PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions!

Wolf Sgt Kirke
29-05-2006, 08:35
Anyone got any weird gaming superstitions?

I have a habit of making a little prayer to Leman Russ before taking vital dice rolls, even when i'm not using my SW - I know I'm crazy!

I also won't re-use dice that have rolled one's

and I try not to re-use dice that have rolled 6's so i don't run them out till I need a six, which is when I'll pick them up again.

Now I know I'm as mad as a fungus munching ork, But are you to?;)

acme2468
29-05-2006, 08:47
You Must interrupt whenever your opponent or a bystander says "anything but a one" as you are rolling the dice or otherwise thats what will come up for sure. lol

azimaith
29-05-2006, 08:50
I have a friend whose hammerhead tank is incapable of hitting on target with his submunitions, especially when that submunition could change the course of the game.

I've actually come to *depend* on it not hitting in many games.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
29-05-2006, 09:03
You Must interrupt whenever your opponent or a bystander says "anything but a one" as you are rolling the dice or otherwise thats what will come up for sure. lol

people who say "anything but a one" should be burnt at the stake!:evilgrin:

Orbital
29-05-2006, 09:08
Oddly enough, the Scatter Lasers on my War Walkers always hit, and the ones on my Wave Serpents never do. This helps me to priorize which targets get shot at in which order and by what. According to pure statistical probability, that's a ridiculous thing to base your tactics on... but all I can tell you is that my War Walkers seem to be able to hit stuff while the Wave Serpent pilots can't.

And I don't question it, lest I break the spell.

macbeth
29-05-2006, 09:19
I had a predator for my Black Legion. I always used it. For the first three or four years, it never exploded. Never. It was invincible.

But in 1999 I played a tournament where I was severely beaten, and where my predator was destroyed for the first time.

Now it never ends a game...

Kriegsherr
29-05-2006, 09:19
people who say "anything but a one" should be burnt at the stake!:evilgrin:

They really should!

But then again, sometimes I'm the evil grinning grot doing that to my opponents, so I'd better not join the mob with the torches and pointy sticks :)

Wolf Sgt Kirke
29-05-2006, 09:32
I know it's hard to resist saying but thinking it really hard at your opponent is allowed I think,....unless they are an inquisitor with mind reading abilities - in which case it's BBQ time for you amigo

I also never say "MISSile Launcher".... Oh damn!:eek:

The boyz
29-05-2006, 09:40
I also never say "MISSile Launcher".... Oh damn!:eek:

Same here, I never refer to it as "MISSile launcher" it is always known as a rocket launcher.

mongoosedog300
29-05-2006, 09:45
When I shoot my troops squad heavy weapons at something important, they always miss. when I shoot them at something that i couldnt care less about, but are in my way, they always hit and wound. Also I never use dice that have rolled 1's unless I really need too:D

I am the Monkey King
29-05-2006, 09:54
I know someone who uses red dice to roll for hits and wounds but never for his own saves because 'red dice kill things'.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
29-05-2006, 09:56
Same here, I never refer to it as "MISSile launcher" it is always known as a rocket launcher.

ahh! you've said it now! you'll probably MISS all important shots for at least a month! sorry thats just how it goes;)

lord_blackfang
29-05-2006, 10:23
Never use the same die when re-rolling.

Lostanddamned
29-05-2006, 10:27
@ Lord Blackfang : Complete Disagreement Here, They should have a second chance.

Use Dice that came up as 1's for armour saves

Use Dice that came up as 6's for leadership

Because they have got to make up for that...

Grimtuff
29-05-2006, 10:35

I always do, but then i'm a man that likes to live dangerously :cool:

WanderingRogue
29-05-2006, 10:40
yea re rolls for me too - if its twin linked and missed or i get a reroll for any reason; any dice that didnt make the grade first time dont get used again.

The thing is when a games getting fast and furious and i forget this and use the same dice they inevitably miss/dont wound whatever the second time round too.

Grimtuff
29-05-2006, 10:44
Just remembered, one of the things that we did a while ago was when a character had to pull thier finger out in HTH we would have the attack dice in 1 hand and another dice held tightly in your opposite hand. "to suck out all the bad energy from the other dice". Apparently.

Seemed to work though.

