PDA

View Full Version : Chariot bases/artillery

skavenguy13
10-06-2005, 12:02
Hi everyone. I was just thinking: how big are chariot bases? Also, do artillery have the same base size? If not, what is the base size of artillery :confused:

I'm planning to paint my cannon soon and wondered how big the base was and I know there are chariot bases in little packs (like monster bases) but I don't know their size.

Riddy
10-06-2005, 12:41
The size of the artillery base would be determined by the crew's bases, as the crew form up infront of the machine when charged. So an empire cannon with 2 crew would have a frontage the same size as 2 small bases. As for Chariot bases, i think they are the width of an ogre base and the lenght of 2 ogre bases.

Griefbringer
10-06-2005, 12:42
AFAIK chariot bases are 50x100 mm (ie. the same as two monster bases next to each other).

As for artillery, there is no official base size (doesn't usually matter since they do not fight in close combat) and actually they do not need to be based at all. The area they occupy is only an issue if they get hit by a template weapon.

If you want to, you can of course place the artillery on a base - just pick a suitable one. A chariot base allows you to comfortably fit in the main piece, crew and various accessories (barrels, ammo, beer bottles, little dogs etc.).

macbeth
14-06-2005, 06:36
Generally, I place my artilleriy on big monster bases (50x50), and leave the servants free to move around. I don't think it is a really good idea to place the warmachine and the servants on the same base, as often you have to remove a servan, and it is more practical to be able to actually ermove a mini, rather than keep a trace of the dead servants...

T10
14-06-2005, 08:42
Chariots: 1 cavalry base per steed or other animal pulling it. E.g. a Goblin Chariot with 3 wolves should be 3 cavalry bases wide.

Warmachines: Though not normally used with bases, many people like to do so anyway as it more adequately determines exactly where the warmachine is.

Some people like to field them as a small diorama on a chariot base or similar. The benefit is that it looks good. Unfortunately, it does not help to determine the exact location of the warmachine - the chariot base is inappropriately large for this.

I find it best to use a monster base for the artillery piece. It defines the weapons position, fits better into terrain and can be seaparated from the crew if destroyed or abandoned.

-T10

gortexgunnerson
14-06-2005, 12:43
They was a list published by GW at some point but most chariots follow the rules as T10 says but remembering that bigger things pulling chariots come with bigger bases e.g. beasts of nurgle come on 50*50 so deamon nurgle chariot with 2 beasts is 100*100

Avian
14-06-2005, 13:01
The benefit is that it looks good.
And it makes it a whole lot easier to determine whether or not you can target the machine with shooting / spells and whether or not you are within range to charge it. All my machines are based (with slots for the crew to stand in) and I heartily recommend it.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/pictures/big_pussy.JPG

skavenguy13
14-06-2005, 13:09
Well, I know chariot bases are sold (I saw some in a store) but I don't know the size. I'll check in the online store.

For machines, I think you have a point that it works nicely on 50*50 with seperate crew. But maybe I could use a bigger base and simply put the crew's bases on it.

@avian: what was the size of your lobber's base?

edit: there (http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99110213004&orignav=13) is a chariot base. Looks to me like it's 4 cavalry bases in all (2-wide, 2-long). That would mean 50*100.

Case solved for chariots (unless you can take a 3rd mount).

Avian
14-06-2005, 13:15
Umm, I think it's 8 cm by 11 cm or thereabout (a chariot base is 5 cm by 10 cm).
I use smaller ones for my Doom diver and spear chukkas.

skavenguy13
14-06-2005, 13:17
That would be somthing to ask the roolzboyz someday I guess...
Anyway, I play skaven (almost never field a canon), a bit orcs (no machines yet) and soon OK (no machines) so I can wait for the official answer :D

Avian
14-06-2005, 13:37
To what question?

If the question is "What base should a warmachine have?" Then the official answer is "any base / no base". It doesn't actually matter, as the base size of a war machine is never important.

Major Defense
14-06-2005, 14:05
If the question is "What base should a warmachine have?" Then the official answer is "any base / no base". It doesn't actually matter, as the base size of a war machine is never important.

Not to be jerk but you couldn't possibly be more wrong. The base size of a chariot matters for the same obvious reasons that the base sizes of other large models matter. To answer the original question, a standard chariot base is 50mm wide and 100mm long. Some are wider (100mm x 100mm) because they have monster-sized mounts pulling them. If you can buy extra mounts for a chariot then it will be wider by the base width of the extra mounts (4 horses = 100mm wide) and yes, even the chariot part of the base in the back gets wider. You won't ever end up with a T-shaped chariot base.

skavenguy13
14-06-2005, 14:05
Where machine base size IS important:
template weapons
terror
charge range
nearby fleeing units
magic missiles

And there must be a couple more.

Avian
14-06-2005, 14:10
Not to be jerk but you couldn't possibly be more wrong.
Not to be a jerk, but do you know how to read?

"What base should a warmachine have?"

Avian
14-06-2005, 14:15
Where machine base size IS important:
template weapons
terror
charge range
nearby fleeing units
magic missiles

And there must be a couple more.
In the first case the base matters not for the machine (use the machine itself).
In all other cases putting the model on a collective base is more convenient, but by the rules you use the base of the crew and the body of the machine.

As it is, warmachines have no defined base size. If you want to put them on a base then it's your choice. It's more convenient and the disadvantages are negligible.

Major Defense
14-06-2005, 14:46
As it is, warmachines have no defined base size. If you want to put them on a base then it's your choice. It's more convenient and the disadvantages are negligible.

Sorry, I was talking about CHARIOTS here, not WAR MACHINES. CHARIOTS have specific BASE SIZES for a number of reasons - unlike WAR MACHINES which do not.

Sashu
14-06-2005, 17:43
If skavenguy13 is talking about the warp lightning cannon, then it, and it's crew are all one model, so.....

Edit: Looking at some other stuff I found this Gem.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base%2Dchart/1/

skavenguy13
15-06-2005, 17:37
Okay, so I found this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base%2Dchart/1/) site. In the chart, it says chariots have a base of 50*100 or +25wide for each extra mount. There are no official base sizes for most warmachines, the exception is the WLC. Their unit strenght is the same as the crew (2 crew left means US2, etc.).

The WLC is simply treated as a chariot: 50*100 base, the crew can't be killed but it always has US3