PDA

View Full Version : Dark Future

Tiberius Frost
29-05-2006, 03:12
A friend of mine's been hoarding a copy of this game for years, and recently we've started playing it.
While so far we've just converted most of the pieces from matchbox cars, and so forth, we're trying to get hold of some of the actual figures. We've trawled Ebay and managed to win a few auctions but we're still keen for more stuff. Does anybody know where I might be able to get hold of some Dark Future models?

sigur
29-05-2006, 13:01
Now that's a very tricky one. I don't remember seeing any DF miniatures on ebay ever, just the rulebook once or twice. Good luck on your search anyway.;)

How does Dark Future play? Like GorkaMorka without the foot soldiers? Are people playing races or more or less "kill the other guy"? Is is very much like a RPG or more like just a tabletop racing/shooting game?

Keravin
29-05-2006, 13:33
What sort of stuff are you after? I have a stack of Dark Future - foot figures included.

Festus
30-05-2006, 10:43
Hi

How does Dark Future play? Like GorkaMorka without the foot soldiers? Are people playing races or more or less "kill the other guy"? Is is very much like a RPG or more like just a tabletop racing/shooting game?
It is a racing game, where you can blow your oponent to smithereens as well.

Nice to play at cons for a few rounds, rather bothersome and tedious in the long run.

But always worth a few hours of entertainment...

Greetings
Festus

Christine
30-05-2006, 17:38
It's not really a racing game...

Keravin
30-05-2006, 18:22
It can be a racing game in one form. It can be a pitched battle as well or all sorts of things that you might do with cars and gangs etc.

Christine
30-05-2006, 22:25
Sorry I meant that it isn't intended to be played as a racing game straight out of the box. I own a copy of the game myself and also own a copy of the rules from wd whatever the heck it was to allow you to do all sorts of races.

BTW dark future models do come up on e-bay but tend to sell for a lot of money.

devolutionary
30-05-2006, 22:30
There was a crap load of DF stuff on TradeMe recently, Tib. Dunno if it's still around though, haven't really been looking.

Chem-Dog
31-05-2006, 05:37
Anyone remember the Dark Future novels? Including the classic "Comeback Tour" featuring none other than Col Elvis Aaron Presley.

Keravin
31-05-2006, 08:44
I'm actually interviewing the author of those novels now. They just rereleased some with some new ones as well.

Ardathair
02-06-2006, 02:40
I'm actually interviewing the author of those novels now. They just rereleased some with some new ones as well.

Do you know if GW has any plans to redo/rerelease the game, or are they just doing the novels? The novels should create interest in the game they were based upon. Hopefully we'll see dark future in the near future.

Tiberius Frost
02-06-2006, 11:36
I can see I'm going to need to check this more often.

Dev: I haven't seen anything on trademe. I've had a look once or twice, but never saw anything.

Recently there was a whole bunch of stuff on ebay, and I bought some of it. I'll see what it's like in a few days. Dark Future was interesting in that they sold blister packs of foot troops where you got a random mix of guys.

The game is interesting in that:

-The figures are 20mm, not 28mm.

-The rulebook features plenty of pictures of non-GW pieces (eg, matchbox cars, etc) converted for use with the game.

-They produced alot of pedestrian models, even though there were no rules for pedestrians. I think those rules came out later, in the expansion, even though the game rulebook has pics of the pedestrian models.

The backstory for the game is quite odd. Basically, it's set in the USA in the nineties. They've imagined that after WWII global warming has started to spiral out of control, the coporations have basically taken over and the government is ridiculously corrupt. The main premise for the game is that, in 1994, the United States privatised Law Enforcement, so a range of companies have sprung up to make money out of hunting down criminals.

They've also thrown in bizarre rumours that the laws of physics are beginning to change for no apparent reason, and Chaos (yes, Chaos) cults are starting to appear. There aren't any daemons as such, but there are guys in black robes with eight-pointed stars tatooed on their foreheads.

The actual gameplay isn't bad, although it has truck loads of carboard counters and lookup tables, much like other GW games of the era.

As far as models are concerned, I'm interested in pretty much anything, especially the infantry and bike models. Alot of the stuff that appears on ebay goes for crazy prices (although not as crazy as Man o War stuff, which I also want, but can't afford).

Do you know if GW has any plans to redo/rerelease the game, or are they just doing the novels? The novels should create interest in the game they were based upon. Hopefully we'll see dark future in the near future.

I sincerely doubt it. Dark Future was set in the nineties, which is now the Dark Past. If GW decide to redo one of their older games, there are far better choices than Dark Future.