On a related note A friend of mine used to know this guy who would alway carry around a tub full of soil from the Peak District (IIRC) in which to recharge the energies of his dice. :p

ss_cherubael
29-05-2006, 11:19
i always leave the really (supposedly) crap weapons (las guns,heavy stubbers, shot guns, auto guns, multi-lasers) to the end of my phase, that way the opponent thinks "hey he couldnt kill me with a las cannon or a battle cannon hows he gonna do it with a las gun?" he then usually rolls a one for the armour save.

I am the other way round with the missile launcher thing, call it a rocket and it racks off in the opposite direction to the target, call it a missile launcher and it feels like it has something to prove and blows that land raider to bits.

Also i always, always take one mortar in my guard army, not two, not none, but one! it seems to be able to kill those pesky chaos lords and what nots. Seriously i cant kill a grot with a las cannon held by a marine, but if im given the chance that conscript over there with the las gun will take your lord, your grand master, your high marshall your what ever to bits with a flash light!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigur
29-05-2006, 11:30
Anyone got any weird gaming superstitions?

I have a habit of making a little prayer to Leman Russ before taking vital dice rolls, even when i'm not using my SW - I know I'm crazy!

I also won't re-use dice that have rolled one's

and I try not to re-use dice that have rolled 6's so i don't run them out till I need a six, which is when I'll pick them up again.

That's not crazy, lots and lots of people do it. Just rething your definition of "crazy", people.

Overlord Krycis
29-05-2006, 11:37
I have a little mascot that I take to EVERY battle...its a Warmaster Sorceror, the one on the rock outcrop...
Every time I forget to bring him I lose...not just a little bit either...I get absolutely annihilated. I think he gives all the models in my carry case a pep talk before the battle to get them geared up for battle.

Rabid Bunny 666
29-05-2006, 11:46
the good old "Anything but a 1" works wonders, ass does the Rocket Launchers, also in slough, i used to have a kebab during core club (lamb donner with Mayo and no salad) and it always brought me luck.

C'tan
29-05-2006, 11:57
Good old Sluff. Where you can eat and drink without being hassled by the managers.

Tonberry
29-05-2006, 11:58
All armour saves must me made with eyes closed, so as not to distract the dice.

Vanger
29-05-2006, 12:05
I always use the red dice to roll for to hit with the plasmagun :)

And always use the GW 40K dice for rolling morale, because they tend to show me only the eagles :)

chicodon
29-05-2006, 12:05
when i roll a large amount of dice i like them all the be the same colour

True story "i had 28 shots from my firewarriors i had 23 reds 3 blacks and 2 whites about 80% of the red hit and all the blacks and whites were 1's" :eek:

ill never use non red die again !!!

Cheatah
29-05-2006, 12:17
A friend of mine always rolls ones on his to hit rolls for missile launchers. The few times he rolls a hit, the to wound roll ends up a one...

I told him he shouldn't use any missile launchers... but he just keeps taking them in his armies (SM and IG).

This means I'm never worried when he's shooting his missile launchers at my all-important dreadnought or whatever else he points them at :)

Ezekius
29-05-2006, 12:18
I believe that dice cannot roll a low/high number two times in a row, so, either I use another dice when rolling something, or I re-roll some dice, and according to the number I want to roll, I pick a dice that rolled the opposite. Learned this from my friend, and seems to work... Also, I use GW's dice, and hell, the red ones suck, they almost never give you a good number. Black ones, on the other hand... :D

Chem-Dog
29-05-2006, 12:24
Roll any dice to hit, only successful dice to wound, succesful wound dice get kept aside for important rolls.

I have to put my killed models away straight after they die.

Always line my units up with what they are going to be shooting in the movement phase, it's a leftover from the old days.

Azazel
29-05-2006, 15:59
I always use the same coloured dice. Mostly red ones.

And when rolling to see who gets the first turn I always look for a dice with a '1' facing up. Like in the old Indiana Jones movie "You have chosen... Wisely".

Sounds like guff I know. But I do get the first turn more often than my regular opponents.

Wraithbored
29-05-2006, 16:13
Well at the local gaming group I am known as the "Bringer of horridly bad luck", namely my presence alone can make dice behave in an extremely weird fashion. However my dice never affect me.... :D

Lyinar
29-05-2006, 16:17
As I've not had enough of a chance to develop 40k-specific superstitions, these are some of the ones from my old D&D group.

