PDA

View Full Version : Chaos marks and WYSIWYG

Worldeaters
05-06-2013, 23:27
I'll try and keep this short....

I know most people will say "it's your toys, do what you want" but this is for the more WYSIWYG crowd and also to keep things clearer for strangers (in tournaments etc), as my name would suggest, I play a khorne themed chaos army, but quite frankly I'm bored of this codex already so I fancied changing things up a bit and use some other marks. I have around 6000 pts of miniatures, everything is red and everything that isnt a khorne berzerker has been converted/kit bashed with zerker models so that everything that can has bunny ears.

So for example if I wanted to have a unit with mark of slaneesh, got a box of csm's, built them, put all the normal pads on one shoulder and got the pack of ten slaneesh ones from GW for the other one (the fact most of the csm ones have undivided on them is another wysiwyg concern for the really fussy I suppose, won't even get started on the fact that GW don't have any mark options in the daemon prince kit) then swapped the heads out for bunny helmets (although associated with khorne berzerkers, none of them have any khorne symbols on them) and painted them red to keep my armies theme running. Surely nobody can have problems with that?
Would you have any problems/complaints?
I've never had problems personally with things like proxying but the last thing I want to do is give someone a straw to clutch onto if they want to complain if they're getting ass handed to them.

Menthak
05-06-2013, 23:42
I'll try and keep this short....

I know most people will say "it's your toys, do what you want" but this is for the more WYSIWYG crowd and also to keep things clearer for strangers (in tournaments etc), as my name would suggest, I play a khorne themed chaos army, but quite frankly I'm bored of this codex already so I fancied changing things up a bit and use some other marks. I have around 6000 pts of miniatures, everything is red and everything that isnt a khorne berzerker has been converted/kit bashed with zerker models so that everything that can has bunny ears.

So for example if I wanted to have a unit with mark of slaneesh, got a box of csm's, built them, put all the normal pads on one shoulder and got the pack of ten slaneesh ones from GW for the other one (the fact most of the csm ones have undivided on them is another wysiwyg concern for the really fussy I suppose, won't even get started on the fact that GW don't have any mark options in the daemon prince kit) then swapped the heads out for bunny helmets (although associated with khorne berzerkers, none of them have any khorne symbols on them) and painted them red to keep my armies theme running. Surely nobody can have problems with that?
Would you have any problems/complaints?
I've never had problems personally with things like proxying but the last thing I want to do is give someone a straw to clutch onto if they want to complain if they're getting ass handed to them.

From a gaming perspective, I wouldn't give a damn, you've made it clear with shoulder pads.

From a fluff perspective I'm a bit iffy. But hey ho.

Worldeaters
05-06-2013, 23:59
Fluff perspective?
I could think of 101 reason why a psycho-surgically altered worshiper of khorne would have rage or be quicker (+1 I) or tougher (+1 T) have any special rule etc.. Hell mark of khorne for years was just +1 strength

Just don't want people who I don't play regular with using any excuse to complain.

Menthak
06-06-2013, 00:03
Fluff perspective?
I could think of 101 reason why a psycho-surgically altered worshiper of khorne would have rage or be quicker (+1 I) or tougher (+1 T) have any special rule etc.. Hell mark of khorne for years was just +1 strength

Just don't want people who I don't play regular with using any excuse to complain.

I think that's a fair explanation, and if you gave me that in store I'd give you a game or two.

What I actually meant by fluff perspective was seeing Space marine warriors, with a Slaanesh Shoulder, and Khorne helmet. But if it's just for identification go nuts, you seem like you've got it all worked out fairly

Lunk
06-06-2013, 03:17
I would make sure the Slaanesh symbol was painted in Slaanesh colors. Not the whole shoulder pad, but the symbol on the pad. I am doing a similar but different style with my Dark Wolves. My Blood Claws have fallen for Khorne and have appropriate bunny ears and Khorne decorations, while my grey hunters are chaos undivided. I only painted the bunny helmets red, rest is dark grey. All of the hunters are dark grey.

fgsfds-
06-06-2013, 04:07
Was I your opponent, I would appreciate it if you made it somehow very clear which ones are the ones with the mark of Slaanesh. Naming the group in the begining of the game is usually enough, but it would help your opponent if the models would look a bit different (the shoulder pads are really tiny so it's hard to tell by them). You can keep the red theme and all, but maybe you could give the Slaanesh ones some really distinguishable detail?

Calcabrina
06-06-2013, 04:17
Give your "alternatively marked" marines trophy racks with the helmets of their opponents that bear the squads actual mark. Like Emperor's Children heads on pikes for Slaanesh-marked units, Thousand Sons for Tzeentch, etc. That way it's obvious without breaking fluff.

