PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into wh40k

Raven1
19-05-2013, 19:06
I am getting back into wh40k and would like some help selecting a new army. I have read over the rules changes, which for me are drastic (haven't played since 3rd). I understand I will never get my cheesy Iron Warriors army back from the 3.5 codex. I am thinking about getting back into Chaos Space Marines MSU Slaanesh list or Necrons are my two top contenders. I am leaning to CSM Slaanesh army and converting the DA Dark Vengeance bits.

I would like the communities thoughts on a good starter army and an army easy to start on a budget.

vinush
19-05-2013, 20:04
You could do a semi-decent Chaos Space Marine force if you buy the Dark Vengeance box and convert the DA stuff into CSM...

THE \/ince

druchii
19-05-2013, 21:28
Just be careful of using MSU armies, because they give away first blood very easily (another reason to avoid things like rhinos) and I've seen a lot of games come down to that single VP.

Also noise marines get a great deal on blastmasters (getting two in a squad of 10, as per the FAQ) so having slightly large units is a good idea. It also makes the prospect of buying an icon of feel no pain more economical (because you're paying for it spread over 10 models as opposed to five or six).

They're not necessarily marked slaanesh, but helldrakes are pretty much mandatory if you're looking to make a CSM army that isn't C level competitive.

Don't forget the glory of allies, either, shoving in some slaaneshi demons might make your day too!

d

GlenMorray
19-05-2013, 22:42
Don't listen to the first blood argument,

Plenty of successful armies are based of MSU and they work just fine, you also have equal chance of getting first blood if you go first, it's a silly argument, don't take Rhinos because you may lose the first VP.

Chaos are good, and I like them because they're really cheap. The Termie options available are cool as they cost so little.

Raven1
20-05-2013, 01:26
Well i suppose Ill just have to get into the game and get a few practice games to see if i like MSU or full squad noise marines. Im leaning towards them because they are in Dark Vengeance. I really want a good shooty army. Thanks for the responses.

Aluinn
20-05-2013, 01:30
I'd also dispute the "use Helldrakes or you won't be able to have a competitive army" assertion.

You have to get a bit creative, but there are a lot of things that are good enough in Codex: CSM, in the right combination, that I think you can make a perfectly fine army with no Drakes. Well, I've had success with it, anyway, and being focused on close combat no less.

Some of the characters (Nurgle Lord, Juggerlord, some Sorcerer builds) can be absurdly good for their cost; you just have to tool them right. Spawn (especially Nurgle) are probably as ridiculous as Helldrakes in all honesty, albeit very different. There may be no unit aside from Helldrakes that you can simply point to and say: "Spam this and you'll win games by virtue of that alone", but at the same time, Helldrakes are only going to be a straight "I-win" button against players and armies that you could have probably beaten without Helldrakes. As you ramp up the level of competitiveness, the chance that your opponents will be able to handle Helldrakes by whatever means increases proportionally. In other words, they'll win games by their lonesome (or twosome or threesome) against inexperienced players of quite a few types of armies, sure, but do you need them for that? Against hardcore competitive players, will they do the same? It also comes with the drawback of rather cruelly stomping new players by exploiting an admittedly overpowered option, in a way where they'll feel they're not really "in the game" at any point--it's just watching Helldrakes fly around and fry all their Marines or whatever.

As for MSU, it certainly works with Plague Marines min-maxing plasma guns, but those are small units in number only, being near as tough as your average vanilla Terminator and not vastly less expensive per model either. I can't speak to Slaanesh but the point about taking units of 10 in that case is a good one--the standard is expensive, important, and has a flat cost per unit, and there's no loss of blastmasters.

JWhex
20-05-2013, 02:07
Helldrakes are too good not to take at least one.

Raven1
20-05-2013, 02:36
The issue I find is that a fully equipped noise marine ten marines, 2 blastmasters, doom siren, and icon of excess is 285 points. I feel like that is a lot of points for one unit however when it has two of probably the best heavy weapon in the game, an ap3 flamer for overwatch and FNP I shouldn't complain. Too save points the easiest thing to lose would be the doomsiren since the goal is too avoid close combat.

gwarsh41
20-05-2013, 13:56
I want to re-enforce druchii with the potential to ally daemons. Slaanesh Daemons are downright nasty in CC. Check out Seekers, or even a flying Slaanesh DP!

Raven1
20-05-2013, 14:54
A demon prince from Codex: Deamons, or Codex: CSM because the one in the marine 'dex is super expensive and I'm not convinced of the point cost.

duffybear1988
20-05-2013, 15:24
I am getting back into wh40k and would like some help selecting a new army. I have read over the rules changes, which for me are drastic (haven't played since 3rd). I understand I will never get my cheesy Iron Warriors army back from the 3.5 codex. I am thinking about getting back into Chaos Space Marines MSU Slaanesh list or Necrons are my two top contenders. I am leaning to CSM Slaanesh army and converting the DA Dark Vengeance bits.

I would like the communities thoughts on a good starter army and an army easy to start on a budget.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. The main problem being you mentioned starting on a budget - GW don't understand that word!

My advice would be to play something else until 7th edition comes out and pray that it's better than 6th.

If you really want to play and 'have fun' then take what you like. If you want to win then spam Necron flyers, Chaos Marine helldrakes, or Tau riptides.

Konovalev
20-05-2013, 16:14
Plug for some specific other gaming system incoming...

Brother Jones
20-05-2013, 16:19
If you wanna go cheap I recommend just doing a expensive point army, Grey Knights or Necrons for example.

Raven1
20-05-2013, 17:36
Necrons would be cheap as well, but I wouldnt get the great bits from Dark Vengeance...so many decisions.