PDA

View Full Version : 2400pt WoC: A blend of Nurgle and Khorne with a dash of Tzeentch

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-05-2013, 16:59
I've played a few games recently with the new WoC, trying out a few different things, and this is my latest idea:

Daemon Prince
Flaming Breath
Chaos Familiar
Scaled Skin
Soul Feeder
Sword of Striking
Charmed Shield
Dragonbane Gem
Chaos Armour
Daemonic Flight
Daemon of Nurgle
Lvl 4 Wizard (Nurgle)
555pts

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard Bearer
Enchanted Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Third Eye of Tzeentch
Mark of Tzeentch
Great Weapon
Disc of Tzeentch
241pts

18 Chaos Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Gleaming Pennant
Mark of Khorne
Halberds
Shields
381pts

18 Chaos Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Swiftness
Mark of Khorne
Great Weapons
373pts

5 Chaos Warhounds
Vanguard
40pts

5 Chaos Warhounds
Vanguard
40pts

7 Chaos Knights
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer
Mark of Nurgle
Ensorcelled Weapons
Standard of Discipline
360pts

4 Chaos Trolls
140pts

3 Skullcrushers of Khorne
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame
Lances
261pts

Total
2381pts

The only real tactic is to hide the prince behind the trolls if there are cannons on the other side of the board (cannons being quite prevalent in this area) otherwise it's just rush forward and get chopping.

Critique very much appreciated, cheers :)

kalleha
20-05-2013, 17:29
My only question is why shields on the halberd warriors, but not the gw warriors? Both take two hands, so shields only afford a better save at range; why not give the gw ones a 3+ as well? Or is it just a matter of modeling?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
20-05-2013, 23:21
My only question is why shields on the halberd warriors, but not the gw warriors? Both take two hands, so shields only afford a better save at range; why not give the gw ones a 3+ as well? Or is it just a matter of modeling?

It's just a matter of modelling :) Assuming that wasn't a problem though, would you opt for with or without shields?

10_minute_pie
20-05-2013, 23:29
-The Daemon Prince NEEDS the Dragon Bane Gem. Protects him from most of his natural predators, including a few Cannons (Dwarfs with Flaming Rune, Daemon Skull Cannon), Searing Doom, and Shem's burning Gaze.

-Don't know if you've tried putting the BSB on a daemonic mount, instead of a disk, but it's pretty fantastic. Slightly less mobility, since he can't jump over units, but way more survivable (extra wound and toughness). I don't bother with Barding, since his Ward is so good anyways, and I rarely lose him due to wounds.

-I second the call for Shields on the GW warriors. If you can find the points, they go a long way to improving their survivability. Since neither unit has a magic banner, I'd give one the Gleaming Pennant. Gives you a bit more flexibility in terms of where you put your BSB, and it's dirt cheap. Synergizes well with Frenzied troops too, since the first leadership test you fail will almost invariably be a Break or Frenzy Check.

-I think the Nurgle Knights would benefit from the Razor Standard. Nothing in your army has more than -2 armor penetration, aside from your Characters, and they can't be everywhere at once.

-Personal preference thing, but I absolutely hate dogs. Even with vanguard, they can't match the flexible movement of Marauder Cav, or Hell Striders, since they can't reform. I'd really encourage you to try a couple of games using 5 man units of marauder cav with mark of slannesh. They move better and faster than dogs, and won't panic if they take a few wounds. Also lets you say your army is "themed" around all 4 gods. Each one just sent their best units to the fight :p

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-05-2013, 15:27
-The Daemon Prince NEEDS the Dragon Bane Gem. Protects him from most of his natural predators, including a few Cannons (Dwarfs with Flaming Rune, Daemon Skull Cannon), Searing Doom, and Shem's burning Gaze.

Good call, I've chucked that on him, I was paying 20pts instead of 15 for the Sword anyway, so he isn't any more expensive.

-Don't know if you've tried putting the BSB on a daemonic mount, instead of a disk, but it's pretty fantastic. Slightly less mobility, since he can't jump over units, but way more survivable (extra wound and toughness). I don't bother with Barding, since his Ward is so good anyways, and I rarely lose him due to wounds.

It is quite tempting, though the disc does let him claim a 4+ LO,S! when near the knights which could come in handy. I'll have to try it out at some point though.

-I second the call for Shields on the GW warriors. If you can find the points, they go a long way to improving their survivability. Since neither unit has a magic banner, I'd give one the Gleaming Pennant. Gives you a bit more flexibility in terms of where you put your BSB, and it's dirt cheap. Synergizes well with Frenzied troops too, since the first leadership test you fail will almost invariably be a Break or Frenzy Check.

Fair enough, I'll have to scrounge a few shields and chuck them on the other unit then. I've stuck some banners on the Warriors as well, Pennant on the Halberds and Swiftstride banner on the GWs.

-I think the Nurgle Knights would benefit from the Razor Standard. Nothing in your army has more than -2 armor penetration, aside from your Characters, and they can't be everywhere at once.

Well, aside from the GW Warriors and the Skullcrushers on the charge ;) I'm quite happy with the Standard of Discipline on them, makes them more of an Anvil.

-Personal preference thing, but I absolutely hate dogs. Even with vanguard, they can't match the flexible movement of Marauder Cav, or Hell Striders, since they can't reform. I'd really encourage you to try a couple of games using 5 man units of marauder cav with mark of slannesh. They move better and faster than dogs, and won't panic if they take a few wounds. Also lets you say your army is "themed" around all 4 gods. Each one just sent their best units to the fight :p

Hmm I know what you mean, it's just that they're still so squishy, and in the games I've played they've always been targeted by shooting and magic missiles. That will change to an extent if I use them more carefully of course. I haven't been getting great use out of the dogs, as there's not much I want to redirect, so they tend to just get in the way. They have helped by by being a missile screen though.

I'll have to get hold of some Hellstriders and try them out at some point though, cheers for the advice :)

Bigman
22-05-2013, 16:43
Not sure you can claim that DP build as your idea lol. He should be trademarked or copyrighted by now.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-05-2013, 18:22
Not sure you can claim that DP build as your idea lol. He should be trademarked or copyrighted by now.

It was my idea sans the Dragonbane gem, I had no prior knowledge of this build when I thought of it :D Just because everyone else had already posted it makes it no less original ;)

Fighting Newfoundlander
22-05-2013, 20:18
I'd also note on the dogs v. fast cav debate that dogs fill another role in part because they're so cheap, and that is to block your own frenzy units from charges you don't want them making (in front of another important unit for example). Might be worth keeping a couple, even w/o vangaurd, for that role.

Also, if there is a manglar squigg or two on the table you'll be happy to be throughing away 30/40 points rather than 100/105 to kill one off. Dogs are the perfect answer to that unit.