That, or just don't play against losers that find more fun in complaining about the game than actually playing it.

Darnok
06-06-2013, 04:48
Another option - and an easy and very obvious one - would be to paint the base rims in colours according to the mark you choose. Pink for Slaanesh, green/brown for Nurgle, blue for Tzeentch - and the obvious red for Khorne. Anything without those colours is considered unmarked. From that point onwards all you have to worry about is the "correct" weapons.

THis solution works best if most of your army is unmarked and/or khornate, with only a few units with other marks. That way you can prevent confusions about wether a unit is marked CSM or cult troop.

Venerable Player
06-06-2013, 10:06
[...]
WYSIWYG

[...]

So for example [...]

Personally, I think this siuns like the most thoroughly exercised theme I've heard about in years. You have a single color scheme and still manage to have distinct, fluffy symbols that mark the difference.

Chapeau!

Might even copy that for my project (alterations included).

daveNYC
06-06-2013, 12:37
Just be ready to answer which squads are which multiple times during the game. If everything is red with bunny ears, even with shoulderpads or other markers, it's going to be confusing for someone not used to it.

Chapters Unwritten
06-06-2013, 14:16
You could do what I am doing.

I am currently using some spare fantasy bases to make squad indicators. I plan to put decals (or iconography, if I have enough) of the relevant god onto the base and put it with the squad in coherency on the table. I was going to do similar things for units with VotLW and Uber Grit.

kafrique
06-06-2013, 16:19
I'd say don't even use Slaanesh pads. Make them distinct, sure, but don't compromise your fluff if you want a Khorne warband with more options. As said, Khorne marines who are fast but less crazy isn't exactly an impossible situation.

Latro_
06-06-2013, 16:28
I wouldn't even change your models, the marks system has zero need for wysiwyg. If your entire army has the mark then whats the confusion....

If you vary it so they all look the same but all have different marks, print out 4 card markers and put them next to the unit :D

Dark eldar have pain tokens as normal which give units different buffs, its entirly possible to have 3 units of DE warriors all with different special rules, you woudlent stop mid game to give em a new paint job to represent the pain tokens :D

Rentacle Tape
06-06-2013, 16:35
Why not have the bases color-coded to represent marks of a particular god? This way, it allows you to really have your models look the way that you want, but still makes it very easy for folks to understand what they're dealing with in each particular squad- all without needing to closely inspect each squad before interacting with it.

'The guys on the cracked, purple mosaic bases, are favored by Slaanesh. And the red, lava-like bases are for those touched by Khorne.'

Worldeaters
06-06-2013, 20:30
Thanks people, been some sound sound advice, think ill either do something with regards to the bases and/or thought I might just end up making the squad the way I want using themed shoulder pads and then also make a second champion for the squad that will have the god specific head/helmet that comes with the csm box with the relevant god specific banner on his backpack then I can just whip them out if anybody has any issues with the bunny eared champ.
also remembered a squad of chosen I made a while back to look more like a command squad for my lord that I never got round to painting, figured two cc weapons would look like a nice fast/agile initiative 5 type geezer. As for the fella with the shield.... Maybe mark of nurgle for a bit of resilience at toughness 5 or even 4++ thousand suns?
what say you?

Sir_Turalyon
06-06-2013, 20:49
The actual mark of Chaos is a literal mark grown or branded on flesh of the recepient. Unless it grows on his face, it's concealed by the armour and can not represented by WYSIWYG. The thing the paint job / conversions represent is personalisation of armour, or squad markings, which may or may not show marine's allegiance.

A few bare-headed marines and champion with Slaanesh rune of branded or tatooed on the face should do the trick; the rest of the squad wears helmets and is presumed to have similar mark on their faces.

Also, remember that Slaanesh is good at converting/seducing Marines dedicated to other gods.

Lord Damocles
06-06-2013, 20:58
Stick some of the little Slaanesh symbols (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440213a&prodId=prod2020016) on bases, and put a base by each of the units which has the Mark.

Simples.

Worldeaters
08-06-2013, 14:59
Stick some of the little Slaanesh symbols (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440213a&prodId=prod2020016) on bases, and put a base by each of the units which has the Mark.

Simples.

Simple and clever, got a few symbols lying round from vehicle sprues aswell. Thanks!

Worldeaters
15-06-2013, 20:21
172412Apologies for the thread necro, just wanted to thank everybody for there input and to share what I decided to make today to represent marked units. Thanks.

dblaz3r
16-06-2013, 05:42
Nice idea mate, really liking the look of those.