PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian 750 points army list - Help?

Thorphax
23-05-2013, 18:01
Hey everyone, I recently started playing warhammer fantasy and fell in love with the bretonnians, been playing with them for a few weeks now but still trying to get the hang of the game ( mostly a 40k player for the longest time )

I've been refining this army list for a bit now and was wondering if you guys could give me some hints, tactics, critiques, and help in general?

Just looking for something that works nicely with the right tactic, in this case charges, since bretonnians are all about heavy cavalary charges with some backup of peasants.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

BRETONNIAN ARMY

750 POINTS

---------------------------------------------------

~GENERAL~

Paladin - Total: 110
- Paladin
- Lance
- Shield
- Bretonnian Warhorse
- The Wyrmlance
- Gauntlet of the Duel

~HEROES~

Paladin - Total: 78 ( BSB )
- Paladin
- Lance
- Bretonnian Warhorse
- Battle Standard Bearer

~CORE~

Knights Errant - Total: 221 ( BSB goes here )
- 9x Knights
- 1x Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Errantry Banner

Knights of the Realm - Total: 240 ( General goes here )
- 9x Knights
- 1x Musician
- Standard Bearer

Peasant Bowmen - Total: 101
- 16x Archers
- Braziers
- Defensive Stakes

Alathir
24-05-2013, 08:21
First off, welcome to the game and congrats on picking Bretonnians - as a longtime player of them myself I can only say, you have chosen... wisely.

Of course, your list is often shaped by the community of players around you but I will offer the best advice I can. 750 points can be a very difficult game size for certain lists but we Bretonnians can excel in small games.

First off, your characters! Sadly, your Paladin can't carry that Dispel Scroll since only Wizards can take arcane items. Its a shame, but if you are truly worried about magic there are alternatives, but to be honest I think at this size game you don't need to worry too much. Just put your faith in the lady...

Secondly, since the game is so small you only have 188 points to spend on your characters which you are currently over. The general is still considered a Hero and so you only have 25% of your army's allowance to spend on them.

I think the Battle Standard Bearer is better served atop the Pegasus honestly, and I'd stick my general with a unit. I've done this myself and seen others use it to great effectiveness. Essentially it gives you a guy who can jump around the battlefield and really swing combats if he needs to. Charge into a flank of an enemy that your knights have previously engaged and you'll be adding +3 combat resolution before he even swings his sword (thats +1 for charging, +1 for flanking and +1 for carrying the Battle Standard).

So, then with the BSB on a Pegasus assisting combats or mopping up smaller units, the general goes to a unit. I'd just give both your characters a lance for some extra punch. This caps you out at 188 points exactly.

As for your army itself, its decent enough but I think you'll find you want your knights unit to be a bit bigger to really be effective. Its tricky with Bretonnians at this points level, you really have to have alot of care with your placement and which engagements you choose. You almost want to play them like Fast Cavalry, moving about the battlefield until an opportune moment really presents itself.

As for your peasant contingents, I dont know how valuable the Men-at-Arms really are at this points level but if you have the models, you might as well see how they go.

Here is a list I just cooked up for 750, its far from great but its just a slightly different approach.

Paladin = 74
- Barded Bretonnian Warhorse
- Lance

Paladin = 114
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Lance
- Royal Pegasus

Knights Errant x 9 = 201
- Full Command

Knights of the Realm x 6 = 168
- Full Command
- Led by the General

Pegasus Knights x 3 = 185
- Standard Bearer

On a final note, its against Warseer's rules to post the prices of individual upgrades found in army books, so you might want to take those down. I hope this helps somewhat! Feel free to ask me anything.

Thorphax
24-05-2013, 13:43
First off, welcome to the game and congrats on picking Bretonnians - as a longtime player of them myself I can only say, you have chosen... wisely.

Of course, your list is often shaped by the community of players around you but I will offer the best advice I can. 750 points can be a very difficult game size for certain lists but we Bretonnians can excel in small games.

First off, your characters! Sadly, your Paladin can't carry that Dispel Scroll since only Wizards can take arcane items. Its a shame, but if you are truly worried about magic there are alternatives, but to be honest I think at this size game you don't need to worry too much. Just put your faith in the lady...

Secondly, since the game is so small you only have 188 points to spend on your characters which you are currently over. The general is still considered a Hero and so you only have 25% of your army's allowance to spend on them.

I think the Battle Standard Bearer is better served atop the Pegasus honestly, and I'd stick my general with a unit. I've done this myself and seen others use it to great effectiveness. Essentially it gives you a guy who can jump around the battlefield and really swing combats if he needs to. Charge into a flank of an enemy that your knights have previously engaged and you'll be adding +3 combat resolution before he even swings his sword (thats +1 for charging, +1 for flanking and +1 for carrying the Battle Standard).

