PDA

View Full Version : Building your Dark Angels army, what to buy?

storivar09
19-05-2013, 19:38
Hi! i've bought the Dark Vengence limited box when it was released, and thought it was time to take up the Dark Angels now.
So what DA boxes should you buy too get the most out of each box, when it comes too converting and making each guy unique, and hopefully get some bits over for later :)

vinush
19-05-2013, 21:03
You'll probably want some more tactical marines, so a box of those and the upgrade frame.

THE \/ince

Bobthemime
19-05-2013, 21:10
DA box set has the ravenwing squads you want..

dooms33ker
19-05-2013, 21:29
Buy a second set of the DAs from the Dark Vengeance box set, a pair of rhinos, a devastator squad, and you have yourself an army.

Grand Master Raziel
19-05-2013, 22:18
The Company Veterans box gives you oodles of tasty DA bitz you can add to various models. Use it to make a Command Squad, or sergeants for your other squads. There are some DW bitz in there too, if I remember rightly.

You may want to snag the SM Command Squad to make yourself a foot command squad - for the standard bearer, apothecary, and company champion.

You'll want a Ravenwing Squadron to flesh out the 3 bikes come with DV. Oh, meltagun > plasma gun. Just saying. Plus, Attack Bikes - one per squadron. MMs, not heavy bolters.

Land Speeders. Oh yes, you'll want Land Speeders. Strategically placed magnets will let you change the configuration of a Speeder as you see fit.

Belial and Sammael. For that matter, Azrael and Ezekial too. But particularly Belial and Sammael, because fielding the Bike+Termie combo is a signature DA style of play, so getting one or both of the combo as Troops is worthwhile. For my money, Ravenwing make better Troops, because they can reach objectives fast. You don't want to waste Deathwing sitting on an objective. Pick up some cheap Scouts for that.

Speaking of which, a small Scout Squad or two wouldn't be bad. Camo cloaks+sniper rifles, maybe a ML as well. Good objective minders, freeing up your Tacs/RW/DW to do the heavy lifting.

A couple of Preds and/or Dreads to round things out.

Basically, you could go on eBay and see what SM stuff people are letting go for cheap. I've had decent luck buying other people's SMs and repurposing and repainting them. You can use practically anything, so you're in a good position to get yourself some bargains.

TheDarkDuke
20-05-2013, 00:52
Belial and Sammael. For that matter, Azrael and Ezekial too. But particularly Belial and Sammael, because fielding the Bike+Termie combo is a signature DA style of play, so getting one or both of the combo as Troops is worthwhile. For my money, Ravenwing make better Troops, because they can reach objectives fast. You don't want to waste Deathwing sitting on an objective. Pick up some cheap Scouts for that.

I agree with most of what you said if you arnt planning a pure deathwing or ravenwing army, but honestly if you plan on using both deathwing and ravenwing id say azrael is better then paying for both sammael and belial as he allows both as core. and will save you a decent chunk of points.

dooms33ker
20-05-2013, 01:30
I agree with most of what you said if you arnt planning a pure deathwing or ravenwing army, but honestly if you plan on using both deathwing and ravenwing id say azrael is better then paying for both sammael and belial as he allows both as core. and will save you a decent chunk of points.

The problem is that though Azrael makes both scoring he has synergy with neither. Do you really need for all to be troops? In games of 2k points you just might be able to get away with both Belial and Sammael, though I would just choose one unless playing large games of 2.5k+.

Grand Master Raziel
20-05-2013, 02:37
What dooms33ker said. It's been my experience that Ravenwing Attack Squads are good at nabbing objectives late-game, so you can keep using them to stick it to your opponent until it becomes critical to grab objectives. Deathwing are too valuable to have them sitting passively on an objective - you need them sticking it to your opponent for as long as possible. Plus, not very fast, so they're not making it across the table to nab an neglected objective. I will agree if you want BOTH RW and DW to be scoring, Azrael is the way to go. However, then you need some Greenwing for Azrael to hang with, because he's not DWAing in with a Termie squad the way Belial would, or turbo-scouting across the table they way Sammael would.

