PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt high elves

outbreak
10-06-2013, 23:46
Hey this is my first list from the new book, I don't have any of the new models yet so it doesn't have any of the new toys. How does it look?

LORDS:
archmage
lvl 4
talisman of preservation

HEROES:
noble
bsb
armour of caledor

mage
lvl 2
dispel scroll

CORE:
25 spearmen
musician and standard

12 archers
musician

12 archers
musician

5 reavers
musician

5 reavers
musician

SPECIAL:
5 dragon princes
musician and standard

14 sword masters
musician and standard
banner of eternal flame

14 sword masters
musician and standard

RARE:
1 bolt thrower

2 great eagles

TOTAL:1999

How's that look? I'm not sure on how high elves should be run in the new book so it still is similar to an old style list. Do swordmasters still work at 14 strong?

thrawn
11-06-2013, 01:04
depending on what you want from your sword masters, 14 is not enough for a solid block, over kill for small missile units.

take the book of hoeth, it's too good to pass up. oh ya, and take the banner of the world dragon, it's also too good to pass up.

outbreak
19-06-2013, 00:30
re worked the list, just to clarify the book of hoeth lets you reroll 1 dice every casting and dispel attempt or is it once per game?

LORDS:
archmage
lvl 4
book of hoeth
talisman of preservation

HEROES:
mage
lvl 2
dispel scroll

noble
bsb
lion cloak
armour of destiny

CORE:
35 spearmen
music and standard
banner of swiftness

12 archers
music
light armour

12 archers
music
light armour

5 reavers
music and bows

SPECIAL:
5 dragon princes
music and standard
banner of eternal flame

24 swordmasters
music and standard
banner of the world dragon

RARE:
2 great eagles

TOTAL: 2000

I feel that list looks better, I had originally thought I only had 25 spearmen for some reason instead of 35. Remember I am basing this off an army I made a couple months before the new book came out but never got around to playing with. Bought them mainly because I wanted to paint them up as a holiday project using the island of blood sets as I had some models already, so I don't have any new toys or white lions yet.
Also would I be better off putting banner of the world dragon on my bsb and leaving the sword masters with no banner, this would free up points for the book of hoeth and allow me to use the banner in my spearmen with my archmage to allow him protection from miscasts?

Yowzo
19-06-2013, 11:52
Book of hoeth works at every casting and dispel attempt.

Careful with miscasts, though!

Zwink
22-06-2013, 10:33
why would you give dragon princes the banner of eternal flame. the new fireborn rule (on dragon armour) already gives them flaming attacks!
secondly, im not a big fan of small groups of archers now, since you can always shoot in ranks of 3. 21 = 3x7 solid block.

in this comp, you might want to try out the loremaster instead of the archmage. its only a fwe more points. and the loremaster is really fun to play with.
a lore master and a level 2 mage is enough magic for any army i suppose.

i personally would ALWAYS take Ironcurse Icon when playing with swordmasters. 5pts just in case you meet a warmachine.

im not sure if BOTWD protect against miscasts tbh...

Spells, Magic Weapons and Magical Attacks (not magical effects)

Kahadras
24-06-2013, 07:37
why would you give dragon princes the banner of eternal flame. the new fireborn rule (on dragon armour) already gives them flaming attacks!

The fireborn rule doesn't give you flaming attacks.

As to the list...

Archmage looks OK. What Lore are you going to run as it can effect what items you should take with him.

Mage looks OK (what Lore)

BSB is too expencive. Give him Dragon armour and the Enchanted shield. You get a 3+ armour save, a 6+ ward save, fireborn and save nearly 40 points.

Spearmen I've never really used. I prefer Lothern Seaguard as they can bunker magic users and still use their bows to damage enemy units. Banner of Swiftness would probably be better on the Dragon Princes or Swordmasters.

Archers are fine and are a good opening drop for the army but I wouldn't bother with light armour. A 6+ save just isn't worth it IMHO and it saves you 24 points.

Reavers are great. There's nothing wrong with them at all.

Dragon Princes are good. I'd think about dropping the Banner of Eternal Flame to save some more points.

Swordmasters are OK. Personaly I think BotWD is overrated except in specific kinds of High Elf build or against certain armies (DoC, WoC ensorcelled Skullcrusher spam, VC dual Terrorgheist blender Vampire etc). I'd drop the banner and save the points to go elsewhere.

Great Eagles are good rare choices so I'd keep them in as well.

Overall the list looks pretty well balanced and should do OK IMHO. I'd probably recommend a few changes or ideas. I'd try to keep the Archmage fairly cheap. I'd drop the Talisman and just run him with the Book of Hoeth. I would certainly concider giving the Mage Lore of Beasts as it gives the army access to Wildform. I'd take Seaguard over Spearmen (dropping the unit in size to compensate of the points difference). I'd also drop a unit of Archers as well (the Seaguard can compensate for the loss of firepower). With the cheaper Archmage, cheaper Noble, removed Archer and removed banners it would give the army an extra 250+ points to spend.

This could go on another combat unit such as White Lions or Phoenix Guard or on more mobile units like Lion Chariots or Phoenix.

Kahadras