PDA

View Full Version : Soul grinder base - width ways or long ways

IcedCrow
10-06-2013, 22:56
I did my soul grinder long ways as his ass hangs off a quarter of his body if you try to do it wide.

I was informed that this is wrong and he should be on the base width ways. This looks incredibly stupid this way. Pretty much every other monster on that base is put on long ways so it can fit.

Is there some kind of chart somewhere? Why would we put a model on a base in a way it doesnt fit?

Rakariel
10-06-2013, 23:31
I put mine (the FW Plague Hulk that is, but it shares the same lower body with the Soul Grinder) width ways and it fits. Its a close thing but it does work. The legs are movable so you can position them the right angle.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 00:20
Yeah i thought it went long ways and glued it as such. Yay

HereComesTomorrow
11-06-2013, 01:12
Well, the G-Dog website has it on a wide base.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1630127a

bigbiggles
11-06-2013, 03:39
Its width ways, looks odd but you get used to it

Urgat
11-06-2013, 07:48
But it makes sense no? It's wider than longer. It's not the first model to do that either, for instance Skarsnik.

Metacarpi
11-06-2013, 10:14
It fits nicely width ways, I can't imagine having mine the other way.

theunwantedbeing
11-06-2013, 10:33
Yeah i thought it went long ways and glued it as such. Yay

Can we see some pics of it please?

Evil Hypnotist
11-06-2013, 11:12
I'm in the latter stages of assembling my Plague Hulk for fantasy and was wondering what to do with the base. I agree, the Arachnarok doesn't seem big enough but that is it's official base size. My original plan was to use a 150mmx150mm wooden base and then measure where the 100mm depth ended and mark it with some subtle piece of scenery so my opponent can see where the base 'legally' ends. This gives the best of both worlds IMO.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 11:49
I have a (blurry) pic of my Soul Grinder in my PLOG (link in my sig), the instructions leaflet is quite clear for once, it should be mounted on the width of the "big monster" base (150x100 mm) ...

Mine is glued towards the back of the base to avoid smashing the front claws in enemy units when/if I charge with it, and the "****" of the models protrudes a little from the back of the base, 1 cm or so.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 12:13
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/6ybehe8y.jpg

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 13:06
Whoa IcedCrow, how did you build your Soul Grinder to have that much overhang ? Legs spread at the maximum ?

I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll try to take an eagle-eye view picture of my own Soul Grinder tonight ... must take a couple of better pictures anyway :p

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 13:11
I built it assuming it went long ways. Building it for side ways you have to pinch the legs together which imo looks stupid.

He has become a display piece only now which considering how much the model costs annoys me to no end.

He was built pretty much how I built my defiler. I didn't do anything crazy with it. The legs themselves are one piece and I just glued them in to the sockets and spread them a little to give it stability. To put him on the base width ways you have to model it so the legs are closer together, which doesn't look natural to me.

Rakariel
11-06-2013, 13:22
If you like I can upload a picture onto my painting blog later. The legs of my Plague Hulk are not closer together than yours tbh. I however glued the legs in a way that 2 of them, the right hindleg and the middle one on the left side are not touching the ground. They are lifted up to simulate motion that saves some space I guess.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 13:28
I went out and found a bunch of pictures yesterday showing how it is supposed to look, I'm just not a fan of it. Its a visual thing for me, combined with what I thought was non intuitive design (and assumptions on my part since I have not seen monsters placed width ways on the base before). Lately I'm finding a lot of things with the game that are not intuitive for me, so its just kind of stacking up all at once into a mountain of annoyance. No worries, I see my mistake and most of my irritation here comes from the fact that I threw money away and wasted time painting a model that I can't really use in a game without having to deal with game situations where his flank is now longer then it is supposed to be and on top of that he's also wider now (and for a model that only sports 4 attacks being as wide as a ranked up unit (so that he cannot have any real support in combat unless he's facing a horde 10 across) and costing over 350 points, I can't see why I'd want to use it now and that would have probably influenced my decision in getting it had I paid attention and saw he was supposed to be placed width-wise instead of length wise)

Rakariel
11-06-2013, 13:34
Yeah I understand where you are coming from.
The whole model was not designed for WHFB and it definitly shows at the base format. Maybe follow EHs example to custom build a base?

