PDA

View Full Version : High Elf army 2500 pts

Colonel Mayhem
21-05-2013, 09:40
Hi all. Since I have been commenting a bit on the new High elves I think it's about time I put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, and post my armylist. I have only played one game with the new Army Book and are sill struggling getting out of last editions' mindset, since I have only recently gotten back to the game(the charge rules, and altered magic phase are so far the biggest hurdles) It could use some tweaks here an there and it is a list with a fair amount of new units that I had gotten and wanted to try out as well as with a focus on trying out the new High Magic lore.

The army:

Lords

Prince: Armour of Destiny, Barded steed, Shield, Ogre Blade

Archmage: lvl 4, High Magic, Book of Hoeth, ring of fury, talisman of protection

Heroes

Mage: lvl 2, life magic, dispell scroll

Noble: BsB, Barded steed, Star Lance, Potion of Strength, Dragon armour, shield

Core

33 Spearmen: Full Command, std of dicipline

15 Archers: Mus.

8 Silver Helms: Full command, Shield

5 Reaver Knights: mus

Special

5 Shadow Warriors: cha, Reaver Bow

14 Swordmaster: Full Command, Banner of world dragon

1 Chariot

5 dragon Princes: full command

Rare

Great Eagle

Boltthrower

Boltthrower

the Prince and BsB goes with the Silver Helms, and both pack some serious damage on the charge and the Prince as well in subsequent phases, I love this unit and I feel a Prince leading a cavalry charge into masses of enemies is such an awesome sight. The BsB has been put there since in earlier games(before the new Army Book was released) the unit had a tendency to run away if the dice were against me, he adds some more staying power in a unit that can't afford to be running the wrong way.
Giving the BSB Potion of Strength is purely a redundancy plan, he could potentially bring 3 strength 10 attacks on the charge, but it is mostly to make sure he can do something nasty the following combat if I dont break what I charge on the first turn. He is a bit vulnerable though but hopefully most things die before he takes too many swords to the face.

I was extremely torn between the Archmage and the new Loremaster, but the Archmage won out due to me wanting to try the new spells, and with many other new units in the army I thought he would be easier to manage. the Ring of Fury is there because I thought bound items didn't need power dice, so I thought he would get an easy High Magic spell of for the Shield of Saphery attribute. I was wrong:cries: The lvl 2 mage is there for dispell Scroll duty and life magic is always a nice all around lore, he did get to save my Prince from dying with the lore attribute.

My Spearmen are there for getting bodies on the table, and with the shield of Saphery they should be able to withstand some punishment(this unit does suffer from me creating it with the Loremaster in mind at first, and only a last minute change of heart made me end up with the Archmage) So it is intended for both mages. the Std of Dicipline coupled with a Ld 9 Hero should see to this unit not running away too easily.

15 Archers are there because I like them and they do add some more shooting without going overboard on Boltthrowers, I like their diversity on the battlefield and 5*3 makes them more maneuverable and makes them a bit better for support charging(I'm contemplating adding light armour to this unit, which is cheap and could add in a battle where they get stuck in)

Silver Helms, well they are there to protect my Prince and BSB, they are cheap(relatively) and perform exactly what they are supposed to I.e dying to shooting and taking the odd challenge my characters won't be bothered with.

Reaver Knight are one of my new units, I haven't used them before but I'm very impressed by them. They are cheap, annoying and fast. I could see myself including them as stable of my armies. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of bows on them. It's is not terribly expensive but I have a hard time seeing those 5 move/over half range Str 3 shots doing anything worthwhile(but I might be mistaken on that)

Shadow Warriors are another new unit, with the Reaver Bow I was hoping the shadow walker could make up for the rest of the units' performance, but they didn't do anything really. My opponent did mention after the battle that the fact I had included them was enough to screw up his deployment phase, so maybe their tactical implications are more subtle than what they do on the table.

Swordmasters are there because I like them better than White Lions or Phoenix Guards. They got the Banner of the World Dragon for survivability purposes, There is a lot of magic shooting and direct damage spells that could wreck them quite fast.

I like chariots, and that's about the only argument for it really. I like the model, and it always seem to get way more attention from my opponents shooting than it should. So in that way it does draw fire from more valuable units Swordmasters/Silver Helms/Dragon Princes.

Dragon Princes are another new unit I'm trying out, They didn't do much due to where all the action happened on the table, so more games with them are required for sure. But they seem to scream ass-kicking on the charge. Maybe a full command group are a bit waste of points though.

