PDA

View Full Version : Boxart changes policy?

Tancred II von Quenelles
25-05-2013, 07:54
It seems all 40k is going to get black boxart. Maybe fantasy follows this trend and gets some other universal color boxart. Its sad, previous 3d scenaric arts were better. Why is it so?

jack da greenskin
25-05-2013, 10:02
Cost? Ease of production? Looks better for parents of younger gamers buying gifts?

Does it really matter? The sprues are exactly the same, there are much worse things GW are doing than changing the occasional box art. (Personally, I like the ones with the artwork of the unit on, like you'd see on a codex cover. IIRC around 6/7th ed fantasy they did this.)

Dr Zoidberg
25-05-2013, 10:09
You mean as in the new Eldar box art? Personally, I don't mind that minimalist look.

azhagmorglum
25-05-2013, 10:13
You mean as in the new Eldar box art? Personally, I don't mind that minimalist look.

And as it goes for GW, less is more expensive! :-( actually more is more expensive as well... :-( again

Anyway I quite like it though

Dr Zoidberg
25-05-2013, 10:21
And as it goes for GW, less is more expensive! :-( actually more is more expensive as well... :-( again

Anyway I quite like it though

Oh, I'm sure we're being charged for it. New to GW: Finebox!

Bovadose
26-05-2013, 09:56
I don't like the new box art, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Horus Lupercal
26-05-2013, 10:31
It doesn't really matter to me. The art was cool but I only rip it up and bin it anyways.

zoggin-eck
26-05-2013, 13:11
Seriously guys, can we have one thread that doesn't end up a price discussion? All they've done is change how their box art looks.

Personally, I never liked the Photoshoppy fake fire and lightning effects they threw all over the previous boxes anyway. I think simply having a large photo of the model in question would look good/stand out in an independent store, and GW are all about brand recognition. It looks a little dull to me, but I'm not the target audience. (If it were up to me, I'd have the artists come up with one unique painting per box. The covers of the 80's Citadel Colour sets with the Golden Daemon himself painting figures were more inspiring than the photos of paint pots! :D)

avien
26-05-2013, 14:17
Seriously guys, can we have one thread that doesn't end up a price discussion? All they've done is change how their box art looks.

Personally, I never liked the Photoshoppy fake fire and lightning effects they threw all over the previous boxes anyway. I think simply having a large photo of the model in question would look good/stand out in an independent store, and GW are all about brand recognition. It looks a little dull to me, but I'm not the target audience. (If it were up to me, I'd have the artists come up with one unique painting per box. The covers of the 80's Citadel Colour sets with the Golden Daemon himself painting figures were more inspiring than the photos of paint pots! :D)

I thought they were all about bleeding every last cent possible out of their customers?? Sorry, couldn't resist :D

I prefer the new box art, never liked the photoshopped battle scenes.

zoggin-eck
26-05-2013, 15:33
I prefer the new box art, never liked the photoshopped battle scenes.

Edited photos age so terribly, too. Take a look at the US sides "Generals Compendium" for fantasy. It's a fantastic book full of great, characterful armies and terrain. Sadly, many photos are ruined by smoke added to cannons, lightning backgrounds, magic effects, glowing eyes etc.

avien
26-05-2013, 15:36
Edited photos age so terribly, too. Take a look at the US sides "Generals Compendium" for fantasy. It's a fantastic book full of great, characterful armies and terrain. Sadly, many photos are ruined by smoke added to cannons, lightning backgrounds, magic effects, glowing eyes etc.

This is true. Which is why I prefer the simpler box art, just show me the model and save the bling