PDA

View Full Version : This real guy is ALMOST a Space Marine

Cpl. Calvin
25-05-2013, 19:51
Came across this in my usual skimming of NFL news and had to post it. Maybe it is just me but this is nuts, this guy is darn near a real live Space Marine. I know Worlds' Strongest Man, etc. but check out the athleticism numbers at the bottom - this guy can move. Ran the 40yd dash in 5.8 sec which seems slow but for reference, the fastest guys in the NFL run that in about 4.3... And they weigh ~180 lbs. I just thought folks might find this interesting. Mother nature occasionally makes a marine, is there any doubt we can do it ourselves someday? Now, we just have to get him to live 300+ years...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9308076/st-louis-rams-move-403-pounder-offense

Horus38
25-05-2013, 19:58
Hot damn, I'd say so! Slap some Mark V on that guy and he's good to go :)

JWhex
26-05-2013, 06:02
but can he spit acid?

El_Machinae
26-05-2013, 12:55
Mother nature occasionally makes a marine, is there any doubt we can do it ourselves someday?

I don't know! Will we ever be allowed to intentionally do something like that?

Horus Lupercal
26-05-2013, 13:25
Can he-

Spit acid
Survive short times in a vacuum
Resist all current known toxins
Eat someone's brain to gain knowledge
Use his extra heart to make him train for longer?
Almost instantly clot any wounds?
Ignore pain like broken bones and continue on?

Just some of the things a marine can do lol.

However. The guy is DENCH!

Imperial Bearman
26-05-2013, 15:36
Can he-

Spit acid

Only one way to find out :D

Horus Lupercal
26-05-2013, 16:28
FIND AN ORK! Field testing! Yaaaay!

baphomael
26-05-2013, 16:38
Only one way to find out :D

Well you're welcome to find out. I'll watch from a safe distance.

fgsfds-
26-05-2013, 16:44
GOD he's tall.
A Salamander Battle brother.

Cpl. Calvin
27-05-2013, 12:01

Right now no, of course. It will take a long time and some sort of an erosion of current moral views on life, etc. Personally I say we should not but the point is, it must be possible.

Can he-

Spit acid

Just some of the things a marine can do lol.

However. The guy is DENCH!

Of course, those are further additions to the standard model, the amazing thing here is he is almost the standard model!

El_Machinae
27-05-2013, 12:11
Well, some of the current medical R&D would help bootstrap us to similar transhuman augmentations. Growing hearts in the lab (http://journals.lww.com/cardiovascularpharm/Abstract/publishahead/Growing_Vascularized_Heart_Tissue_from_Stem_Cells. 99217.aspx), for future implantation, would be one available tech. Suppressing pain signaling would probably be best done with some type of cybernetic implants into the pain receptors that are housed in the dorsal root ganglia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinothalamic_tract#Path_of_sensation) near the spinal cord.

Boreal
27-05-2013, 14:55
Imagine for one second that a space marine chapter was passing by and recruited him at the age of 8 and added all of their gene processing to his natural DNA talents!!.......

El_Machinae
27-05-2013, 15:18
He'd be bigger than the average, for sure! Just like so many side-kicks to Space Marine protagonists....

Disposable Hero
27-05-2013, 19:56
He would probably make the worst soldier in the world. That body uses at least 4000 calories a day?

On the other hand...

Mage
27-05-2013, 20:03
Imagine for one second that a space marine chapter was passing by and recruited him at the age of 8 and added all of their gene processing to his natural DNA talents!!.......

Yup, you got yourself Vulcan right there.

Deamon-forge
28-05-2013, 20:50
this is where i think we should invest in the super soldier. get all know great gene's size, mind, tactical etc and place into a single embryo and breed test tube soldiers only thing they know is war.

but on topic damn he is tall! and the size of his chest remind me of my younger days *aha wait that was a dream*

Chaos and Evil
29-05-2013, 08:22
In the real world, being 6'10 doesn't tend to make you a better solider. It makes you a better target.

fgsfds-
29-05-2013, 09:33
In the real world, being 6'10 doesn't tend to make you a better solider. It makes you a better target.
Could be, could be, but it also makes you a really scary sight to behold. If I was a soldier and saw a bunch of guys like him charging towards me I'd wet myself.
I suppose that's why I'm not a soldier.

Inquisitor Samos
30-05-2013, 03:37
A bunch of guys like him charging toward me would only be moderately worrying, if I were still a soldier and had my usual armaments to hand . . .

A bunch of guys like him charging toward me wearing powered armor suits that my usual armaments have almost no chance of penetrating, now THAT is scary! :skull:

budman
30-05-2013, 08:52

Well atthis time there is no law against it, in most parts of the world...

I have brought this up with a number of political parties in the UK, No one hadan answer.

Lothlanathorian
30-05-2013, 11:43

I have brought this up with a number of political parties in the UK, No one hadan answer.

Perhaps you should write in a color people can see?

On topic: How is him being a large black man anything similar to him being a Salamander beyond vague racism or vast misconceptions of the fluff? The Salamanders are black. As in the color, not 'of African decent'. Also, Space Marines with a functional whatsit implant are 'raceless' as their melatonin levels adapt swiftly to the radiation of whatever local star or whatever handwavium mixed with real science. They are super pale in the dark and dark-skinned in intense sunlight.

blackcherry
30-05-2013, 13:10
Perhaps you should write in a color people can see?