I have always included a minimum of one great eagle, for setting up traps, threatening warmachines and generally being annoying. But the Reaver Knights do the same thing though.

2*boltthrowers lend some good shooting for the army, they saw to that 12 Knights of the Realm ran off the table due to a failed panic test, and their reduced cost just makes it more lucrative to have more I think.

So there you have it, my fairly standard High Elf army, with none of that new stuff bar the Loremaster perhaps. Some of the things I'm contemplating are to change the Archmage to a Loremaster with the Book of Hoeth, give the mage High Magic and maybe the Ring of Fury so he can potentially get 3 spells of in a turn. with that setup I believe having them both in the spearmen unit becomes more useful, they might not get 2+ ward save from miscast damage but the Loremaster don't seem to be terribly bothered with that when carrying the book, and the high mage should get shield of Saphery buffed for the a ward save of some kind. And with the Loremaster the unit gets some decent damage output when/if it gets stuck in.

I could see some potential in dropping the Shadow Warriors for another chariot in order to field a unit of them, thereby making them a more lucrative choice for some augment spells and for upping their general threatlevel. Maybe adding another great Eagle as well. I am way above the minimum core requirement and could easily drop the archers for more points elsewhere but feel that they are too useful/flexible in what they do.
Moving the Star Lance from my BsB to the Dragon Prince champion is another thing i'm thinking about. It would free up some points for better protection and bring some magic attacks to the dragons princes, they could perhaps also lose the standard bearer, since they should win most combats on the charge anyway. On the other hand he should provide some good casualties to the enemy when charging together with the Prince.
Adding 5 more Silver Helms to the unit is another thought I have had, this is to take advantage of the martial prowess special rule as well as the sheer sight of such a unit of on the table:D

So what are your views on this army? as well as the things I'm a bit torn between?

astorre
22-05-2013, 02:41
Hello! I have a few suggestions....
I think your characters need a reworking. You have a lot of points invested there & I don't believe they are optimal loadouts. With the Prince, you can get him Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Heavy Armor (or Dragon Armor) and a Barded Steed to give him a 1+ re-rollable armor, 2+ ward vs. first wound, and S7 with makes a big difference over S6 when fighting heavy armor or T5-6 monsters.
With the Archmage, I assume he is going into the Swordmasters to give them a ward save? If he is going to see combat, then I'd give him Book & 4++ to keep him alive & trickling High Magic spells.
I'd drop the mage down to a Lv1 and give him the ring of fury. Life isn't too good on lower level wizards, so I'd go with High also or something with a good sig spell, like Beasts, Heavens, or Metal (probably in that order).
I'd drop potion of strength on BSB & buy him some more protection, he's far too easy to kill right now unless you know you'll be breaking units on the charge. Also get him a GW for the turns he can't use the Lance.
Core looks pretty good, you could drop the Standard of Discipline as they cant use your general's ld. Could also swap the Reaver's musician for bows & spears.

Citadel97501
22-05-2013, 03:38
If your going to field Dragon Princes, or Silver Helms. I would heavily suggest you think about fielding units of 10 to 15 after characters. This allows you to deny points and they are extremely difficult to kill at their cost, also Silver Helms are very easy to fit in units of 10.

Here is a list that will include most of what you are trying to field but removes the less optimal stuff. Personally I would rather have White Lions over Sword Masters, and taking Dragon Princes instead is also a very solid choice.

When fielding an Archmage/Lore Master, I would suggest putting him in the Spear Men, and if you want you can give the level 2 High magic as well, and put him in a squad of Phoenix Guard this maxes out the bonus to ward saves, and keeps the mages out of combat where they can do their thing.

This list abuses Martial Prowess as much as possible since its one of the best things in our current codex. Dragon Princes are great but you need large groups (10+) of them to effectively shatter units.

Prince
-Armor of Destiny
-Ogre Blade
-Barded Steed
-Shield

Archmage or Lore Master
-Level 4
-Book of Hoeth
-Talisman of Preservation (Lore Master is better with the Armor of Silvered Steel)

Mage
-Level 2
-Dispel Scroll

Noble
-BSB
-Dragon Armor
-Barded Steed
-Star Lance
-Shield of the Myrwyrm

Core
Spear Men x 20
-Musician
-Banner
-Banner of Discipline (Remove the Banner if taking the Lore Master, due to points.)

