PDA

View Full Version : Casting DD spells while in combat, and Ring of Khaine triggering attribute?

mishari26
26-05-2013, 03:44
Hi, so its in the title really:

1- Can a caster cast a direct damage spell like Fiery Invocation on a unit within his front arc while he's in combat? And is his arc considered from his model or his unit?

2- Would using Soul Quench on Ring of Khaine trigger a +1 ward save to the unit from where it was cast?

Ramius4
26-05-2013, 03:51
No, you may not target units in close combat with anything other than hexes or augment spells. Page 31 of the rulebook tells all about targeting restrictions with spells. It's really clear.

Zoolander
26-05-2013, 04:05
No, you may not target units in close combat with anything other than hexes or augment spells. Page 31 of the rulebook tells all about targeting restrictions with spells. It's really clear.

He didn't say the target was in combat, just the mage. So, yes, you can target units while you are in combat as long as A) they are not in combat, and B) are within range. DD spells require no LOS, so that makes that scenario much more likely. The lore attribute does work with items, AFAIK. There is no mention of it not working with items in the BRB, so I'd say yes.

Ramius4
26-05-2013, 04:11
He didn't say the target was in combat, just the mage.

Ah, in that case. Yes and yes. Lore attributes do apply to bound spells.

sigmarus
26-05-2013, 20:07
I disagree. It states quite clearly on Page 31 of the rulebook "Magic missiles cannot be cast if the wizard (or the unit his is with) is engaged in close combat.

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2013, 20:20
1- Can a caster cast a direct damage spell like Fiery Invocation on a unit within his front arc while he's in combat? And is his arc considered from his model or his unit?
Yes, the limitation is that the target not be in close combat.
His arc of sight is the models arc, you never use the units arc.

2- Would using Soul Quench on Ring of Khaine trigger a +1 ward save to the unit from where it was cast?
You can't cast that while in combat, as it's a magic missile.
The lore attribute is part of the bound items effect, so happens when the spell is cast.

So you're free to use it when not in combat (or at a target that is itself not in combat) and the lore attribute triggers.

mishari26
27-05-2013, 05:36
Thank you all. that's what I thought.

and sorry if I confused any of you. I do realize that Soul Quench is a magic missile and can not be cast while the mage is in combat.

I was just making sure that DD spells like Fiery Invocation can be cast while the mage is combat, and you guys confirmed that it's ok. good enough for me!

bigbiggles
27-05-2013, 06:34
Yeah, one of the many reasons why I like direct damage spells way more then magic missiles

gorblud
27-05-2013, 09:51

hexes, augment and vortex spells

T10
27-05-2013, 10:06

Well, there are more spells than just Augment and Hex spells that can be cast into close combat.

The general rule is that a spell cannot be cast into close combat.
The spell type may grant an exception to this: Magic Missiles and Direct Damage spells are not exempt, Augment, Hex and Vortex spells are.
The spell description itself may state that the spell may be cast into close combat.

-T10

bigbiggles
27-05-2013, 17:18
Guys, he wants to know what type of spells he can cast from cc. And that should be all but magic missiles

Rake
31-05-2013, 12:22
Question: Where does it say that Bound Items give the lore bonus?

RejjeN
31-05-2013, 15:42
Would you argue that the Empire magic item that rolls up a random lore spell as it's bound spell would not work if it ended up with Gehenna's Golden Hounds or the Metal signature? Because the Lore Attribute is pretty important for those two spells :P

theunwantedbeing
31-05-2013, 16:28

The lore attribute is part of the spell.

diggerydoom
01-06-2013, 13:12
Because of the true line of sight rules could a wizard in combat not cast a magic missile if he can see an enemy unit that is not in combat? There doesn't appear to be anything against this (unless i've missed an FAQ).

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2013, 13:41
Because of the true line of sight rules could a wizard in combat not cast a magic missile if he can see an enemy unit that is not in combat? There doesn't appear to be anything against this (unless i've missed an FAQ).

Magical missiles cannot be cast if the wizard(or the unit they are with) are in combat.
Same as how units with missile weapons can't shoot, even if some of the unit isn't actually fighting and have line of sight to viable targets.

diggerydoom
02-06-2013, 13:21
Apologies, you are correct. It even explicitly mentions it in the main rules....