PDA

View Full Version : Banner of Swiftness and Characters

Vipoid
04-06-2013, 14:40
Let's say I have a unit of Skeletons with the Banner of Swiftness, and a Necromancer in that unit.

If I decide to split off the Necromancer, will he still benefit from the +1 movement in the turn he breaks off from the unit?

yeknoMehT
04-06-2013, 15:07
I'd say no. I seem to recall something in the FAQs (or maybe even the book?) about spell effects affecting characters in a unit, where they cease to be affected as soon as they leave the unit.

I guess it depends on how you sequence the event though - if it is a case of "leave unit so that you can make a move somewhere that the unit doesn't go with you" then you would lose the +1M, if it is "pick to move to this spot here, but only with the character, which means he has to leave the unit" then you would keep the +1M. The second one doesn't sound right to me.

theunwantedbeing
04-06-2013, 15:26
You'de cease to be affected by the banner the instant you left the unit.
So you may leave the unit mv5, but as soon as you have travelled that first inch...you're back to mv4 having already moved an inch.

Same deal with other effects like +1 attack, +1 strength..and so forth.
You lose them the instant you leave the unit (whether its from a banner or a spell).

gorblud
05-06-2013, 09:17
You get the +1 movement. You can't move 1", stop and then move again, you do the full move with all effects the units has. If the unit's movement has been halved, then the character would move at half movement aswell. Next turn however, you are att your normal movement

Metacarpi
05-06-2013, 09:30
You'de cease to be affected by the banner the instant you left the unit.
So you may leave the unit mv5, but as soon as you have travelled that first inch...you're back to mv4 having already moved an inch.

Same deal with other effects like +1 attack, +1 strength..and so forth.
You lose them the instant you leave the unit (whether its from a banner or a spell).

This is how I understand it to work as well.

RanaldLoec
05-06-2013, 13:37
Is the character moving with the standard bearer?

No

So how can he benefit from it.

kefkah
05-06-2013, 19:42
So..how do you say this affecting a character charing out of a unit with the +1M banner? Does he get the +1 or not?.

I would say yes, he does benefeit from it the turn the charges out/moves out. You declare the movment while he is in the unit, and then he has +1. He dosent stop charing 1 inch from and restart, and same with moving.

I dont see this as clearcut.

medevilmike
05-06-2013, 20:05
Im searching now, but im pretty sure a char would retain the +1m the turn he leave the unit.Especially in the case of the charge as you measure distance, and math up what u need before you roll to see if u make it.

I feel like I read that if a spell effects a unit the player who cast it can choose whether it stays with the unit or the char when a char leaves the unit...I definatly have to do a little searching and will try to get back to you guys asap.

Bam page 5 in the general faq, char retains any movement alteration til the end of turn.

as per my magic guessing, not sure yet. but the faq does say mages retain their spells when leaving units.

yeknoMehT
05-06-2013, 20:11
Well, if you get to use the +1 from the banner, by the same argument you could not move at a faster rate than the unit (eg a mounted character leaving a unit on foot) since they count as having the same (lower) movement allowance while they are part of the unit.

medevilmike
05-06-2013, 20:29
edited my post to reflect new info.

yeknoMehT
05-06-2013, 20:39
Aha FAQ wins!