PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Troll Tactics

spaghettyhoop
26-05-2013, 13:01
Hello all!

I have an all Goblin army for fantasy, that includes a bunch of river trolls. And im fed up of them just ambling forwards due to stupidity.

Whats the best way to run them? I dont play competetive games, just fun games, so arent fussed about tourny tactics or anything, id just like them to make combat once in a while!

What ive usually done is try and keep them within 12 inch of my general and BSB. But as you can appreciate this is hard to maintain. And in the last game it was the deployment where you decide area ona d6 and they ended up on the other side of the table and didnt pass a single test all game!

Ive considered sticking a goblin big boss in them, but this only boosts their ld to 6 or 7, and is pretty much a free kill to the first combat they make.

I cant think of anything else I can do. So other than dropping them or just hoping for the best, is their any other tactics I could use?

snottlebocket
26-05-2013, 14:29
Goblin characters are cheap and plentiful. I usually keep both the general and the bsb in a bunker block of goblins behind the trolls. That way they're always in leadership range and the important characters have a pretty solid protector in front of them.

Both the characters and units are cheap enough that you can put plenty of combat heroes in other units.

spaghettyhoop
26-05-2013, 14:31
Aye I suppose. I never thought of sticking my warboss somewhere I dont intend him to get into combat. I tended to tool him up and stick him in my spear horde of NG, then the BSB behind in a bunker of NG archers!

Thats might work! I may have to try this tonight :)

snottlebocket
26-05-2013, 14:53
Aye I suppose. I never thought of sticking my warboss somewhere I dont intend him to get into combat. I tended to tool him up and stick him in my spear horde of NG, then the BSB behind in a bunker of NG archers!

Thats might work! I may have to try this tonight :)

For combat, goblin heroes are better than lords. A naked (shudder) goblin boss with a great weapon costs some 35 or so points. You can get three or four of those for the price of one tooled up goblin lord. That's 9 wounds, 9 attacks and three separate targets / challenges instead of one. I add a liberal smattering of goblin bosses to any block of goblins I actually intend to get into combat with.

That goblin lord only stands out in one area, his leadership. So let him lead from a suitably cowardly and safe place.