PDA

View Full Version : The Runefang for the Empire, Yay or Nay?

Forsworn
31-05-2013, 05:23
I am curious what the opinion is on using the Runefang. Thought it could go on an Empire General. Get him a 1+ Armor Save (Mount, Barding, Shield, Full Plate), and give him the Opal Amulet. This makes him 1+, with a 4++ against the first wound caused. Obviously, he would be accompanied by a Lvl 4 Life Wizard (hopefully with Throne and Earthblood).

I know it's kind of gimmicky, but I think the Runefang is badass.

Rakariel
31-05-2013, 07:48
I might be wrong but isn`t the runefang too many points to include other magic gear (opal amulet)? If thats the case I guess it would be the reason you dont see it as much in lists as you cannot give your character enough protection.

Count Zero
31-05-2013, 07:52
the Runefang came down in points so you have some spare for protection now.

I've run it on a TGM vs TK's before to good effect. great at chopping up constructs :)
Also the TGM has an extra attack over the general.

Spiney Norman
31-05-2013, 08:04
I am curious what the opinion is on using the Runefang. Thought it could go on an Empire General. Get him a 1+ Armor Save (Mount, Barding, Shield, Full Plate), and give him the Opal Amulet. This makes him 1+, with a 4++ against the first wound caused. Obviously, he would be accompanied by a Lvl 4 Life Wizard (hopefully with Throne and Earthblood).

I know it's kind of gimmicky, but I think the Runefang is badass.

If you're wanting a character on a warhorse the Grandmaster is a better choice to hold the fang (now that he can), only give it to a General if you want to mount it on a griffon.

Wesser
31-05-2013, 08:06
My problem is that even if you run it on a Grand Master it's still just 4 attacks without multiple wounds or rerolls that does nothing against the ever more common ward saves or regeneration saves that even basic troops run around with.

You could be forgiven for feeling half-forced to take a War Altar to run beside him, though that will likely mean no lvl 4 wizard.

The worst problem though is that after paying the odd 250 pts for a Runefang Grand Master you realise that for about 100 more pts. you could get Karl Franz instead...

Lord Solar Plexus
31-05-2013, 11:17
It was quite en vogue for a while over on Warhammer-Empire. People usually gave the TGM the Other Trickster's Shard. Life's just one option among many - I hazily remember someone using Beasts for +3 attacks. Timewarp is also pretty nifty for this guy, as is Heaven, both for protection and potentially re-rolling 1's.

Rake
31-05-2013, 12:50
Only on the special chars. They both multiply the effect of the runefang somehow. Hellborg the Combar Resolution, KF the wounds. Its wasted at that many points on anything else IMHO.

kefkah
31-05-2013, 12:55
Its not that bad. Ive come up against it with my De lords and i dont like at all, its a pretty sweet item. If you think about it, it kills character like nothing. Odds are if your up against a 4 attack s6 guy, you wont die before striking back. If used with combat buff its extra sweet.

If your gearing up a killy character, take the runefang with the OTS or opal or whatever. Its way better then going s7 or something.

Lord Solar Plexus
02-06-2013, 11:04
How does KF multiply the wounds?

Vipoid
02-06-2013, 11:14
How does KF multiply the wounds?

I think he can have either a normal runefang, or he can pay ~25pts to upgrade it to one with multiple wounds (d3).

Spiney Norman
02-06-2013, 21:44
I think he can have either a normal runefang, or he can pay ~25pts to upgrade it to one with multiple wounds (d3).

If memory serves the 'upgraded one with multiple wounds (d3)' would in fact be the Ghal-Maraz, the hammer of Sigmar.

Ullis
02-06-2013, 22:03
If memory serves the 'upgraded one with multiple wounds (d3)' would in fact be the Ghal-Maraz, the hammer of Sigmar.

Yep, it's actually Ghal-Maraz. You are swapping out the Runefang for Skullsplitter.

Vipoid
03-06-2013, 08:02
Fair enough, but it's still a weapon that causes all hits to wound automatically, with no armour saves allowed.

Rake
03-06-2013, 09:18
Yeah, I meant Ghal Maraz.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-06-2013, 09:57
Both Helborg and KF are noticeably more expensive than a normal TGM though, and many people still have reservations about SC's in general. The TGM clocks in at somewhere around 250 points, which I think is completely fine for what you get. Sure, you need to be a bit careful about target selection and death snipes but then again being careful never hurts. There's certainly a lot of utility in this build, especially when we consider magic support.

abdulaapocolyps
03-06-2013, 10:25
I intend to run one with charmed shield, luck stone and potion of speed for challanges. I like the idea a lot but am currently running my mounted general with ring of Volans and the death snipe spell.its ace!

Forsworn
03-06-2013, 22:50
So would you guys say that at 2,500 points, a Life Wizard and a Runefang Grandmaster are a good combination?

Lord Solar Plexus
04-06-2013, 10:48
I certainly would. As a matter of fact, I would run three Lords:

GotE, FP, ench. shield, 5++ talisman (General)
L4, dispel scroll
TGM, FP, BWH, Runefang, OTS

619 points and your Ld 9 bubble isn't far away killing stuff on a flank!