Archers x 10

Silver Helms x 14
-Musician
-Banner
-Champion

Special
White Lions or Sword Masters x 21
-Musician
-Banner
-Champion
-Banner of the World Dragon

Rare
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Flamespyre Phoenix
Flamespyre Phoenix

Colonel Mayhem
22-05-2013, 07:07
Hello! I have a few suggestions....
I think your characters need a reworking. You have a lot of points invested there & I don't believe they are optimal loadouts. With the Prince, you can get him Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Heavy Armor (or Dragon Armor) and a Barded Steed to give him a 1+ re-rollable armor, 2+ ward vs. first wound, and S7 with makes a big difference over S6 when fighting heavy armor or T5-6 monsters.
With the Archmage, I assume he is going into the Swordmasters to give them a ward save? If he is going to see combat, then I'd give him Book & 4++ to keep him alive & trickling High Magic spells.
I'd drop the mage down to a Lv1 and give him the ring of fury. Life isn't too good on lower level wizards, so I'd go with High also or something with a good sig spell, like Beasts, Heavens, or Metal (probably in that order).
I'd drop potion of strength on BSB & buy him some more protection, he's far too easy to kill right now unless you know you'll be breaking units on the charge. Also get him a GW for the turns he can't use the Lance.
Core looks pretty good, you could drop the Standard of Discipline as they cant use your general's ld. Could also swap the Reaver's musician for bows & spears.

Regarding defence, wouldn't you be worried that having no ward save, bar the golden crowns one use, is a bit of a risky venture? I was considering something close to the things you suggest, but in the end I felt more comfortable with the 4+ ward from the Armour of Destiny. Which of coarse made it impossible to have the Giant Blade. With your setup I see that it is possible to have the giant blade, with the Dragon Armour he would after all have a 6+ ward save after the Crown has been used.
Regarding magic, the archmage is somewhat schizophrenic in that he don't want to get too close, but would really like to grant a good ward save to those who want. He really should go with the swordmasters, especially with the banner. I had him going with the spearmen together with the other mage. This was probably mostly because I had envisioned a Loremaster bringing much needed killing power to the spearmen. A last minute swap changed him to an Archmage. Next game I will probably bring the Loremaster, and keep the lvl 2 with the ring and high magic.
Honestly it had not occured to me to just give the BsB a great weapon instead of the potion:o that would free up some much needed points for defence.
Regarding the Standard of Discipline I feel it is very good for what it does. When I have a BSB and general who might not be anywhere near them leadership 10(assuming the Loremaster goes here) brings quite a lot of security in keeping them on the table, but it is one of the things that could go for sure.

If your going to field Dragon Princes, or Silver Helms. I would heavily suggest you think about fielding units of 10 to 15 after characters. This allows you to deny points and they are extremely difficult to kill at their cost, also Silver Helms are very easy to fit in units of 10.

Here is a list that will include most of what you are trying to field but removes the less optimal stuff. Personally I would rather have White Lions over Sword Masters, and taking Dragon Princes instead is also a very solid choice.

When fielding an Archmage/Lore Master, I would suggest putting him in the Spear Men, and if you want you can give the level 2 High magic as well, and put him in a squad of Phoenix Guard this maxes out the bonus to ward saves, and keeps the mages out of combat where they can do their thing.

This list abuses Martial Prowess as much as possible since its one of the best things in our current codex. Dragon Princes are great but you need large groups (10+) of them to effectively shatter units.

Prince
-Armor of Destiny
-Ogre Blade
-Barded Steed
-Shield

Archmage or Lore Master
-Level 4
-Book of Hoeth
-Talisman of Preservation (Lore Master is better with the Armor of Silvered Steel)

Mage
-Level 2
-Dispel Scroll

Noble
-BSB
-Dragon Armor
-Barded Steed
-Star Lance
-Shield of the Myrwyrm

Core
Spear Men x 20
-Musician
-Banner
-Banner of Discipline (Remove the Banner if taking the Lore Master, due to points.)

Archers x 10

Silver Helms x 14
-Musician
-Banner
-Champion

Special
White Lions or Sword Masters x 21
-Musician
-Banner
-Champion
-Banner of the World Dragon

Rare
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Flamespyre Phoenix
Flamespyre Phoenix

I could have sworn the Shield of Merwyrm was "Models on foot only". I really like the huge unit of Silverhelms and they should be able to bring some hurt on the table. and a big unit of Swordmasters could be very nasty to engage for any opponent. Although do fear the Spearmen unit is dangerously small.

Thanks for the advice, I got new things to ponder and the evergrowing stack of armylists to expand upon.