So, then with the BSB on a Pegasus assisting combats or mopping up smaller units, the general goes to a unit. I'd just give both your characters a lance for some extra punch. This caps you out at 188 points exactly.

As for your army itself, its decent enough but I think you'll find you want your knights unit to be a bit bigger to really be effective. Its tricky with Bretonnians at this points level, you really have to have alot of care with your placement and which engagements you choose. You almost want to play them like Fast Cavalry, moving about the battlefield until an opportune moment really presents itself.

As for your peasant contingents, I dont know how valuable the Men-at-Arms really are at this points level but if you have the models, you might as well see how they go.

Here is a list I just cooked up for 750, its far from great but its just a slightly different approach.

Paladin = 74
- Lance

Paladin = 114
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Lance
- Royal Pegasus

Knights Errant x 9 = 201
- Full Command

- Full Command
- Led by the General

- Standard Bearer

On a final note, its against Warseer's rules to post the prices of individual upgrades found in army books, so you might want to take those down. I hope this helps somewhat! Feel free to ask me anything.

Hey Alathir! Thanks a bunch for this, helps a lot!

First of, I was never much interested in Warhammer Fantasy, but when I saw the Bretonnians.... man, love at first sight I tell you, haha.

Also I see what you mean about the General still being a hero, darn thats kind of sucky but I think it would explain why he killed 2 Dune Scorpions by himself without taking a wound the last games I played haha.

I see what you mean about the BSB, it seems it would indeed be a better idea to have him roaming around on a pegasus, I was also considering ( if based on my original list ) take down the Man at Arms and drop a trebuchet in their place. I have been experimenting with it but the dice rolls have been rather poor for me to properly judge its effectiveness, which also reminds me are they still Strengh 5(10)?

I've been noticing that the Peasant Bowman do really well in armies this low in points, 16 of them harassing the enemy before charging ( with flaming arrows too, which helps stop those pesky regen rolls ) have been quite effective so far.

Also I'm not sure why but I was never too fond of Knights Errant since for 4 points more you can get Knights of the Realm which are slightly better. Any thoughts on them?

I will revise a list up and post it for you here sometime soon, but I will give the one you made up a try today at my local shop and see how it does :)

I think my question now is, what is the best way to play with Bretonnians? In therms of what my tactics should be, deployment, etc. in games of 750, 1000 and 2000 points mostly ( which are the ones I have ready made lists at this point )

Thanks again!

Thorphax
24-05-2013, 14:58
Oh btw, for the general paladin, the warhorse plus a lance plus the paladin cost puts the total on 78 ( with a shield its actually 80 )

Thorphax
24-05-2013, 17:02

Paladin = 74
- Lance

Paladin = 114
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Lance
- Royal Pegasus

Knights Errant x 9 = 201
- Full Command

- Full Command
- Led by the General

- Standard Bearer

Updated my post with a newer list, let me know what you think of that! :)

Thorphax
24-05-2013, 17:03

Paladin = 74
- Lance

Paladin = 114
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Lance
- Royal Pegasus

Knights Errant x 9 = 201
- Full Command

- Full Command
- Led by the General

- Standard Bearer

Updated my post with a newer list, let me know what you think of that! :)

King Arthur
01-06-2013, 14:08
Welcome to Bretonnia and Fantasy right firstly the Bsb can't have any mundane weaponry and personally I use on a horse my personal list is drop and choose as you please!

Heroes-184pts
Damsel of the Lady on warhorse-80pts (beast to cast wyysans wildform and helps to dispel as well as giving magic resistance to one of my knights units)
BSB barded warhorse,dawnstone,charmed shield-104pts (bolsters a unit and a 2+ re rollable is nothing to be sniffed at in 750pts as well as bouncing of the first hit)

Core-566pts
11 knights of the realm FC-288pts(goes with damsel can take out most things espcially with wildform)
9 KE FC-201pts (goes with BSb nice hard hitting unit)
12 PB braziers-77pts (little support may want to drop these and a knight for a trebuchet)

Thorphax
02-06-2013, 13:46
Welcome to Bretonnia and Fantasy right firstly the Bsb can't have any mundane weaponry and personally I use on a horse my personal list is drop and choose as you please!

Heroes-184pts
Damsel of the Lady on warhorse-80pts (beast to cast wyysans wildform and helps to dispel as well as giving magic resistance to one of my knights units)
BSB barded warhorse,dawnstone,charmed shield-104pts (bolsters a unit and a 2+ re rollable is nothing to be sniffed at in 750pts as well as bouncing of the first hit)

Core-566pts
11 knights of the realm FC-288pts(goes with damsel can take out most things espcially with wildform)
9 KE FC-201pts (goes with BSb nice hard hitting unit)
12 PB braziers-77pts (little support may want to drop these and a knight for a trebuchet)

I will definitely give this list a try! Thank you very much for your input King Arthur :)

King Arthur
03-06-2013, 14:51
Thats alright have fun!