PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus Engineers = Space Marines?

prowla
03-06-2013, 18:45
Was thinking about "movie moments that could be from 40k" and recalled the Engineers (alien guys) from movie Prometheus.

I recall Space Marines are supposed to be 7-8' tall, muscular with great strength, have thicker than usual bone structure, and according to some books their faces "show signs of gigantism because of their creation process" yet be handsome or almost so, according to some accounts. Also, some marines are said to inherit pale skin and black eyes due to their gene seed - at least Night Lords IIRC.

So, the Engineers in Prometheus are supposed to also be 7-8' tall and really strong, with somewhat strange faces. They even have a sort of Black Carapace going on.. I think it's a match :D

LordLucan
04-06-2013, 00:04
Actually, I think the Engineer is even bigger than what a space marine would be. It looked to be almost 9ft tall to me at one point.

But they do give off a space marine vibe.

Inquisitor Engel
04-06-2013, 04:07
Engineers have the build I would expect from a Space Marine, and possible the stunted but sharp facial features (Remembrancers in the Horus Heresy refer to them as vaguely 'equine') but as LordLucan said, Engineers are much taller, probably Primarch sized.

Hendarion
04-06-2013, 05:37
I find the facial features of Engineers rather blurred. No strong edges, everything is quite smooth. I think if you just look at the face, ignoring the missing hairs and the body, they look very androgynous. I'd imagine a Marine more edgy. And actually all drawings we have of Marines are edgy ;) The body-type though... well, it is a muscular giant. What is a Space Marine but a muscular giant? All the other enhanced stuff can't be seen anyway.

Worldeaters
04-06-2013, 15:11
I met Lawrence dallaglio a couple of years ago with some other rugby players and all I could think was "space marines"

Huge buggers

Inquisitor Engel
04-06-2013, 16:19
I find the facial features of Engineers rather blurred. No strong edges, everything is quite smooth.

Yeah, "sharp edges" wasn't the right wording. The Engineers have super DEFINED features, though smooth, which I think is very 'space-mariney.'

Konovalev
04-06-2013, 16:33
The Engineers just seem like scaled up humans. I always imagined a space marine would be poorly proportioned, almost grotesque compared to a human. Bascially, taller yes but also disturbingly stocky for their height. Engineers were clearly meant to mimic the "ideal" human form as presented by gods in Greek and other legends - After all(in universe), it was the Engineers who these gods and mythical figures are meant to represent.

Grndhog89
04-06-2013, 16:38
One objection I have to this comparison is how hard the Engineer lost to that alien. If it were an actual space marine........I think he'd have put the hurt on the alien rather than have gone down like a chump.

Menthak
04-06-2013, 19:25
Was thinking about "movie moments that could be from 40k" and recalled the Engineers (alien guys) from movie Prometheus.

I recall Space Marines are supposed to be 7-8' tall, muscular with great strength, have thicker than usual bone structure, and according to some books their faces "show signs of gigantism because of their creation process" yet be handsome or almost so, according to some accounts. Also, some marines are said to inherit pale skin and black eyes due to their gene seed - at least Night Lords IIRC.

So, the Engineers in Prometheus are supposed to also be 7-8' tall and really strong, with somewhat strange faces. They even have a sort of Black Carapace going on.. I think it's a match :D

Not that Warhammer can talk, but almost nothing in Prometheus was original... :shifty:

Konovalev
04-06-2013, 20:38
Not that Warhammer can talk, but almost nothing in Prometheus was original... :shifty:

You mean a movie, whose title is derivative of a prominent figure in a creation myth, wasn't original in its presentation of a creation myth? Color me surprised.

Menthak
04-06-2013, 20:39
You mean a movie, whose title is derivative of a prominent figure in a creation myth, wasn't original in its presentation of a creation myth? Color me surprised.

Not what I meant exactly, rather I meant that anything in that movie could be traced back to something similar in another game, film, book, or Tv show.

Konovalev
04-06-2013, 21:26
Not what I meant exactly, rather I meant that anything in that movie could be traced back to something similar in another game, film, book, or Tv show.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any game, film, book, or tv show from the last decade that had notably original plot points. I really can't think of any plot trope, 40k or otherwise, that didn't already exist in a book somewhere, and on the lips of some bard before that. And therein I believe it is revealed WHY media has evolved the way it has - that is, to engage the senses more and more vividly. So with its high definition, special effects, and pseudo-3D where applicable, films like Prometheus are about as original as they can be.

Menthak
05-06-2013, 00:06
I understand what you're saying, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any game, film, book, or tv show from the last decade that had notably original plot points. I really can't think of any plot trope, 40k or otherwise, that didn't already exist in a book somewhere, and on the lips of some bard before that. And therein I believe it is revealed WHY media has evolved the way it has - that is, to engage the senses more and more vividly. So with its high definition, special effects, and pseudo-3D where applicable, films like Prometheus are about as original as they can be.

If you considering cloning a **** and making it clearer and with better effects 'original' then I disagree with you.

But I understand, to be honest, the only original part of 40k is the universe it stole (acquired, changed, etc) and mashed together.

theunwantedbeing
05-06-2013, 00:28
Actually, I think the Engineer is even bigger than what a space marine would be. It looked to be almost 9ft tall to me at one point.

He's about 7ft2 (2.16m).
Which about what a marine is supposed to be.