PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts High Elves Casual Tournament Army: Feedback appreciated

Asuryan's Spear
20-05-2013, 18:19
Alright i got a request for an army list a while back so here you go good people of Warseer... any feedback or preferred tactics are appreciated

Lords
Archmage w/BoH, lvl 4, 5++, elven steed (goes on the outside of DPs)

Heroes
Sea Helm w/ BSB, shield of the merwyrm

Core
Lothern Sea Guard (30) w/banner and musician

Special
Dragon Princes (7) w/ full command and star lance
Swordsmasters(10)
Shadow warriors(5)

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt thrower
Eagle claw Bolt thrower
Eagle

general strategy is to deploy the princes wide and use them to sweep through the mage will 1 dice spells to improve their 6++. my centre is held by the Sea helm in the Sea Guard who deploy 10x3 and reform when charged to 5x6 . Eagle Claws are there to deal with any monsters/ heavy cav. swordsmasters are very much there for flank charges and generally buying me a round of combat while waiting for the princes to arrive. the shadow warriors and eagle are there for distraction, war machine hunting and setting up favourable charges

Any feedback appreciated

KingFerret
20-05-2013, 19:28
Like the list, personally I never play at any less than double this points level, but if I were to play at 1500, this is pretty similar to what I would run, save for perhaps the shadow warriors, who I'm not sure on personally. The sea helm I don't think is a no-brainer choice either, and it will require some serious playtesting before I decide if he is worth his points or not...

But generally I like!

10_minute_pie
20-05-2013, 23:03
I think that the lack of consistent, survivable, high strength combat attacks will be a problem. If a 1+ Armour unit that gets into combat with just about any of your combat units, it will grind it out in a couple rounds, without really taking any wounds back (3 Skull Crushers, Chaos/Empire knights). I thing that the Dragon Princes would really benefit from having something like a combat Noble (or in a pinch the Ogre Blade on the Unit Champion), who can kick out Strength 6+ attacks after the unit has charged.

I like the Shield of the Merwyrm on the Sea Helm, but he cant actually use it, since he comes with a spear. Add on a 5 point Magic Sword from the Main Rule Book to enable him to parry.

Finally, the Ring of Fury would be really useful. If you're 1 dicing spells, even with the Book, there is a decent chance you'll roll a 2, followed by another 2, and break concentration early, shutting down your magic phase. Adding the ring gives you something to throw your remaining dice at, with basically no risk if this happens. And if in the DP unit, it will still buff their ward save.

I'd try to find points for all this by dropping the DP unit Champion, Star lance, and maybe 5 swordmasters. Good luck!

KingFerret
20-05-2013, 23:52
Pretty sure you can't parry with a magic weapon, might be wrong though.

Moss
21-05-2013, 00:43
Pretty sure you can't parry with a magic weapon, might be wrong though.

Right you are.

SteveW
21-05-2013, 05:10
Right you are.

Not in the case of that shield though

Elyeva
21-05-2013, 07:22
I like the Shield of the Merwyrm on the Sea Helm, but he cant actually use it, since he comes with a spear.
He can use his shield while holding his spear for it is not a 2-handed weapon in the 8th edition. So parry is allowed with a spear.

Asuryan's Spear
21-05-2013, 21:11
Alright so managed to play my first game and scored a win against empire and the 1+ cav saves were generally dealt with by the ECBTs. the star lance actually payed dividends by easily netting my opponents BSB on the charge. shadow warrior were largely redundant tho so i'm thinking of dropping them to get 70pts back moreover I'm thinking of taking the risk of dropping the ward save to a 6++ on the Mage as he was never in contact with an enemy unit and managed a 5++ every turn. if i drop 2 swordsmasters then that gives me the points for a cheap combat noble with GW.

will run these next game and see how it goes...as always feedback is appreciated

Asuryan's Spear
21-05-2013, 21:15
Alright so managed to play my first game and scored a win against empire and the 1+ cav saves were generally dealt with by the ECBTs. the star lance actually payed dividends by easily netting my opponents BSB on the charge. shadow warrior were largely redundant tho so i'm thinking of dropping them to get 70pts back moreover I'm thinking of taking the risk of dropping the ward save to a 6++ on the Mage as he was never in contact with an enemy unit and managed a 5++ every turn. if i drop 2 swordsmasters then that gives me the points for a cheap combat noble with GW.

will run these next game and see how it goes...as always feedback is appreciated

madival
22-05-2013, 02:24
I think parry is specific to hand weapons and shield. also with this list, anything that can kill those cav will beat your army. I run a list with 6 bolt throwers,2 doom divers, and a stone thrower and this army doesn't seem all that scary. You need more meat for the army. Even with an elite army like high elves, you don't have any substance.