PDA

View Full Version : IG vehicle question.....

raygunsand rocketeers
20-05-2013, 22:17
We have a friend that wants to mount a thudgun on his griffin rather than the regular mortar.....

we are allowing it under house rules....
we couldnt find anything disallowing it per se....

1. Is it legal in regular 40k?
2 Would you allow it in your (or your opponets) army?

like I said, our group is allowing this conversion,
but its got me curious....
as Ive not been able to find an answer in the faqs / rulebooks....

thanx

Iron_Lord
20-05-2013, 22:28
If you homebrew something up, then it's entirely up to your opponent as to whether he wants to play against it or not.

JWhex
20-05-2013, 23:02
Its your gaming group, feel free to do it without endorsement.

Does anyone else remember that crazy multipart thud gun template from 2nd edition?

Vaktathi
20-05-2013, 23:04
Most people wouldn't have too much of an issue with it I imagine, 4 S5 AP5 small blasts vs 1 rerollable S6 Ap4 large blast probably won't mess with too many people, but it'd be a house rule that indiviual opponents agree to, not something you could just take anywhere and expect to be allowed.

DaHedd
21-05-2013, 06:47
Its your gaming group, feel free to do it without endorsement.

Does anyone else remember that crazy multipart thud gun template from 2nd edition?

I remember that. Was an excellent lil thing. Held together with tacks. It could either by devastating or totally useless depending on your first 2 dice rolls because they set your general direction.

I still have 2 of the models plus squat crew in a box awaiting a repaint for my Guard.

tu33y
21-05-2013, 11:46
i have a strong feeling the heavy mortar and the quad launcher are the same mounting system as each other, as their limbers are the same. I also think the griffon mortar is the same as the Heavy mortar, so the conversion should be easy von peasy. it should just slot in... it might not fir the protective cowling however.

as for the rules... you could but you would be mad. I think the quad launcher is miles less effective than the griffon mortar- you would lose the "accurate bombardment" rule i (would suggest) and would keep the "fire two miss one" reloading system (to be fair- but you could maybe let it reload on the move so it would be a very fluffy Shoot and Scoot infantry support vehicle)

playtest it a bit, and see if it works. but it will hardly be the most OP thing on the table....

as for me, Im going to steal this idea and make myself one!

Blinder
21-05-2013, 15:01
If worst comes to worst (he runs up against people who don't like letting one unit from one list get mixed in with standard IG and/or don't do FW for various reasons) he can always just play it as a griffon so it isn't like there's much real risk to investing in a potentially cool model.

I'd enjoy letting someone give that a go, if it were in an "open play" setting, not so much if it were "organized" (league/tourney) unless it had already become a well-known adjustment, simply because there's enough "official" craziness to worry about running into when I don't know who I'm playing beforehand (especially with the current book rate) that I don't know that I'd really want to mix personal experiments in to boot.

So, 1- it's as "legal" as anything is in a system that's meant to be amenable to people coming up with stuff, so it really depends on extra expectations added by the players involved.
2- sure, but I'd want to know it's coming while working out the kinks in terms of making it fit in the list comfortably rather than as a super-weapon (or, indeed, as a liability), not only for my comfort ("I'd have had a chance at a prize if it weren't for that stupid [whatever]!") but also so I didn't have to worry about my own misguided mindset de-railing an idea that could ultimately be fun to have in the group (by making statements such as the above, or simply "geeze that's about as busted as vendettas" or some other childishness, which I try to avoid but not always successfully) and ruining *his* fun.

Chem-Dog
21-05-2013, 17:20
We have a friend that wants to mount a thudgun on his griffin rather than the regular mortar.....

we are allowing it under house rules....
we couldnt find anything disallowing it per se....

1. Is it legal in regular 40k?
2 Would you allow it in your (or your opponets) army?

like I said, our group is allowing this conversion,
but its got me curious....
as Ive not been able to find an answer in the faqs / rulebooks....

thanx

In the strictest interpretation of the rules, no it's not allowed. Does that matter? No, because you've house ruled it in.

You might find the old Vehicle Design Rules useful. They are several editions out of date and the points values are probably quite skewed now but if you retro-build a couple of existing vehicles with it and compare the pricing you might be able to come up with a halfway decent estimate of the drift and correct it accordingly.