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 13:42
That would fix the model visually yes (I can always just obtain plasticard and extend the base back).

underscore
11-06-2013, 14:26
Why not just keep it separate from the base? Use the base for gaming purposes on the table (measurement, front arc etc) then just leave the model sitting over it for LOS. Once you're in combat just move the model out of the way (or as close to the combat as possible).

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 14:34
Because my OCD tweaks at the prospect of using an empty base in a game.

Also had I known (had I paid attention) that it was wide like that I never would have bought it and spent the time painting it in the first place. A 350 point model that is as wide as an infantry unit with only 4 attacks that gets to receive over 20 attacks back and can not be supported in combat since nothing else can fit with it does not fit into my battle plan.

My assumption that it was long ways failed me lol.

underscore
11-06-2013, 14:46
Oh sure, I mean you keep the model on the table, you just have the freedom to shift it around a bit on it's base as the situation demands.

(presuming you'd ever want to play with it now. :) )

theunwantedbeing
11-06-2013, 15:19
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/6ybehe8y.jpg

Seriously? :wtf:
Just move it forward and let the front claws overhang...maybe lift them up and out of the way of fouling enemy models.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 15:20
The model is glued like that. There is no way to move the claws or legs without busting them out of the main body and regluing it but as I used plastic glue... it melted in place.

I can move it forward and let the front claws overhand but then 1/4 of the model is still hanging off of the base, this time to the front, which is probably worse since then you can't get enemy models in contact with the base and there is a fudge factor of 1/4 the body.

Amazingly enough long ways it fits without any front or rear overhang and the side legs only hang off by a little bit.

HereComesTomorrow
11-06-2013, 15:20
I suppose you can just use it as a very expensive shooting unit? Soul Grinders aren't my favourite model or unit, so I've not payed much attention to them, also, he's a good cannonball catcher for a lord.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 15:23
I suppose you can just use it as a very expensive shooting unit? Soul Grinders aren't my favourite model or unit, so I've not payed much attention to them, also, he's a good cannonball catcher for a lord.

350 point stone thrower just doesn't seem worth it to me. Or a bolt thrower with BS 3. I could put it in front of my demon prince to screen him from cannons yes (assuming cannons aren't on a hill looking down).

It may be more worth my time to field another ranked unit though. Or some plague drones. Or a mix of a small unit and plague drones. They'd have more impact. But I'm derailing the thread now :D

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 15:36
Erm, how do you do to make it 350 points ? Mine tops at 320 ...

Anyway, I'm in the process of uploading better pictures of mine to my PLOG, but here's an aerial view of it : CLICKY ! (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/Lorcryst/media/PLOG/SGaerial_zps92834450.jpg.html)

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 15:50
Yeah the big thing is how I did the front claws. I did a themed base and had the claws coming up and over a ridge. I needed to push them out wide.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 16:01
Well, I built mine by dry-fitting the various sub-assemblies (legs, hull, torso, front legs) over the base before gluing them with Slather's plastic glue.

BTW that glue is a godsend, you apply it by brush, it's very thin so you can hold the pieces in place with one hand and slide your brush with glue on it between the pieces with the other hand ... dries in a couple of seconds, and like all plastic glues melts the pieces together ... BUT, and this is the clincher, you can re-apply that glue to the joints later, even after painting, and it will re-melt the plastic to allow re-positioning ... it will destroy the paint in the process tough :p

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 17:18
Appreciate the input :-)

Urgat
11-06-2013, 17:22
I'd be you, I'd still cut the whole thing away, and repair with greenstuff. Seems kindda silly to just put the whole thing aside because it was based wrong.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 17:46
Oops, I was wrong on the name of that glue : it's Slater's Mek Pak, cheapest I've found on the IntarTubez is here :eBay link (http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/120533256760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649).

I've discovered that glue in my local railroad modelling shop ... could not go back to another plastic glue now, it's THAT good !

