PDA

View Full Version : Desolation of Smaug trailer up...

shelfunit.
11-06-2013, 18:10
Not sure if this is the right place, but it is news..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=idp6wjqG674

A few observations.

The good - Liked the tiny bit of the spiders.

The bad - Sadly almost everything else. The dwarfs battling with the elves in the escape from the Elven king whilst they hurtle down the river in barrels seems as depressingly "hollywood" as the chase through the misty mountains and the goblin king. The bits with Legolas and "love interest" again seemed wedged in specifically for the female audience (a rather outdated notion). Suprisingly I was not that impressed with the apearence of Smaug's head. Looked very obviously CGI.

The great - Beorn "bear mode - on!". All half a second of him.

EmperorNorton
11-06-2013, 18:25
That appears to have next to nothing to do with the book I read. Both had a hobbit and a dragon in it, but that's about it.
Well, can't be worse than the first part.

BigbyWolf
11-06-2013, 18:35
Suprisingly I was not that impressed with the apearence of Smaug's head. Looked very obviously CGI.

I know what you mean, I was very annoyed that they didn't use an actual dragon for those shots!

:shifty:

;)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-06-2013, 18:51
That appears to have next to nothing to do with the book I read. Both had a hobbit and a dragon in it, but that's about it.
Well, can't be worse than the first part.

:D I'm still laughing a minute later from reading that, nicely done.

I know what you mean, I was very annoyed that they didn't use an actual dragon for those shots!

;)

You thought it was horse in those burgers....

....think again....

;)

buddy_revell
11-06-2013, 18:57

;)

the dinosaurs in jurassic park looked more convincing.

ac4155
11-06-2013, 19:01
I like it. Can't wait. Absolutely love Tolkien books and am a fan of Peter Jacksons adaptations of them.
Enjoyed the first film and I'm looking forward to this one even more.

shelfunit.
11-06-2013, 20:16

;)

You know what I mean :p It looked more like something The Asylum would put in their version of the film. Not quite as bad as Carnosaur effects, but the Nazguls winged beasts from LotR were more "convincing", and they are effects from 12 years ago now.

Avian
11-06-2013, 20:32
Yeah, it looked like in order to save money they copied the dragon from Shrek... :(

I think I'll sit this one out.

fgsfds-
11-06-2013, 20:36
True at that.

cyphertheory
11-06-2013, 21:40
Don't think I will be rushing out to the cinema to see this one, not over keen on the first Hobbit film. Shame as I love the lord of the rings trilogy

BigbyWolf
12-06-2013, 13:48
You thought it was horse in those burgers....

It should have been. The lable said 99% horse...:shifty:

Wait, you're telling me that they weren't real dinosaurs?! :eek:

Next you'll be telling me that Tim Allen isn't really Santa. :mad:

DarthSte
12-06-2013, 13:51
Looks more fun than the last one. Shame Gollum will (probably) not be in it.

eldargal
12-06-2013, 14:06
I liked the last one and I like the look of this one so far. I think Tauriel is a nice addition to help de-sausage fest the film a bit without relying on Cate Blanchett. Curious as to why Orlando Bloom seems to be playing two characters but whatever.

DarthSte, Gollum was in the IMDB credits I'm fairly sure.

theunwantedbeing
12-06-2013, 14:35
I don't remember Legolas being in the Hobbit :confused: but it has been a loooonnngggg time since I last read the book.

That said, no Gollum in that trailer :D

TheBearminator
12-06-2013, 14:47
I don't remember Legolas being in the Hobbit :confused: but it has been a loooonnngggg time since I last read the book.

He wasn't part of it. However he's always gives an excuse for showing up in the movies to do some Tony Hawk stuff on his shield or killing twelve orks with one arrow. Reminding us that elves are best at every sport, even before they are invented. Most annoying character since Jar-Jar must die Binks.

shelfunit.
12-06-2013, 14:47

He wasn't in the Hobbit book - it's not a stretch for him to have been in the background though, he is the son of Thranduil, so he is not "out of place" (as it were) in the film. He had no active role in the book though, so any parts with him in the film are PJs inventions.

Avian
12-06-2013, 15:33
Right, and at least he's aged better than Elijah Wood did for the last Hobbit movie, but to me it still feel like an attempt at finding employment for certain members of the ex-LotR crew.

woodster17
12-06-2013, 16:30
Looks good. I'm not even slightly a film aficionado and as such things like CGI issues and slightly out of place characters don't bother me in the slightest. Like many of you i'm a LOTR and Tolkien fanboy but don't mind the deviations that PJ took when adapting both books to the screen. I'm just not fussy like that although I can appreciate that others are. GoT adaptions from book to TV annoy me more to be honest. The first film entertained me and it appears the second will too. Can't wait.

Angelwing
13-06-2013, 08:20
looks good, but not sure my legs, knees and backside can take the cinema seat abuse for this one. I and most of the audience in the first hobbit were willing the film to end. I haven't hurt that much in ages.

EmperorNorton
13-06-2013, 08:45
Curious as to why Orlando Bloom seems to be playing two characters but whatever.
Ah, so I am not imagining things. That is somewhat reassuring.
I was wondering why they were giving a reprise not only to Legolas, but also to Will Turner.

Lothlanathorian
13-06-2013, 09:29
I don't like Tolkien, but, very much enjoyed the LotR film trilogy and, while I didn't enjoy An Unexpected Journey as much as I did those movies and all that I know has changed, I'll still end up seeing them. Either I'll enjoy the movie or I'll have something to complain about. Either way, I get some kind of enjoyment out of it.

warlordbob
13-06-2013, 11:20
The 'other Orlando' is Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman, if its who I think people are referring to. It looks like its going to heavier on setpeices than the first, but I do hope that Smaug is just a placeholder and not what hes really going to look like.

EmperorNorton
13-06-2013, 18:13
So Hollywood has perfected cloning, then?

razormasticator
13-06-2013, 18:19
I thought it looked pretty good to me. But thats how I see it.

Urgat
13-06-2013, 21:35
Legolas aside, it seems fine to me. You're all just a bunch of whiners :p

Commodus Leitdorf
13-06-2013, 23:05
Legolas aside, it seems fine to me. You're all just a bunch of whiners :p

Dude, it's the Internet...it's to be expected

That being said they did seem to add a lot! and since we see Smaug I imagine the cut-off for this movie is JUST before the battle of 5 armies, which will pretty much be the whole third movie! THAT makes me happy!

AS for the CGI "Not looking good" :rolleyes: Seriously, guys, the movie is still months away. The CG ain't done...its NEVER done at this point yet Hollywood always feels the need to add scenes into their early trailers showing it not being done.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 06:38
AS for the CGI "Not looking good" :rolleyes: Seriously, guys, the movie is still months away. The CG ain't done...its NEVER done at this point yet Hollywood always feels the need to add scenes into their early trailers showing it not being done.

Could you provide a few examples of that?

Commodus Leitdorf
14-06-2013, 11:31
Could you provide a few examples of that?

Off the top of my head the Owlship coming out of the water in the teaser trailer of Watchmen. The water effects were clearly not done yet but they used it anyway.

Avian
14-06-2013, 11:32
The CG ain't done...its NEVER done at this point yet Hollywood always feels the need to add scenes into their early trailers showing it not being done.
It was done for the LotR trailers.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 11:55
Off the top of my head the Owlship coming out of the water in the teaser trailer of Watchmen. The water effects were clearly not done yet but they used it anyway.

Fair enough, but water coming off a ship is not the same as the main title character from the film. It would be like the trailer for Shrek having pre-production sketches of him and Donkey going for a walk.

Ramius4
14-06-2013, 12:50
Smaug looks like he is made out of wax from melted red crayons... So much for suspension of disbelief

The bearded one
14-06-2013, 13:51
I know they changed a lot, but I'm not fussed. I'm aware it's an adaptation with alterations, but I know the book well enough and the movie won't change what's in the book. The first movie amused me greatly for three hours and I have no doubt the second will do so as well, a feat not that many movies manage anymore these days, even when most movies are only half that length generally. I saw the first movie twice with different people in the cinema and couldn't help but overhearing both times how quickly they felt the three hours had gone by. I don't think these movies are near as good as the LotR trilogy but I still find them vastly better than most of the stuff I see coming out. Colour me amused, entertained and not bothered to nitpick ;)

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 14:08
Well, I'd hope the finished product was much better than this. Against what I had expected the first film was pretty good, but this is the first many people are going to see of this film. It shows a lack of professionalism and quality that the four preceeding PJ adaptions of Tolkien had stamped all over them, regardless of plot changes.

Commodus Leitdorf
14-06-2013, 14:47
It was done for the LotR trailers.

Yes but Peter Jackson also used ALOT of miniatures and sets as opposed to CG. It also took him 7 Years to make the films.

He never planned on doing the Hobbit and the only reason he ended up doing it was because the original director ended up leaving the project (for reasons I can't remember). I have a strong suspicion he agreed to do it but didn't want to spend another 7 years working on it so he cut corners and used a lot more CG then he normally would.

OH! and another example, the Hulk in the original Ang Lee HULK movie. The original trailer got blasted because he looked like a green and purple blob. They fixed up the scenes and gave the Hulk alot more depth.

Dylius
14-06-2013, 14:51
I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping they tone down some of the fight scenes in it this time round, though. In the first part, the bit with the goblins and the end bit in the trees seemed way too over the top for me.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 14:54
OH! and another example, the Hulk in the original Ang Lee HULK movie. The original trailer got blasted because he looked like a green and purple blob.

To be fair the film itself got blasted for that reason too.

brightblade
14-06-2013, 15:40
I am with the bearded one on this. The first was a good romp but it was the set up movie. This looks suitably dark for me especially the spiders.

What's the problem with the dragon? It is shadowy and looks suitably bulky. It certainly appears the way I imagined Smaug would.

I have issues with some aspects of the production design on all the Jackson movies but they are made by him, not me and so are near enough. I see them as a loose guide rather than the definitive middle earth.

Personally I feel Jackson and his 'Tolkien experts' get a lot of things wrong (especially name pronunciation) and I much prefer Angus McBride's look but that is a different debate.

Anyone who thinks that trailers are only put together when the film (and so it's effects) is complete doesn't know enough about film making to have their opinion given any credence.

Ang Lee's Hulk is a fine, bold and brave piece of work. Certainly better than the second.

Back on the Hobbit, the only thing that looks stupid is Thranduil's crown, let's hope Bilbo sings as he taunts the spiders.

Can't wait myself.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 16:00
What's the problem with the dragon? It is shadowy and looks suitably bulky. It certainly appears the way I imagined Smaug would.

The size, shape, bulk etc of the dragon are not a problem. The fact that it looks less beliveable than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796gyoCcf70) is a problem

Anyone who thinks that trailers are only put together when the film (and so it's effects) is complete doesn't know enough about film making to have their opinion given any credence.

I feel similarly for those that think that trying to sell one of (if not) the biggest film releases of the year using sub-standard effects on a series of films that has set the standard for special effects is a good idea.

Ang Lee's Hulk is a fine, bold and brave piece of work. Certainly better than the second.

The majority of people who have seen these films disagree. IMDB ratings 5.7 (average of nearly 140,000 ratings) for Ang Lee's Hulk, and 6.9 (average of nearly 200,000 ratings) for the newer version.

brightblade
14-06-2013, 16:49
All good responses, shelf unit but one of us works in the film industry and it isn't you! So pardon me when I value my knowledge, experience and opinion above yours and any critic who has never actually worked to make a film and so understands little of the reality of filmmaking.

I trust myself ahead of scores on IMDB.

Yes, I do have a profile on IMDB, not, I hasten to add created by myself but by the credits I have earned in twenty years of working in the technical side of the business.

The hobbit looks like fun. Can't wait. Nice to see wood elves killing (and being killed by) orcs.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 17:19
All good responses, shelf unit but one of us works in the film industry and it isn't you!

You sound familiar...

So pardon me when I value my knowledge, experience and opinion above yours and any critic who has never actually worked to make a film and so understands little of the reality of filmmaking.

.... it is you! To think I'm chatting to Michael Bay :p

Which certainly explains this. :D

brightblade
14-06-2013, 17:32
Ha ha ha. Good guess!

There is more to be positive about in this trailer than negative. Let's just enjoy it but then as others say in other parts of this forum 'the Internet is for moaning'

The thought of this movie even being made is marvellous. That it is being done as well as it is (despite not being perfect) is a bonus!