Dice Fu: We trained our dice by making sure that they sat with their highest numbers facing up. It didn't always work, and when it didn't, we made statements disparaging the learning abilities of the offending dice.

Decontamination: One of our players used the hard plastic carrying case for his dice to decontaminate dice that rolled bad, by enclosing it in the case and shaking vigorously. Amazingly enough, it actually worked.

langolas
29-05-2006, 16:22
Before a battle I break out my dice and roll a handful. I weed out the lowest rolling ones and keep the high ones.

I try never to play with unpainted models in my army, the few times I have I have gotten slaughtered unmercifully (Plus it looks out of place with a fully painted army ,minus the giant hive tyrant missing his arms)

Grimtuff
29-05-2006, 16:26
Well at the local gaming group I am known as the "Bringer of horridly bad luck", namely my presence alone can make dice behave in an extremely weird fashion. However my dice never affect me.... :D

Ah yes, the oft named "Dice Pariah" around these parts. A mate of mine and I were playing WHFB and his DP (Gah it's that initial again! ;) ) was the Full timer called Stu, mine was another full timer whose name escapes me ATM.

Both were standing behind us for the duration of the game. It lasted 3 turns as we systematically destroyed one another. :p

Ardis deLeveren
29-05-2006, 16:31
People in my club always seek the dice with 1s facing up. For any roll. Sometimes it take so long it gets irritating... And doesn't work well enough to justify the wase of time. It doesn't work any better than any other dice, in fact. :rolleyes:

I, on the other had, always roll my Assault Cannons, and Chaplain's rolls, with black dice. I have exactly 8 black dice, for 2 ACs. :D Not that it's especially effective, but I just got used to it... :p

sliganian
29-05-2006, 16:44
I am violently opposed to the idea of superstitions of any kind. Intellectually, I know it is all bull-cocky. :mad:

I am sure if one actually mapped out their dice rolling over several games you would find no siginificant statistical variation (unless your dice are loaded).

However...... :eyebrows:

ARMOUR SAVES
My *perceptions* (and that of my regular opponents) is that if I have to make 3 or less Power Armour Saves, I will usually make all of them.

If, however, I need to make more than three, I will probably fail over half. It is pretty much a gurantee that if you force me to make 9 armour saves, I will fail 5-6 well over 50% of the time.

The exception is Daemon Invulnerable saves. They are the Reverse of the above. I once had a unit of Flamers hit by a D-Cannon. I needed to make 10 Invulnerable saves (5+). I made 8.

ATTACKS
Any uber-killy character I have who charges will likely miss with over 50% of their uber-killy attacks. Example: Termie Lord charging with Dark Blade, six attacks. I would full expect -- and not be at all surprised-- to roll 2,2,2,1,1,3.
Ditto for my Daemon Prince.
Ditto for a BloodThirster.

But my 'joe troopers'? They'll smack your **** six-ways from Sunday. Six guys with bolters? I'll hit 5 times and wound 4 times, and you will fail 3 saves. I once had 5 Imperial Guardsmen take the last wound off a charging Carnifex. A single Raptor hold off 20 Hormogaunts and win the combat round by one. etc.etc. A biker with a Krak grenade blow up a Dreadnought (and the Biker only gets one attack with the grenade!).

vcassano
29-05-2006, 17:39
I am violently opposed to the idea of superstitions of any kind. Intellectually, I know it is all bull-cocky. :mad:

I am sure if one actually mapped out their dice rolling over several games you would find no siginificant statistical variation (unless your dice are loaded).

My thoughts exactly - you will always remember the extremes of the dice rolling and if you happen to get these "extreme" results in a couple of games, you'll find the majority of rolls for that particular set of dice OR unit over time will be slightly below average the rest of the time. Not so below average that they are horrendous but almost unnoticeably under-average. Or if one unit/set of dice consistently roll well than the rest of the army will suffer.

Gethalorre
29-05-2006, 18:56
White dice suck.

5+ invulnerables will alway be 2/3 passed.

And Lasguns only ever kill one per squad.

Artemis_Quinn
29-05-2006, 19:10
I have a skaven army in fantasy and so I bought dice that look similar to what I think warpstone should look like..... well, let's just say I couldn't hit the side of an immoble landraider with a twin-linked fusion gun on a Tau commander..... it's horrible, they roll really bad a large majority of the time..

