PDA

View Full Version : Saim-Hann or Biel-Tan

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 01:46
I have a small Eldar force that I have accrued over the years that has changed in size (Getting rid of certain units, acquiring new ones). I also have not been in 40k for a year and a half. However, I would like to ask the community which paint scheme to adopt for my Eldar. With the new release right around the corner and for enjoying the fluff I am stuck between these two Craftworlds.

Fluffwise, they each have their own rules, restrictions, and scheme. While I like the Wild Riders of Saim-Hann I prefer an Aspect Warrior heavy force which is more in line with Biel-Tan. Each have their own nice scheme. With the new Codex Release right around the corner, I wonder if I am better off waiting to see what has changed before I dive in. At the moment I have fairly few "Craftworld" units (Farseer, Warlocks, and Guardians) and plenty of Aspect Warriors with a few small squad of Harlequins.

Maybe I am answering my own questions, but I would like to have my perspective warped (hah) by the online community I have grown with.

Short version:

I like Saim-Hann for their color scheme and fluff, but I would feel that it is unfluffy to have such a heavy Aspect Warrior force. Especially since I have no Jetbikes, Grav-Tanks, and Vypers at the moment. So I am leaning towards Biel-Tan due to it being a fluffy choice and I enjoy the color scheme.

Cheers!

Spare Change
19-05-2013, 01:52
Why not create your own craftworld?

Make a slight tweak to Saim-Hann's scheme, and have them be a heavily warlike, aspect focused craftworld. :D

This allows you flexibility, and the best of both (craft)worlds.

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 02:00
I like to stick to the Craftworlds that are established already and pretend that I am some great Exarch/Autarch.

In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea but I really do like the two previously mentioned Craftworlds.

Bobthemime
19-05-2013, 02:30
Why not wait for the new book and see what "new" craftworld has been found..

Or go with Iyanden.. just coz

Ssilmath
19-05-2013, 02:31
Well, you have a couple of options. You could have the jet bikes, tanks and Craftworld units be from Saim-Hann, and the Aspects and their transports be from Biel-Tan. If you only want a single Craftworld represented, there is nothing that says that Saim-Hann cannot field Aspect Warriors. Throw them in some transports, paint it all red, and call it good. Every Craftworld uses the Aspects to some degree, even if they favor other units.

I'd say paint up the Aspects and wait a month before you paint the rest of the army.

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 02:36
Why not wait for the new book and see what "new" craftworld has been found..

Or go with Iyanden.. just coz

I did mention it haha and am starting to think I should. There's no telling how the 'Eavy Metal team might have tweaked or changed altogether. Not a big fan of Iyanden's colors (Even with how cool Prince Yriel looks).

I'd say paint up the Aspects and wait a month before you paint the rest of the army.

That's actually a good idea. I have my 10 Dire Avengers primed, Howling Banshees are now primed, Harlequins primed, and Fire Dragons are also primed. Decisions, decisions haha.

Shad Ambert
19-05-2013, 02:49
Biel-Han then, green with black and white stripes :3
red with black vines would look cool too, actually...

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 02:56
Sounds like a mixture between Jessica Biel and Han Solo. ;)

I like the idea of pushing the original Craftworld schemes further. Could definitely do that.

Spare Change
19-05-2013, 04:26
If you're opposed to making your own, then I would just wait for the new codex.

See who motivates you most, with the new fluff entries and the like.

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 04:43
Yeah that is looking like the best course of action. Aspect Warriors always have the same color scheme so I can at least paint up my Banshees or the Fire Dragons.

2 weeks isn't too bad.

Spell_of_Destruction
19-05-2013, 06:33
While we know little to nothing about the rules in this upcoming release, I have a suspicion that jetbikes are going to be a strong choice for us. It's almost guaranteed that the shuriken catapult is getting a range boost and I doubt that we will see their cost increased.

When the codex is released, investing in some shiny new jetbike models may seem like a good course of action. There's no reason you can't have a Saim Hann force with Aspect Warriors. A few jetbike squads with a squad of Shining Spears (hoping these guys get a boost or a sizeable cost reduction) would be enough to keep with the theme IMO.

DarkMark
19-05-2013, 07:56
Have you considered using the Dark Eldar codex for running a Saim-Hann force? I think it works.

I'm a Biel-Tan man so they get my vote. Regardless of what the new codex brings I wouldn't let it influence your decision to choose either craftworld. Who says you can't run a mobile 'bike heavy list with Biel-Tan, or an aspect based force for Saim-Hann? Your toys, your choice. :D

Its VERY rare for GW to replace plastic kits, and so I doubt we'll see new jet bikes for Eldar. The prototype seen looked a lot like what the DE Reavers ended up being. I'm sceptical till I see evidence otherwise.

Kalishnikov-47
19-05-2013, 08:36
While we know little to nothing about the rules in this upcoming release, I have a suspicion that jetbikes are going to be a strong choice for us. It's almost guaranteed that the shuriken catapult is getting a range boost and I doubt that we will see their cost increased.

When the codex is released, investing in some shiny new jetbike models may seem like a good course of action. There's no reason you can't have a Saim Hann force with Aspect Warriors. A few jetbike squads with a squad of Shining Spears (hoping these guys get a boost or a sizeable cost reduction) would be enough to keep with the theme IMO.