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 18:11
I'd be you, I'd still cut the whole thing away, and repair with greenstuff. Seems kindda silly to just put the whole thing aside because it was based wrong.

Well its a combination of its based wrong, and I think that being that wide makes him relatively a large liability as its difficult to impossible to support him. His job is to support combat, not solo combat. He can't solo combat. And he can't fly so his movement is limited. For his price tag in points, its hard to justify. So double whamee.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 18:49
Well, yes, it's quite hard to do something meaningful in combat with a Soul Grinder ... that huge base size means if he's charging the front of an unit, he'll be alone ... and four attacks don't cut the mustard.

Could work on the flanks, combined with a front charge by something hitty, but mine hasn't survived that far yet :p (huuuuuge target, lots of juicy points).

I've tried the Warp Gaze (BS 3 kills it dead) and Baleful Torrent (must be really close, but not too close) shooting options, with abysmal results ... I have yet to try the Phlegm Bombardment option tough, might work ...

I don't really agree on the movement part tough, with M8, it's one of the fastest things in my Nurgle list, the only thing quicker being the Plague Drones ... and those can't march, so the 16 inches move down a flank to try a position myself for a flank charge is good, in my humble opinion ...

Sorry, I'm thread-derailling :p

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 18:54
As a flanker yes he has uses i suppose. Ill have to think about it.

Rakariel
11-06-2013, 19:01
I would actually use him as a counter to MCav like Demis or somesuch. He has a respectable toughness, some wounds and if you play him in synergy with shadow to lower the initiative you can try to nearly autokill one (e.g.) demi with the claw attack that hits automatically with S10 and D6 wounds after a failed initiative test. Even without that I guess its better than to go against massed infantry.

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 19:24
I run a nurgle list. I don't use shadow magic... I use nurgle magic mostly and sometimes death. His role would change from general support to specialized support (that's the part I'm not a fan of... ) though I can see him pounding up a flank would have some psychological effect on some players (though smart players would lol) and it could be used to pin something in the flank for a turn before they combat reformed on him and killed him via static CR.

He would be good against things like monster cav as you noted or against ogres or things with low init.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 19:32
As a monster hunter too, those tend to have a low Initiative, and the Daemonbone Claw works wonder against them (auto-hit, wound on 2, -7 to armour saves, D6 wounds).

I've killed a Chaos Chariot like that, my opponent rolled a 6 for his init test, grabbed, CRUSHED :p

Rakariel
11-06-2013, 19:38
Ahh alright. When I play Daemons I mostly play Slaanesh or a Slaanesh/Nugle list. You`re right tho, Soulgrinders are not too shabby, but there is far better (and cheaper) stuff out there in other armies. But then again hes quite good at already mentioned monster and MCav hunting and for soaking up cannon balls. Oh what cheerful existence ;)

IcedCrow
11-06-2013, 20:13
heh yeah. Go out there and eat the cannonballs Bill. Go forth.

Lorcryst
11-06-2013, 20:41
Well, in my Nurgle army, with his armour save, 5+ ward and T7, he's quite durable.

Keep in mind that the shooting options don't replace the Harvester Cannon, they are on top of it ... so it could very well have two shooting modes.

Being two times bigger than my GUO or DP helps too, but it's quite the tax to pay 250 points plus options to screen my Lords ...

Rakariel
11-06-2013, 21:15
Poor old Bill, he didnt see it coming.... :D

HereComesTomorrow
11-06-2013, 23:46
I'm actually interested in this monster hunting thing. I'd dismissed the claw thing at first.

Don't have any books on me kright now, but can it be used on Screaming Bells, Mortis Engines etc?

theunwantedbeing
11-06-2013, 23:51
Don't have any books on me kright now, but can it be used on Screaming Bells, Mortis Engines etc?

It works on any model.
Caught by the Iron Claw targets a single model in base contact
Daemonbane Claw swaps your attacks for a single uber attack

IcedCrow
12-06-2013, 00:12
Its essentially a melee cannonball. If you catch the target in the claw all attacks auto hit.