PDA

View Full Version : Khaine's Ring of Fury / BoH

sigmarus
30-05-2013, 15:19
So I keep reading High Elf lists, and the Khaine's ring of fury is always on a noble or second mage. I rarely ever see it on an archmage. Obviously people like it because if it goes off, your unit gets a 6+ ward from the lore's passive. But normally I take an archmage, 4, book of hoeth, khaine's ring of fury, and a maybe another item. The reason I do this is so that I can use one dice to cast from the ring's bound spell, and if I roll a 1-2, I can re-roll using the book of hoeth. Has anyone else thought of this? Thoughts?

AntaresCD
30-05-2013, 16:18
You can't use the Book to reroll a PD used in casting a Bound Spell. Bound Spells use PD but gain no modifiers or other abilites from the person doing it; it's the item at work. See page 37 of the BRB.

Djekar
30-05-2013, 17:23
Interesting - most places I've played allow the Sacrificial Dagger (Dark Elves) to be used to add dice to casting a bound spell. While I don't have the books open in front of me at the moment, this seems like the same issue.

I believe the reason that people don't but anything with the BoH is because they want the space to slap that 4+ ward as well, meaning that it's nice and easy to get to a 3++.

sigmarus
30-05-2013, 17:40
I see no reason why you cannot combine the two item's abilities. IMO, a "casting modifier" is anything that affects the number from the dice roll (aka +4 from a level 4 mage, or an item that gives +1 to casting attempts). I do not think that the re-roll effect from the book of hoeth is a "casting modifier".

Forsworn
30-05-2013, 19:19
I feel like it's better to put it on someone else. The big idea is really to just use that one last Power Dice to buff up a Ward Save (like, say, Phoenix Guard) thanks to the attribute. Put it on a BSB with the Guard and you got yourself a nice 3+ Ward Save unit (Plus, your character essentially becomes 2+/AS/WS). I agree with the rest of the people that it's probably better to just get the 4+ Ward Save on the Archmage.

Rake
31-05-2013, 12:48
Where does it say the bound spells get the lore attribute? Dont have the book with me, but dont like the looks of that at all. Can't argue if its legit though.

Zoolander
01-06-2013, 05:59
I see no reason why you cannot combine the two item's abilities. IMO, a "casting modifier" is anything that affects the number from the dice roll (aka +4 from a level 4 mage, or an item that gives +1 to casting attempts). I do not think that the re-roll effect from the book of hoeth is a "casting modifier".

Because characters are not using their own abilities to cast the item, the item works on it's own power. Therefore, you can not use the book of hoeth or the the dagger when using bound items.

Where does it say the bound spells get the lore attribute? Dont have the book with me, but dont like the looks of that at all. Can't argue if its legit though.

The BRB does not mention bound items NOT receiving these benefits, therefore it is generally assumed that they do. Generally, some attributes do not come into play very often, but it does with High Magic and Khaine's Ring of Fury, and it is very vital to certain lores such as the lore of Metal. It'd be ridiculous to argue a bound item of Metal Lore can no longer do wounds as the attribute is not applicable.

Freenut
02-06-2013, 15:39

From the current Warhammer Fantasy FAQ on page 7:

Q: If a bound spell is from a Lore of Magic with a lore attribute,
will the successful casting of the bound spell also trigger the lore
attribute? (p37)
A: Yes. It is worth noting that some lore attributes effects targets the
Wizard casting the spell. In the case of Bound Spells it will target
whoever is casting the spell instead.