Whatever do you mean?

Lothlanathorian
30-05-2013, 14:32
Nothing to see here :shifty: hur hur hur

blackcherry
30-05-2013, 14:51
Really? Because I can see something. Bet you can't see this though.

Easy E
30-05-2013, 17:05
this is where i think we should invest in the super soldier. get all know great gene's size, mind, tactical etc and place into a single embryo and breed test tube soldiers only thing they know is war.

Yeah, like Serpentor. We all know how well that worked out!

El_Machinae
30-05-2013, 19:48

There's just no one to do the actual work. Funding the generation of transhuman organs is going to be somewhat ignored by both the charities and the governments. And then, there's no medical association that will allow a surgeon to install such an implant. That said, the entire science of organ regeneration (using stem cells) will be a necessary step and so it's a question of how fast we generate such technologies, mostly.

Lothlanathorian
30-05-2013, 21:13
Yeah, like Serpentor. We all know how well that worked out!

It worked out alright. And this, I COMMAND!

And IRL, transhumanism isn't going to come from vat-grown organs, it's going to be more technologically involved, I suspect. We're all going to be Robocop.

fgsfds-
30-05-2013, 21:25
And IRL, transhumanism isn't going to come from vat-grown organs, it's going to be more technologically involved, I suspect. We're all going to be Robocop.
This had me thinking about pacemakers. They have been around since 1958.
What a freakish device.
Anyway, if we're talking about prostheses technology might be the answer. Cyborg technology has already been experimented on people and apparently you can connect a robotic arm with the human nerves. But internal organs are so complex that I doubt there'll be any machines able to mimic them any time soon.

Lothlanathorian
30-05-2013, 22:10
You never know. Once science dedicates itself to something, we tend to end up with something fairly quickly. Heck, they just came up with something that will enable people to live without needing to breath, so, I'm pretty much expecting to have my mind blown again and again and again.

SharpSilver
30-05-2013, 22:35
What a beast.

blackcherry
31-05-2013, 07:40
This had me thinking about pacemakers. They have been around since 1958.
What a freakish device.
Anyway, if we're talking about prostheses technology might be the answer. Cyborg technology has already been experimented on people and apparently you can connect a robotic arm with the human nerves. But internal organs are so complex that I doubt there'll be any machines able to mimic them any time soon.

You mean like the artificial hearts and eyes that have been tested over the past few years? ;)

In all seriousness though, I can imagine that its easy to make sonething that replicates the effect of an internal organ. I see the challenges lie in getting it down to the size of the organ that it is replacing and tricking the body into accepting the replacement long term.

El_Machinae
31-05-2013, 21:00

I think it'll be column A and column B, and scenario-specific. All of the transhuman tech is going to leapfrog off of the medical R&D, and for any specific serious ailment, there's going to be either a cybernetic, pharmaceutical, or biological implant that comes to the surface as the most useful. The transhuman technology will then build upon that winner. But it's the medical R&D that's going to lay all the groundwork

Lothlanathorian
01-06-2013, 14:49
We're still in Random Musings, DC, you're jumping the gun, there :shifty:

Cpl. Calvin
02-06-2013, 02:01
Implants and pharmaceuticals aside, I tend to look at what natural genetics is capable of by random chance, etc. I look at 6'5"+ 340lbs football players that can run and move the way they do. Our 7' 405lb friend here is just a super version of that. I also see some players tear up knees and some that never do. I see some guys heal faster than others, and some play to nearly 40 years old - a 20 year or so career. So natural genetics can get something on the order of what a space marine is, briefly of course. Normal humans still get old and their skills and abilities fade.

I imagine a what-if like this: what if we could identify what genes make some of these men exhibit these traits vs. those that don't? What is we could isolate and superimpose those traits on a good host? What if we could enhance those traits beyond their purely natural degree? What if we pushed size to 7' - 450 lb., speed to a 4.0 sec 40 yd dash, pushed durability so that they never pulled a muscle or tore a ligament, and pushed their useful career to a couple hundred years? I feel like I can imagine that. Then we add in some implants, hypnotherapy, and some pharmaceuticals. We have beaten around it but if I add all this up, do I not get something like a space marine with technologies that are all fairly well understood? I know, I know, understanding the bits and pieces a little is not the same as putting it all together, but by point is it is not crazy! The fundamental concepts are not that far fetched.

For me, that inspires the hobby and makes it that much more interesting and fun.

intercepta
03-06-2013, 23:11
Can he-

Can't marines eat any part of someone to gather knowledge?

God DAMN he is a big big man and it would be SOO cool to finally get some power armoured guys running around, at some point a mans life will be worth more then the 10-50bill it would cost to develop it and then we will have our cool marines!

That said I don't THINK 6 foot 10 and 30 stone is that impressive, an average rugby player (what I have to use to compare this with, what I know) is around 6foot 5 (195cm) and 16 stone (or 230lbs or 104kgs) but don't American Football players need less endurance and more burst speed/power? (this IS a genuine question!!). Rugby players can't be that big because we need to be agile, fast on our feet, able to get beaten down then jump up again for 80minutes. BTW I am a rugby player and have no idea about american football other then its much more popular in the USA then in the UK and that they have 2 different teams, one for offence and one for defence.

El_Machinae
04-06-2013, 10:48
I think I'll be happy when we can scan someone's brain and get some knowledge.