Commodus Leitdorf
14-06-2013, 17:44
You sound familiar...
.... it is you! To think I'm chatting to Michael Bay :p

Hey, hey, HEY!!!!

Let's not say something we can't take back. ;)

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 17:45
Ha ha ha. Good guess!

There is more to be positive about in this trailer than negative. Let's just enjoy it but then as others say in other parts of this forum 'the Internet is for moaning'

The thought of this movie even being made is marvellous. That it is being done as well as it is (despite not being perfect) is a bonus!

I have no doubt the film itself will be good - the first one was far better than I was expecting, but seriously the "first reveal" of Smaug should be something that provokes awe and amazement - this just left me wondering if they had put the wrong clip in. Visually the rest of the trailer was fine, sometimes excellent (Beorn!), but I have rarely (if ever) been disapointed by effects in the LotR films until this point.
On a sidenote - would you happen to be able to divulge a few of the films you have worked on? (please feel free to maintain your anonymity - no fun guessing otherwise :D)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-06-2013, 17:46
All good responses, shelf unit but one of us works in the film industry and it isn't you! So pardon me when I value my knowledge, experience and opinion above yours and any critic who has never actually worked to make a film and so understands little of the reality of filmmaking.

The same for your responses, true quality. I tend to value my own opinion over some random person on the interwebs ;)

Also, as films are primarily designed to make money through providing entertainment (unless I missed a memo somewhere) surely it doesn't matter if the critic in question works in the film industry; the only relevant detail is that it is possible for them to be entertained by a film?

So you trust yourself more than other people in regards to a matter that is near completely subjective? Who'd have thought :p

Yes, I do have a profile on IMDB, not, I hasten to add created by myself but by the credits I have earned in twenty years of working in the technical side of the business.

You know you've pulled you weight in advancing the human race when you've had an IMDB profile made for you :D

eldargal
14-06-2013, 17:59
I liked the cast reaction to the fangirl reaction video video. It's really quite sweet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECcfjehOTU).

de Selby
14-06-2013, 18:18
I've sort of run out of enthusiasm for this. Unexpected Journey tested my resolve (some good bits, a lot of unwanted padding and angry birds style action sequences*) and this looks to be more of the same. I expect I'll end up going to see it but I'm now wondering if they're going to kill Smaug in the second film, and save the battle of five armies and the fall of the necromancer for the third. If so maybe I'll just declare the story finished and skip the third one.

*I've just realised this is what all the CG leaping and falling about reminded me of. Cartoon physics engine.

Urgat
14-06-2013, 19:13
The size, shape, bulk etc of the dragon are not a problem. The fact that it looks less beliveable than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796gyoCcf70) is a problem

Hyperbola much?

I expect I'll end up going to see it but I'm now wondering if they're going to kill Smaug in the second film, and save the battle of five armies and the fall of the necromancer for the third. If so maybe I'll just declare the story finished and skip the third one.

The first movie wasn't even released that pretty much everybody had guessed the first part would be what we got, the second part would be smaug and the third part would be the battle of the five armies, you know :p
Now, did anybody even stop and consider the fact that if they had adapted the book as is, it would have been a terrible movie, with a first half sickeningly childish and a second part clearly not for the same audience, with tremendous non-events and resolutions? I mean, the book is supposedly about the dwarfs getting back Eredor from Smaug. I'm not going to spoil in case someone actually didn't read the book, but, converted into a movie, that would be... her... anticlimactic to the max. There's a few things I don't like, there always is, but, overall, I'm really happy with what Jackson did. He turned a potentially dreadful project into an enjoyable one.
I can even forgive him for the shameless Legolas plug, since he spared us the jolly elves singing "O tralalalali! O tri li li loli!" in the bushes before the dwarfs reached Rivendell.

shelfunit.
14-06-2013, 19:29
Hyperbola much?

No. Words for the word god

Avian
14-06-2013, 19:58
Now, did anybody notice the fact that the way they adapted the book, it is a terrible movie, with a first half sickeningly childish and a second part clearly not for the same audience, with tremendous non-events and resolutions?
I fixed that for you.