Bobthemime
20-05-2013, 02:51
What dooms33ker said. It's been my experience that Ravenwing Attack Squads are good at nabbing objectives late-game, so you can keep using them to stick it to your opponent until it becomes critical to grab objectives. Deathwing are too valuable to have them sitting passively on an objective - you need them sticking it to your opponent for as long as possible. Plus, not very fast, so they're not making it across the table to nab an neglected objective. I will agree if you want BOTH RW and DW to be scoring, Azrael is the way to go. However, then you need some Greenwing for Azrael to hang with, because he's not DWAing in with a Termie squad the way Belial would, or turbo-scouting across the table they way Sammael would.

though you could just stick in in the command squad he can take

or my personal fave is 10 scouts.. XD

dooms33ker
20-05-2013, 06:18
though you could just stick in in the command squad he can take

or my personal fave is 10 scouts.. XD

I've been toying with the notion of taking him along with a squad of 7 terminators inside a Land Raider Crusader. Take the Warlord trait that gives his unit FNP when near an objective, point the raider at the juiciest objective across the board, and let her rip. Not the most efficient use of 788 points, but it's a hell of a death-star unit.

Now the problem with putting him in a unit of 10 scouts is that the 4+ invul save for the whole squad is a waste since they will usually have a 4+ or even 3+ cover save. Besides, Azrael is in essence a close combat character, so it's probably best to stick him in the thick of things rather than have him in the back-field holding your objective.

FredrikR
20-05-2013, 10:13
I'm with dooms33ker on this one - grab a second set of Dark Vengeance marines as basic troops, and a Rhino/Razorback as core troops. You already have some mobile support from the bikes, and some heavy troops in the Terminators.

Some additional support from the heavy slot would be useful, Devastators and perhaps a Predator...

Bobthemime
20-05-2013, 12:32
Now the problem with putting him in a unit of 10 scouts is that the 4+ invul save for the whole squad is a waste since they will usually have a 4+ or even 3+ cover save. Besides, Azrael is in essence a close combat character, so it's probably best to stick him in the thick of things rather than have him in the back-field holding your objective.

1 word.

BaleDrake.

I have plinked that ********** to death with snipers and he couldnt contend with the 4++, i lost maybe 3 snipers.

storivar09
20-05-2013, 22:39
Thx alot for the input guys! i think i'll be getting each of every DA comand set, to buff up the number of bits. and maybe get myself a Predator while im at it. got another group of tacs and terminators from my lokal shop, since the owner "by mistake" had opened another Dark Vengence box ^^ i do like the idea of a squad with 10 scouts with snipers (y) later on when i've used proxys and tried the different types of lists that we can playmake with our beloved Dark Angels, i'll make another trip to the store, and get me some more stuff. probably a razorback or two, and something more. if i should choose either Ravenwing or Deathwing, im leaning towards Deathwing. I do like the strong impression which the terminator give to the battlefield :D
Thanks again for the input! means alot (y)

Bobthemime
20-05-2013, 22:49
I only stick Azrael in Scouts when i cant afford Belial and Sammael in the same list.

anyone else had success with his Land Speeder?

200pts is a big waste.. but him DS right behind a tank with the Rear facing board edge.. i have had him survive 3-4 turns..

raygunsand rocketeers
20-05-2013, 23:14
and remember.......
real dark angles have Black armor.....
not green.....
thats new school tom foolry lol

Bobthemime
20-05-2013, 23:28
and remember.......
not green.....

Real DA dont have bikes, they have a Plasma Pistol and Bolt Pistol and a Sword that is never used ;)

khyron
21-05-2013, 00:15
It's a shame the DV Ravenwing bikers have different front wing ornament than the standard plastic box. Sure to anger OCD gamers.

storivar09
21-05-2013, 08:46
and remember.......
not green.....
Well thats pre heresy right? shouldn't you be painting all your Deathwings black aswell, since the bone color is a remembrence that they are a member of the inner circle and hunters of the Fallen?

Bobthemime
21-05-2013, 15:25
Well thats pre heresy right? shouldn't you be painting all your Deathwings black aswell, since the bone color is a remembrence that they are a member of the inner circle and hunters of the Fallen?

tbh considering the change of fluff.. them having Bone Armour is from a version of the fluff that has been retconned, but they cant get rid of the colour now can they?