Yeah, I got to thinking that maybe my force could have elements from both Craftwolds working together to achieve the same goals. The Webway can make this possible!

Have you considered using the Dark Eldar codex for running a Saim-Hann force? I think it works.

I'm a Biel-Tan man so they get my vote. Regardless of what the new codex brings I wouldn't let it influence your decision to choose either craftworld. Who says you can't run a mobile 'bike heavy list with Biel-Tan, or an aspect based force for Saim-Hann? Your toys, your choice. :D

Its VERY rare for GW to replace plastic kits, and so I doubt we'll see new jet bikes for Eldar. The prototype seen looked a lot like what the DE Reavers ended up being. I'm sceptical till I see evidence otherwise.

Actually new Jetbikes are heavily hinted at, along with a Wraithguard kit, UberWraitlord, Flyer, and we saw the Farseer already! I am excited.

I do have Dark Eldar already and would use them as allies for certain games to test the waters.

Cheers. :)

Aryllon
19-05-2013, 10:08
Go Biel-Tan :)

They have so many citizens who have peeviously served as aspects, it's completely fluffy to have guardian units supporting the main thrust. Ex-shining spears would make up the guardian jetbike squads.

Plus the Biel-Tan scheme is one of the nicest and can be altered slightly to taste without losing it's identity. You could keep it bright, tone it down, invert the colours (white tanks with green decals for example), etc etc. Or see Hendarion's plog for inspiration :)

Doo eet...

Eldarin Hope
19-05-2013, 10:45
Saim hann still have aspect warriors, certainly enough for a 40k sized army.

If you like their colour scheme and aspects then do an aspect heavy Saim hann.

DarkMark
19-05-2013, 11:02
I do have Dark Eldar already and would use them as allies for certain games to test the waters.

The waters are well and truly muddied with 6th Ed. Allies. :shifty:

Another aspect, no pun intended :p, could be your acceptance of Finecast. You own some aspects already, but are you prepared to buy a load more in FC? I avoid the stuff like the plague, and that would influence my purchasing/ army choices.

silverstu
19-05-2013, 11:21
I run Saim Hann- you could do an aspect heavy force- I always look at it this way- all the big craft worlds can field the various formations [Biel-Tan could field a wind rider host, Saim Hann could field a wraith force], they are known for specific formations and unit choices but those aren't exclusive.
That said If you aren't really into bikes I'd go with Biel Tan- sounds like that is where your preferences lie. You just need to play around with the scheme to make it work for you. [and check out Haywiregrenade's log to change your opinion of Iyanden colours- it changed mine!].

Kamin_Majere
19-05-2013, 11:50
Play them all. Thats what i do.

We are eldar... we are the big scary rainbow. I have as many colors as i have units in my army. Aspects all have their own colors, Jet Bikes have their own colors, Seers have their own color, Vehicles have their own color, wraith units have their own color, guardians have their own color. Its loud and colorful, but with the eldar it works remarkably well.

If i want to play Iyanden then all my wraith units are already Yellow and Blue
If i want to play Biel Tan my aspects are already their own colors
If i want to play saim hann my bike units are all matched up
etc
etc

I pull the whole thing together with the generic units like vehicles and guardians. and with the accents i put on the aspects and stuff to tie them together

Spell_of_Destruction
19-05-2013, 12:05

The jetbikes are so old I don't think this principle applies. They don't even match the 3rd ed Eldar aesthetic which is now 13+ years old.

I see the late 5th ed WHFB Chaos Warrior boxed set as the release that kicked off multi part plastics as we know them and the jetbikes predate those by a fair bit.

DarkMark
19-05-2013, 20:51
The jetbikes are so old I don't think this principle applies.

We're talking GW here now. :o Personally I think we may see a new Shining Spears box that allows players to bling up the old 'bikes. Why would they change a kit unless there's new options available? Aesthetics, from a business point of view, is no sort of argument I'm afraid.

I do hope I'm wrong, but time will tell.

Shamana
19-05-2013, 22:28
I'm not too bothered by some units not being iconic for a craftworld. The major craftworlds are, well, pretty big. Just because, for example, Ulthwe doesn't have a lot of aspects doesn't mean it doesn't have enough for you to form an apocalypse battleforce :) .

BTW, I was under the impression that different aspect shrines have somewhat different symbols and armor decoration. It should be ok to have the aspect painted in a way similar or at least influenced by the craftworld theme, if you wish to do so.

djhowitzer
19-05-2013, 22:37
I like to stick to the Craftworlds that are established already and pretend that I am some great Exarch/Autarch.

In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea but I really do like the two previously mentioned Craftworlds.

i so do that! white dwarf 172 has the master eldar fluff. so my army is a bieltan expeditionary force or some such, with jetbikes and a bunch of tanks, but a core of aspect warriors.

dont forget, if you go aspect heavy you dont have to commit to a craftworld, as aspects all have their own colour schemes

Aryllon
19-05-2013, 22:46
dont forget, if you go aspect heavy you dont have to commit to a craftworld, as aspects all have their own colour schemes

Neither would the Warlord if you go Avatar, Phoenix Lord or autarch (depends what paths they took, an Alaitoc Autarch in Path of the Seer wears red).

All three of those options would be pretty Biel-Tan anyway though :)