PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry Combat (Monstrous)

Ealdwulf
31-05-2013, 22:44
So this past weekend a friend and I played our first Warhammer Fantasy games in a long time - we both had a blast. We're both pretty casual players and can generally come to an agreement on the wording of the rules.

However after a unit Demigryph Knights got the charge on a unit of Mournfangs we were a bit confused at the wording. I thought the riders and mounts get an attack, but then you only resolve wounds against only the rider?

This seems like a decidedly unfair advantage for the charging party, which is compounded by monstrous cav. Are we reading this wrong?

Anyways my Knights utterly destroyed the Mournfangs and I felt a bit bad since he was so stoked to field that unit. Can any of you vet clear this up?

theunwantedbeing
31-05-2013, 22:56
The rules are quite clear in the rulebook.
Page 83

I think you're missing the shared profile part of the rule.
So while attacks are effectively always against the rider(because he has the highest weaponskill), he does get to benefit from the mounts toughness & wounds.

kefkah
31-05-2013, 23:00
Hm, im a bit confused myself from your post.

This is how MC works. The whole part (mount and rider) is one model, and you use the highest Toughness value, so its T4, when striking to wound, and highest wound value, so its 3 wounds. Both parts, rider and mount, strike at their own attack value and use their own I,Ws etc. So its one model thats T4, have 3 wounds, and thats the part you strike against, going against the highest WS of the model.

Also charges dont get to strike first (might aswell throw it in there since this is your first game in a long time) anymore but its I value.

If you have two ranks, only the rider gets supporting attacks to a max of 3.

So summary, the mournfangs are one model with T4 and 3 wounds, same with Demigryphs, and they both get to attack using the same rules for combat (seperate I value, ws, s etc etc)

Hope it helps.

Ealdwulf
31-05-2013, 23:00
So in order kill the unit - rider and mount you have to score the total amount of wounds correct?

Ealdwulf
31-05-2013, 23:01
Hm, im a bit confused myself from your post.

This is how MC works. The whole part (mount and rider) is one model, and you use the highest Toughness value, so its T4, when striking to wound, and highest wound value, so its 3 wounds. Both parts, rider and mount, strike at their own attack value and use their own I,Ws etc. So its one model thats T4, have 3 wounds, and thats the part you strike against, going against the highest WS of the model.

Also charges dont get to strike first (might aswell throw it in there since this is your first game in a long time) anymore but its I value.

If you have two ranks, only the rider gets supporting attacks to a max of 3.

So summary, the mournfangs are one model with T4 and 3 wounds, same with Demigryphs, and they both get to attack using the same rules for combat (seperate I value, ws, s etc etc)

Hope it helps.

Awesome this definitely cleared things up. I was unaware as to the charging no longer dennotes first attack. Well you play and you learn! Much appreciated :)

RejjeN
01-06-2013, 00:27
Wouldn't have made a difference for this particular combat (as both the Knights and the Demigryphs have higher Initiative than the Mournfangs.), basic tip for your friend though, unless he can guarantee a charge with his Mournfangs he should NEVER engage Demigryphs with them, they are can-openers (Pretty much made for dealing with other MC units). Admittedly with 3 Sabretusks it shouldn't be hard to get in the way :P