So, I've reverted to using the GW dice I bought..... which seem to roll exceptionally good (when i roll 13 out of 16 hits naturally on 4+'s I think I can trust them.... they're my high rollers... not good for toughness tests though)

Kymar
29-05-2006, 19:32
I have a little mascot that I take to EVERY battle...its a Warmaster Sorceror, the one on the rock outcrop...
Every time I forget to bring him I lose...not just a little bit either...I get absolutely annihilated. I think he gives all the models in my carry case a pep talk before the battle to get them geared up for battle.

I'm sorry but that reminds me of good luck trollies that people have for bingo. :lol: :p

As for my own superstitions; The only thing I like to do is a call of "Big Money!, Daddy needs a 4!" when I'm saving on Rune Armor. It usually works!

Stormhammers
30-05-2006, 00:33
I know someone who uses red dice to roll for hits and wounds but never for his own saves because 'red dice kill things'.

I know someone who does that too <<looks around sheepishly, then looks down in emarassment>>

Stormhammers
30-05-2006, 00:37
My thoughts exactly - you will always remember the extremes of the dice rolling and if you happen to get these "extreme" results in a couple of games, you'll find the majority of rolls for that particular set of dice OR unit over time will be slightly below average the rest of the time. Not so below average that they are horrendous but almost unnoticeably under-average. Or if one unit/set of dice consistently roll well than the rest of the army will suffer.

Once had a game where my Warlock (Mordheim) stood around failing to cast spells, then got knocked down, ran away and tried to climb up to another level, failed, I actually rolled 1's for EVERYTHING he tried to do. I know it's not 40K, but it still shows the possibility for "extreme" results

warboss48
30-05-2006, 01:06
well i have a tendancy to threaten the dice if the battles going badly against me or if those very dice have been doing badly in the game. i also swear at my warboss sometimes when he gets killed.

Da Reddaneks
30-05-2006, 01:28
Green dice for general ork stuff. choppas, mob tests, shooting basic weapons.
Orange dice for powerclaws.
Blue dice for when i need a lucky roll.
Red dice for when i need to roll faster.

But mine is real and not a superstition.

Vanger
30-05-2006, 06:53
One guy around here rolls the dice for armour saves one by one , calling out the save (four pluss, three pluss, etc.), if he has to make important saves. Usually works for him. :wtf:

Wolf Sgt Kirke
30-05-2006, 07:16
I should have mentioned this earlier, but I didn't think it was a superstition

When I play with my tanith ghosts refer to as many of the troopers as possible by character names when I need them to do something important for instance I'll say "I need you to wound that Wraithlord, Larkin"

I also Tend to use Tanith swearwords and say "The Emporer Protects" before making armour or cover saves - I think I'm either a ghost born in the wrong reality or a little mad? Woof!

C. Langana
30-05-2006, 07:39
My baneblade makes people cry. Don't know or care why. It just makes me want to take up polygamy, so I can marry that too.

Grimtuff
30-05-2006, 10:03
One guy around here rolls the dice for armour saves one by one , calling out the save (four pluss, three pluss, etc.), if he has to make important saves. Usually works for him. :wtf:

Nothing wrong with that statistically speaking, but that's just bad gaming etiquette IMO.

BloodRaven
30-05-2006, 10:37

Do you play Lamenters, by any chance?

sralialo
30-05-2006, 11:15
I only roll dice with my leftr hand, even though I'm not left handed. Seem to roll better, at least in my head.

Griffin
30-05-2006, 11:45
must be lamenters..

unwanted
30-05-2006, 12:04
Allways, allways ALLWAYS black dice for attacks, wounding etc. and white for armour saves!

Red for heavy&special weapons and characters!

Getifa Ubazza
30-05-2006, 12:14
I dont have any superstitions but everyone at my club refuse to use my dice; when ever i use them i get average results, but when ever they use them the dice always seem to roll way to many ones.