The bearded one
14-06-2013, 20:40
Did you spend three hours with your head in your hands though? The first hour at least, if not more, is nearly straight off the page, down to the songs, apart from a distasteful burping joke, even though I can't imagine dwarven tablemanners to be all that wonderful.

Urgat
14-06-2013, 21:03
I fixed that for you.

Yeah. I don't think you've read the book recently.

O! What are you doing,
And where are you going?
Your ponies need shoeing!
The river is flowing!
O! tra-la-la-lally
here down in the valley!
O! What are you seeking,
And where are you making?
The faggots are reeking,
The bannocks are baking!
O! tril-lil-lil-lolly
the valley is jolly,
ha! ha!
O! Where are you going
With beards all a-wagging?
No knowing, no knowing
What brings Mister Baggins,
And Balin and Dwalin
down into the valley
in June
ha! ha!
O! Will you be staying,
Or will you be flying?
Your ponies are straying!
The daylight is dying!
To fly would be folly,
To stay would be jolly
And listen and hark
Till the end of the dark
to our tune
ha! ha!

Curse Jackson for changing the book, haha, laliloo! Now it's childish compared to the book, peeleepeedeeboo! Ah ah! Oh oh!
Seriously. Well That'd have been funny if they kept it and Legolas Cameo was him singing that, hidden behind a bush. I wonder if the elves will sing as they dump the barrels in the river :p

The bearded one
14-06-2013, 23:04
It's funny, I happened to reference that song on another forum earlier today :D "the faggots are reeking", imagine that line to be in the movie.

I wonder if the elves will sing as they dump the barrels in the river :p

I wonder wether the captain of the guard will still get drunk with Galion, the butler. Tauriel drunk :p

Voss
15-06-2013, 02:25
It's funny, I happened to reference that song on another forum earlier today :D "the faggots are reeking", imagine that line to be in the movie.

I wonder wether the captain of the guard will still get drunk with Galion, the butler. Tauriel drunk :p

How do you think she gets together with Leglass?

Freak Ona Leash
15-06-2013, 02:35
How do you think she gets together with Leglass?
I assume he mistakes her for Gimli. Ba-dum tish.

eldargal
15-06-2013, 04:52
Peter Jackson said there is no romantic link between Tauriel and Legolas.

Urgat
15-06-2013, 08:26

I saw that, but thought it'd be better not to mention it...

Not a chance. Seen the Extended version of LoTR? In jackson's view of the dwarfs and elves, for the amount it takes to waste a dwarf, elves barely feel tinglish at the tip of their fingers (one of these backwards stuff, like dwarfs being sprinters but not hardy runners). Well I won't complain much, at least, in the Hobbit movie, the dwarfs actually put a fight against the trolls. In the book, honestly, until the battle of the five armies, they're a complete disgrace anytime there's fighting to be done. I honestly don't think Tolkien liked dwarves either.

Lothlanathorian
15-06-2013, 19:46
Saw the trailer at Man of Steel this morning. Smaug looked just fine. I was expecting some kind of horrible CG SNAFU and, instead, I saw a pretty good looking dragon head. Either they cleaned it up or you guys are overreacting so hard it may be bad for your health.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
16-06-2013, 00:07
Saw the trailer at Man of Steel this morning. Smaug looked just fine. I was expecting some kind of horrible CG SNAFU and, instead, I saw a pretty good looking dragon head. Either they cleaned it up or you guys are overreacting so hard it may be bad for your health.

Nope, we're not :D

Lothlanathorian
16-06-2013, 00:46
It certainly didn't look like melted wax :p

Also worth noting is that PJ's original intention was to make two films and the studio said, 'Yeeeaaah, so, I'm gonna need you to make three movies. Mmhmm.'

Shush
16-06-2013, 07:19

:yes:

I'm really looking forward to it :D

cornonthecob
16-06-2013, 07:42
It certainly didn't look like melted wax :p

Also worth noting is that PJ's original intention was to make two films and the studio said, 'Yeeeaaah, so, I'm gonna need you to make three movies. Mmhmm.'

http://youtu.be/8Mv7CE1XlZk

Lothlanathorian
16-06-2013, 08:58
http://youtu.be/8Mv7CE1XlZk

:shifty::yes: