PDA

View Full Version : Outside the empire?

TheBearminator
28-05-2013, 08:09
In a thread I read recently someone suggested the introduction of a new imperial army. I can't help but wonder, aren't there any human factions that still has by joined the empire? Wouldn't that be a more interesting element to add to the game?

At least I think thats what I've been missing. I started my second imperial army last year (using death korps models). I had to come up with my own fluff as I couldn't find an IG regiment that seemed to be made up from critically thinking individuals. Same with space marines. All indoctrinated to the bone.

Or am I wrong here? Are there any self-governing or at least more egocentric and self reflecting regiments in the empire? The fluff I came up with was that of a good guys army, in the sense that it's a non-sacrificial army. No one left behind if you will. I miss that kind of thinking in the empire.

Now is there a faction outside the empire that I could identify with? I'd just have to remove the Aquilas on their helmets and I'd be ready to break off from the empire. :)

agurus1
28-05-2013, 09:01
ever read a Guant's Ghost's book? ;) but to be honest yes there are always going to be regiments that are more about tactics, brains over bodies, and innovative thinking as opposed to the rigidly indoctrinated units that try to choke the enemy guns with bodies (simply marching into enemy fire because their commissar told them to do it "For the Emperor!")

Some standout and easily researched examples of this would be Catachans, Tanith 1st, any Cadian units under the direct command of Creed, and I would say Elysian Drop Troops

Fagerlund
28-05-2013, 09:49
Or am I wrong here? Are there any self-governing or at least more egocentric and self reflecting regiments in the empire?

Yeah, but they're called renegades. The Imperium doesn't really approve of free thinking and such. "An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred".

ehlijen
28-05-2013, 10:57
We already have humans with varying flavours of basic 40k tech (IG), humans with 40k super tech (Marines, including genetic upgrades), in between humans (sisters of battle), traitor humans serving chaos and the rival upstart faction with all different tech (Tau). There aren't many niches you could fill with yet another human faction that wouldn't be the 'horribly outmatched because they were stuck in isolation so long' niche.

If all you want is to do count as with an existing codex, go for it and make something up. The 40k universe is deliberately vague enough to allow that very thing :)

El_Machinae
28-05-2013, 11:48
It entirely matters how the promotion scheme is done in the regiment. Are clever and conscientious men promoted? Or hard-nosed men who obey orders in a completely reliable way? After that, it's a function of the charisma of the officers who then influence the commissars to "be reasonable, and think of the larger picture"

TheBearminator
28-05-2013, 12:25
It entirely matters how the promotion scheme is done in the regiment. Are clever and conscientious men promoted? Or hard-nosed men who obey orders in a completely reliable way? After that, it's a function of the charisma of the officers who then influence the commissars to "be reasonable, and think of the larger picture"

That immediately raises another question of mine! When are we gonna see female imperial soldiers, that are not part of the game just because of their gender. SISTERS off battle, come on. Was that the best they could come ut with? Clearly there aren't many women working for GW (and not many female players for that matter) .

"In the nightmare*future*of the forty-first millennium, mankind teeters upon the*brink of extinction." And why? Cause there is no reproduction. All men waste their lives on the 4'x6' battlefield, while their women die from sheer boredom.

Sorry for getting off track again. Just think this mistake by GW is unforgivable. Are eldar the only race who don't disqualify soldiers due to their sex? "Have you got a penis? Good, you can fight with us." In my non imperial human army there won't be such an distinction. :)

Edit: Sorry for my language. Sometimes Swiftkey makes writing a lot more difficult than it should be. Especially when it changes words all together. Like distinction - extinction. ;)

Kakapo42
28-05-2013, 13:09
That immediately raises another question of mine! When are we gonna see female imperial soldiers, that are not part of the game just because of their gender. SISTERS off battle, come on. Was that the best they could come ut with? Clearly there aren't many women working for GW (and not many female players for that matter) .

"In the nightmare*future*of the forty-first millennium, mankind teeters upon the*brink of extinction." And why? Cause there is no reproduction. All men waste their lives on the 4'x6' battlefield, while their women die from sheer boredom.

Sorry for getting off track again. Just think this mistake by GW is unforgivable. Are eldar the only race who don't disqualify soldiers due to their sex? "Have you got a penis? Good, you can fight with us." In my non imperial human army there won't be such an distinction. :)

Edit: Sorry for my language. Sometimes Swiftkey makes writing a lot more difficult than it should be. Especially when it changes words all together. Like distinction - extinction. ;)

The Tau don't disqualify them either, it's just a lot harder to tell because there's very little dimorphism between male and female Tau and Tau armour is one-size-fits-all.

Incidentally, there ARE female Imperial soldiers. They feature in a fair chunk of background (in fact the main IG character in the Space Marine video game is female if I recall). There's just very few female models in the GW range, and I don't think that's any intentional sexism on GW's part, probably more simple negligence. If it really bothers you you can always convert some I suppose.

Of course, there are also perfectly good female soldier models in the Last Chancers set and Necromunda Escher gang miniatures, so one could easily get them in that way. Oh wait...

Theocracity
28-05-2013, 14:48
I think I read somewhere that women make up a lot of the tank and other vehicle crews. Which is a nice way to explain how they're supposed to be as common as men without going through the trouble of making the models :p. They really should get on that.

TheBearminator
28-05-2013, 15:00
I think I read somewhere that women make up a lot of the tank and other vehicle crews. Which is a nice way to explain how they're supposed to be as common as men without going through the trouble of making the models :p. They really should get on that.

Except all the sentinel riders, tank commanders and gunners who just happen to be all male. Not really impressed by that excuse but it was a good laugh. ;)

Theocracity
28-05-2013, 15:14
Except all the sentinel riders, tank commanders and gunners who just happen to be all male. Not really impressed by that excuse but it was a good laugh. ;)

Basically, yeah.

Blempoll
28-05-2013, 16:24
Yeah, but they're called renegades. The Imperium doesn't really approve of free thinking and such. "An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred".

"..and unguarded"

sorry couldn't help finishing the quote.

And Bearinator.. The Valhallans are comprised of a female regiment

EDIT: How do you know all the tank commanders, gunners or crews are male? Butch women don't exist? Just because they don't but tits on the model, doesn't exclude them from being female.

El_Machinae
28-05-2013, 17:31
That immediately raises another question of mine!

I totally noticed that I'd said "men" when I should've said "soldier". Models-wise, you're correct. In the fluff, though, women are fairly well represented as far as I can tell. There are frequently female soldiers and combatants, no?

TheBearminator
28-05-2013, 21:13
"..and unguarded"

sorry couldn't help finishing the quote.

And Bearinator.. The Valhallans are comprised of a female regiment

EDIT: How do you know all the tank commanders, gunners or crews are male? Butch women don't exist? Just because they don't but tits on the model, doesn't exclude them from being female.

Of course they exist. But should I assume then all female soldiers are butch and therefor can't be identified?

El_Machinae: Sorry mate. Honestly didn't mean no offence. Just a thing I've been thinking much about lately. Couldn't help but bring it up.

The Orange
29-05-2013, 04:55
Now is there a faction outside the empire that I could identify with? I'd just have to remove the Aquilas on their helmets and I'd be ready to break off from the empire. :)

Without a doubt there are worlds unknown of forgotten by the Imperium. So you could easily go with a rouge human army. However their empire would be so insignificant that it wouldn't warrant a whole new army book, etc. For example, the Imperium has come into contact with, and then destroyed several xenos empires during their expansions, etc. etc., but then we have the Tau, why are they different? because they weren't some small fry xenos stuck on one mud ball. They were a technologically advanced species, that's rapidly expanding their empire, helped by the fact that instead of trying to wipe out and replace every other xenos they meet, they instead try to add them to their empire. If the Imperium came across the Kroot Empire, they would have snuffed them out, but now it's the Tau+Kroot+Vespids+god-emperor knows what else.

El_Machinae
29-05-2013, 16:52
El_Machinae: Sorry mate. Honestly didn't mean no offence. Just a thing I've been thinking much about lately. Couldn't help but bring it up.

Naw, it's good. No offense taken (never even occurred to me to be offended!). Plus, it crossed my mind when typing my post as well.

Coldhatred
29-05-2013, 21:30
I'd much rather see the introduction of another Xenos race. Something that actually seems alien instead of just being different build of humanoid with different culture/technology level.