I know this isnt just my club as i went to another club once and the same thing happened.

russian
30-05-2006, 13:45
well a while back there was a guy who was so jammy he would make almost all his saves most being 5+'s so much so we named this after him, recently hes moved back to playing chaos and he is failing armour rolls,

to get good dice rolls you must sacrifice something to the dice gods

its not a superstition but when playing bloodbowl going for it to cross the line almost ALWAYS fails,

i carnt remember the exact phrase but the warhammer clicke at gobstyks(my local club) when some one says anything but a one they have this wierd quite and touching routine

also i have a few sets of squared dice not the rounded of corner ones and i use them almost exclusisvly for bloodbowl and wheni need to make important rolls for some reason if i have them on me,

grimtuff the sucking the bad out of dice earlyer u mantioned worked when bob farseer toppled your titian:P

grg3d
30-05-2006, 14:10
10 Strange but True Facts :eek:
1) I don't let anyone roll my dice but me (I bring extra dice if they need to use some)
2) For each army I play they have their own dice and different color schemes
3) Special LD test dice (that’s all I use them for)
4) When rolling my dice I always say "anything but a one" It works for me (4+ on most of them!)
5) When my Opponent is rolling I always say "anything but a one" It works for me (allot of one's are rolled) when they bitch I say come on do you really think I can influence dice because if I could I would be in Las Vegas
6) give all my characters names (no red shirts)
7) Never re-roll dice that go off the table (use different ones)
8) Bribe my pieces before battle with "I'll give you another high light if you do well in the up coming battle.
9) Use bigger Dice for characters but they are the same color as the little ones
10) "Against all odds" have had this happen allot the figure should have been killed before the dice are rolled… but lives (the stuff that legends are made of)

Grimtuff
30-05-2006, 17:57
well a while back there was a guy who was so jammy he would make almost all his saves most being 5+'s so much so we named this after him, recently hes moved back to playing chaos and he is failing armour rolls

All bow down to the almightly Yem! :)

grimtuff the sucking the bad out of dice earlyer u mantioned worked when bob farseer toppled your titian:P

Psst, that's why they're superstitions. they don't really work, but I like to think they do :p

Giltharin
30-05-2006, 21:50
- If a dice misses, don't use it again during the same turn
- Always roll to wound with the dices that hit
- Always use dices that scored lowest from opponent to wound for my armour saves

Cheers
Gilth

Corn Berserker
30-05-2006, 22:06
Always give the most important jobs to my named characters. On Sunday R. Sharpe (Grey Knight Justicar) took out a Dark Eldar ravager with 2 plasma cannon equivelants (destructor?) using his storm bolter after the rest of his squad had perished. Shaft (another Justicar) is always first into dangerous combat. Lemmy (Khorne Berserker Asp Champ with powerfist) after taking out a Carnifex and a Hive Tyrant in the same round of combat is always charged towards stompy creatures.

No real dice superstition apart from my Urukhai always play with the dark forces (missunderstood, not all germans were nazis = not all uruks are evil!) GW dice.

The Wraithlord
31-05-2006, 00:28
I have to make sure that I use all my dice, not just a few, so I end up with two piles of dice on either side of the table. After I roll for hits/wounds etc for that unit, those dice go to the opposite side of the table and I take the next batch from the first pile. Doing this ensures that my dice do not feel left out, meaning they will not rebel against me by turning up 1's so often :D

I also have different dice for both armies, black for Chaos, Green for Tau.

Oh, and when I roll, I don't roll them straight out like most people, I use a backward motion so the dice come out of my hand slightly back towards me. Doing this has been the cause of insanely good rolls for me, especially with Tau. Just ridiculous rolls of 4+ for the entire army this way. My black dice don't like this method however but I don't need to roll so high with them (Chaos dice :D) so I ignore their whining :lol:

Icarus
31-05-2006, 01:56
My Canoness had a magic plasma pistol.
It had never overheated. Ever. In 30+ games.
I didn't dispute the power of the Canoness and her pistol, I just let them be.

Then one day I actually got to play another Witch Hunters player for the first time. It promised to be a really interesting game and we were getting really into it. In the heat of the moment I mentioned the magic plasma pistol OUT LOUD to a REAL person! I regretted it instantly.

Overheat and wound caused on the first turn! My Lady has forsaken me!

Wolf Sgt Kirke
31-05-2006, 07:03
10) "Against all odds" have had this happen allot the figure should have been killed before the dice are rolled… but lives (the stuff that legends are made of)

Thats always been the way, don't just take that guardsman off, he may kill the genestealer, then even if you lose you can feel good!

I even tell my opponents who take of mini's coz they think it's gonna die anyway to give it a chance - Thats how much I love the underdog!