magic
3 and 1. Uses forbidden rod and gets 3 more powerdice, the goblin is sadly killed.

1st Spell is Foot of Gork upgraded version, 6 dice thrown IF! He first targets the Sisters of Avelorn and scatters it just far enough to only catch back rank. Fails to wound 1 and 4 sisters and squished. The spell continues and he targets Alarielle but scatters 4 inches off and misses her. Then the spell ends.

The miscast puts a wound on the Orc Shaman and eats his last powerdice.

Shooting.
None.

Close Combat

The Frostheart puts 2 wounds on the arachnarok before it again rolls 3 6s which are all failed and the Frostheart is dead! The arachnarok reforms towards silverhelms.

The nets in Night Goblin unit work and the PG is str 3.

Still the PG and the Noble kill 10 Night Goblins and 3 of the Forest Goblin Spider Riders. The knights swing and kill a Spider rider and puts a wound on the Arachnarok. The Forest spider rider flubs, the arachnarok kills 3. The Night goblins kill a PG. O&G side loses big time and the Night Goblins break and the Forest Spider rider breaks. The PG chases goblins and runs them down. The silver helms combat reform to face Arachnarok.

The Savage Orc Boar boyz lose 2 in combat and fail to hurt the Flamespyre though the last remaining boar boy manages to stay and fight another round.

High Elves turn 4

No Charges

Movement

The PG musician reforms and moves to be a anvil unit to the savage orc big uns. (Reformed to 5 wide from 7 wide) and both Skycutters fly behind the savage orcs, facing them setting up the rear charge.

Magic
3 and 1.

1st Spell is Earth Blood on the Silver Helms, all 4 dice. Not IF, O&G dispels.

Shooting

Both Bolts into the savage orcs flub.

Close Combat

The Flamespyre kills remaining boar and reforms to counter charge into flank of Savage Orc Big Uns.
The Arachnarok kills 2 silver helms, the silver helms inflict a wound back on the arachnarok. Silver helms pass leadership to fight another round.

Orc and Goblins turn 4

Charges
Trolls charge flank of Silver helms, Savage Orc Big Uns charge Phoenix Guard. Both Charges are successful.

Movement
The Arachnarok moves up to protect flank of Savage Orc Big Un's from the 15 Silver Helms.

Magic
2 and 3.

1st Spell is Fists of Gork, 5 dice thrown IF. Detonation kills 1 PG and 5 Savage Orc Big Un's!

Shooting
None

Close Combat

The Silver Helms cause a wound to the trolls which was regenerated away and a wound to the arachnarok which made it's armor save. The trolls and the arachnarok then killed 6 Silver Helms between them. The Silver Helms couldn't stomach it and fled but the arachnarok caught them and ran right into the sisters!

The Savage Orc Big Un's took 10 wounds but made 8 out of 10 5+ saves! They then turned around and caused 10 wounds back (the shaman flubbed 4 out of 5 attacks!), the PG only make 4 saves and with the lose of a full rank they have equal ranks and the O&G won by 5! PG couldnt handle it and was run down! The Savage Orcs ran 8 inches out. For a moment all seemed lost till we realized that the arachnarok wasn't protecting the flank any more and it was about to be a bad day for those orcs!

High Elves Turn 5

Charges

Both Skycutters(rear) the Flamespyre (Flank) and the Silver Helms (Flank) charge and make it!

Movement

Alarielle moves right in front of the Orc Shaman and gives him the finger.

Magic
3 and 1

1st Spell Earth Blood on Knights all 4 dice thrown not IF, was dispelled by a roll of double 6s.

Shooting
None

Close Combat

The Sister's fail to hurt the arachnarok and are wiped out.

The Savage Orcs put both the BSB and the Shaman to face the Knights hoping to cause 6 wounds and have a rank to be stubborn. The 2 chariots inflicted 7 impact hits which killed 5 savage orcs. The Silver Helms inflicted 6 wounds which killed 5, the Flamespyre killed 2 more and the crew and rocs killed another 4. The attacks back killed a silver helm (The Savage orc sham again super flubbed) and the a chariot took 2 wounds (the one with already a wound counter on it) and the other took 1. The Flamespyre didn't take any damage. Savage orcs super lost combat and was run down as both skycutters and the silver helms elected to chase, the Flamespyre made its retrain test. Both Skycutters went about 10 inches each but the silver helms went 3!

Orc and Goblins turn 5

An arachnarok declares a charge into the flank of the Silver Helms who elect to flee. The Silver helms roll 5 inches and are caught and the arachnarok hits Alarielle!

Movement

The trolls prevents the other arachnarok from doing much so the trolls march out of the way and the other arachnarok moves to threaten the skycutters.

Magic
None

Shooting
The free arachnarok takes pot shots at the heavily damaged skycutter and fails to hurt it.

Close Combat
It was hilarious when I mentioned that she has Heroic Killing Blow. She rolled a 1 and ASF reroll picked it up. The tension was heavy, if she rolled a 6, it was going to be epic. I practically begged for it from a high power, and time did seem to stretch out... A 5 was rolled! Drat! Still though, would have been awesome.

She almost made it, it was the thunderstomp that killed her.

High Elves Turn 6

No charges

Movement/Magic/Shooting

Flew out of LoS and pelted with bolts and fly overs from Flamespyre. No wounds though.

No Close Combat
Orc and Goblins Turn 6

Movements ensure that nothing gets super charged that cant be counter charged. Pot shots fail to hurt the damaged chariot.

High Elves turn 7 (Final Turn)

Super charge the arachnarok which failed to wound the Flamespyre.

Close Combat

Impact hits get it down to 1 wound left, the ASF elves fail to wound. The arachnorak swings at the same time as everything else and kills a chariot and puts a wound on the other, then it goes down.

Orcs and Goblins Turn 7

He decides to play it safe and take the minor victory, if by some odd ball chance the arachnorak is killed in combat he would lose the minor victory and come out with a draw. And even if he killed the skycutter or flamespyre he's still only come out with a minor victory.

All in all, an extremely close victory. The couple had a good time, he might be getting WoC (seems to be the army he is gravitating towards) which might draw her into as well. I was just surprised how close the game was and even as a bystander I got swept up into it. I really wanted to see Alarielle Heroic Killing Blow the Arachnarok. In fact, I think we all wanted to see it except for the guy playing the arachnarok! We all had a good laugh. It was fun to see the movements and it was fun to see some silver helms really do their job. Patience with cav really does seem to be the way of it. Some mistakes were made, but the decision making process was tactical and I think they have a good head for the game.

The game changers was definitely rolling consistantly 3 poisons on the Frostheart was huge, in my head I knew the arachnarok could beat the Frostheart down but I thought the Frostheart had the advantage. I figured average 1 poison then needing 6s to wound with the rest would be just to much, with a gobo here and there getting lucky (but they need 5s to hit and 6s to wound). So it was a shock to see it go down from it.

The Silver Helms only moving 3 on the overrun was also huge, just a few more inches and it would have gotten out of LoS from the close arachnarok and the trolls would have kept the other from getting to them.

Of course even before that the super luck with the savage orcs and the not so good luck on the Phoenix guard really changed it up.

Alarielle had bad winds of magic rolls, but she did have great dispel rolls. It was just a very boring magic game, with neither side really doing a whole lot.

All in all just a lot of fun and I wanted to share the story with you guys. Hopefully I can post some pictures from my phone up so you can see some high lights.

Ben81
26-05-2013, 10:19
Thanks for your report!