PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Noble on Chariot?

Citadel97501
24-05-2013, 04:55
Hello all,

I have never taken a noble on a chariot and I was going through a full list of every high elf model, I had and this build came to mind? I think he might be great for slamming into a unit with a character or two in it? I personally can't decide if this or a Sky Cutter with Sea Helm is better since you can fly over charge deflectors and have a ward save vs. shooting.

Noble on Tiranoc Chariot
-Heavy Armor
-Sword of Anti-Heroes
-Dragon Helm
-Potion of Fool Hardiness
-Shield

Pro's
2+ armor save
2+ ward saves vs. fire
1d6 Impact Hits at strength 5
Is terrifying in a challenge

At minimum 5 attacks at strength 5, 2 at strength 4/3 2nd round, 4 at strength 3.

Con's
Cannon bait
Deflectors

Sea Helm on Sky Cutter
-Sword of Anti-Heroes
-Dragon Helm
-Potion of Fool Hardiness

Pro's
2+ ward saves vs. fire
1d6 Impact Hits at strength 5
Is terrifying in a challenge
Immune to Deflectors
4+ ward saves vs. shooting

At minimum 4 attacks at strength 5, 2 at strength 4/3 2nd round, 4 at strength 3.

Cons
Fewer attacks than the Noble on Tiranoc chariot
Much Worse Armor Save (4+)

Brotheroracle
24-05-2013, 05:13
Don't take the Dragonhelm on a noble when you can just take dragon armor.

Citadel97501
24-05-2013, 05:28
Don't take the Dragonhelm on a noble when you can just take dragon armor.

The reason I took the Dragon Helm instead, is increased his armor up 1, and gave the same benefit as the Dragon Armor for only 4 more points than the Dragon Armor. This seemed appropriate if I intend to challenge whenever I charge.

sulla
24-05-2013, 05:59
Spoiler; it's not terrifying in a challenge. The opponent can get easy combat res by targeting the soft elven chariot. Also, the impact hits don't go into the challenge.

Generally speaking, chariot characters are quite weak in 8th edition, and High Elven ones even moreso.

Look *******' awesome though...

Citadel97501
24-05-2013, 06:17
They can't direct attacks at the chariot if its involved in a challenge, its a mount.

Lord Solar Plexus
24-05-2013, 06:51
Could you please explain the numbers of the first hero? I'm not yet as familiar with HE as I would like to. Why does he get a 1+ AS, does the Chariot provide +2? How does he get a minimum of 5 attacks? 3 base, 1 character, 1 for the lotion? Then why does he only get 2 in the second round?

Citadel97501
24-05-2013, 07:51
The +2 is due to the Chariot, if I remember correctly? I may be wrong since I can't seem to find anything in the BRB except for a mounted armor save?

I was counting his (The Noble) attacks, as 3 + 1 with potion, and he should always be charging a unit with at least one character in it due to his magc weapon. The other attacks noted are for the other elf, and horses since they are used in the challenge and can't have the units attacks directed at the chariot if he is in a challenge.

Example:
He drinks his potion and then charges a unit of Warriors of Chaos with 1 Character in it. 1d6 impact hits to the unit.

Noble's attacks
Round 1: 5, (3+1 for devastating charge +1 for an enemy character).
Round 2: 4, (3+1 for an enemy character if he is still alive)

Elf
Round 1: 2 attacks, due to devastating charge
Round 2: 1 attack...

2 Horses
Round 1: 4 attacks, due to a devastating charge
Round 2: 2 attacks

Rakariel
24-05-2013, 08:22
Might be a severe lack of knowledge on my part but since when did a chariot provide an armor save for a character riding it? I never play characters on chariots because I think they die too easily to shooting so I never actually looked that up (and I dont have the book on me atm).

Citadel97501
24-05-2013, 08:31
Might be a severe lack of knowledge on my part but since when did a chariot provide an armor save for a character riding it? I never play characters on chariots because I think they die too easily to shooting so I never actually looked that up (and I dont have the book on me atm).

Chariot Mount, page 105
Ridden Monsters and Armor Saves, page 105

Basically the first part says follows all rules except 1, and then the next part says you get the mounted armor save. Sadly it does look like the armor save is only 2+ on the Noble.

Rakariel
24-05-2013, 08:37
Cheers :)
Always thought chariots are treated differently than ridden monsters, dunno why, never came up.

Von Wibble
26-05-2013, 12:08
I'd have the 2+ ward against the first wound caused to help against cannonfire myself. I think for a few more points a griffon looks better though.