PDA

View Full Version : Charging and 90 degree turn

TheGreenShogun
02-06-2013, 00:03
For the past three years and from looking at the diagrams showing how to turn while charging, I've always assumed that you can only do that 90 degree turn at the beginning of charging before doing the charging move.

But I've re-read the rules, it seems you can charge straight, then make up to 90 degree turn, and then charge more. I don't recall the rules saying you must do this 90 degree turn at the beginning of charging.

Does it mean I can charge straight ahead, say 5 inches, then make 90 degree turn, and charge another 5 inches ahead? That'll allow me to charge around the corner, or around my own unit.

If I'm missing something big, let me know.

Thanks.

kefkah
02-06-2013, 00:06
Yes, you have one 90 degree wheel to make during your charge, it dont have to be straight away.

SimaoSegunda
02-06-2013, 09:04
So long as you have line of sight, you can make the wheel at any point during the charge. Of course, the rule still applies that any wheel you make must maximise the number of models that are in base contact.

Saldiven
02-06-2013, 13:47
So long as you have line of sight, you can make the wheel at any point during the charge. Of course, the rule still applies that any wheel you make must maximise the number of models that are in base contact.

Additionally, you cannot use the wheel to attempt to contact the target unit in an arc outside of the arc the charging unit was in at the start of the charge move.

kefkah
02-06-2013, 16:19
Additionally, you cannot use the wheel to attempt to contact the target unit in an arc outside of the arc the charging unit was in at the start of the charge move.

Thats obvious, since you cant even declare a charge against something outside the arc in the first place.

thesoundofmusica
02-06-2013, 17:32
Thats obvious, since you cant even declare a charge against something outside the arc in the first place.

I think he means that you cant use your wheel to attack an enemy's flank unless it was a flank charge to begin with.

kefkah
02-06-2013, 18:04
my bad.... XD

Ardecay
07-06-2013, 12:47
adding onto this topic and something we have discussed frequently, what distance do you measure in a case like this (or generally even)?
we measure the largest distance you need to charge as the distance you need to roll in order to make the charge.
That correct or did we miss something?

Saldiven
07-06-2013, 12:51
adding onto this topic and something we have discussed frequently, what distance do you measure in a case like this (or generally even)?
we measure the largest distance you need to charge as the distance you need to roll in order to make the charge.
That correct or did we miss something?

You should measure the distance between the two closest points of the two units in question. As the BRB says, if you roll this value, it doesn't matter how far the unit ends up actually moving.

Ardecay
07-06-2013, 13:07
can you refer to where it states the closest point between the units?
would be nice to refer to when I am about to fail another charge in my next game :-)

Artiee
07-06-2013, 14:38
BRB page 6.

FatTrucker
07-06-2013, 20:20
Clear enough. Must have LoS to the target unit, distance is measured as the crow flies to determine if you can make contact. Allowed a wheel up to 90deg during your charge move plus a free wheel at the end to maximise B2B.

Ardecay
07-06-2013, 21:29
Wow, how could we have been missing that??? thanks a lot :eek: