PDA

View Full Version : Is this legite?

Soundwave
12-06-2013, 14:45
Another Mortis Engine question.
The earthing rod is quite becoming a fave of mine lately,especially after rolling double 6 on two dice trying to cast something silly that my opponent would let through anyhow.So if i miss cast near the tome on the engine, roll twice my opponent picks one i do not like, then i can use my earthing rod yes?

Soundwave
13-06-2013, 15:42
No answers? Guys help? It is technically re-rolling the re-roll well three times on the table...?Or is rolling twice not considered a re-roll???

gorblud
13-06-2013, 16:15
Blasphemous tome: roll twice on the miscast table
Earthing Rod: If the wizard rolls on the miscast table, he can reroll the result.

I think you have to roll twice and reroll one of those (or both?). After you have rerolled, your opponent chooses.

I believe you can reroll both results if you want to?

theshoveller
13-06-2013, 16:16
I'd be inclined to say the two effects cancel out, if only to speed up play. Then again, the Earthing Rod is a one-use item...

theshoveller
13-06-2013, 16:19
I think you have to roll twice and reroll one of those (if you want to). After you have rerolled, your opponent chooses.
Which raises the possibility that you might make an Earthing Rod for your own back, since there are only so many results on the table.

theunwantedbeing
13-06-2013, 16:24
Seems simple enough.

The Mortis Engine makes you roll twice and then your opponent picks which is the result.
The Earthing Rod lets you re-roll this result.

No conflict, no cancelling out.

theshoveller
13-06-2013, 16:30
Seems simple enough.

The Mortis Engine makes you roll twice and then your opponent picks which is the result.

Seems reasonable.

gorblud
13-06-2013, 16:34
well..

You roll on the miscast table twice and get two results. You may reroll one or both to get another result. the opponent then chooses which of the two results applies

Avian
13-06-2013, 18:06
Given that the order is not specified, the player whose turn it is chooses what happens first - re-rolling or choosing.

gorblud
13-06-2013, 18:42
The tome says: The Miscasting players opponent chooses which result applies.

This must mean that you roll and get two results which you're allowed to reroll, yes? The opponent then picks one of the results, and the chosen one applies.

Avian
13-06-2013, 18:46
It is not at all clear if it should be
1) roll twice, re-roll either, both or none and the opponent picks which to apply, or
2) roll twice, opponent picks which to apply, re-roll if you wish

Since the order is not clear, the player whose turn it is chooses, as per page 10 of the rulebook.

gorblud
13-06-2013, 19:06
I think it is clear really..

The miscasting players opponent chooses which result applies.

I roll 3 and 6, now I have two results. The earthing rod lets me reroll the result. Now I have 6 and 7. The opponent Picks one.

Remember that hostile wizards must roll twice on the miscast table aswell, as long as they are within 12".

Avian
13-06-2013, 19:12
Well, why can't you get two results and from those the other player choose which result applies and then you reroll the result?

MLP
13-06-2013, 19:16
Seems simple enough.

I think this makes most sense. If you allow both results to be rerolled then you're only halfway through the effects of the Mortis engine. Let the Mortis engine result run through so you roll two and opponent chooses, then start the effect for the Rod and reroll the chosen result.

gorblud
13-06-2013, 21:44
Well, why can't you get two results and from those the other player choose which result applies and then you reroll the result?

I guess that's true

Blkc57
14-06-2013, 01:17
Given that the order is not specified, the player whose turn it is chooses what happens first - re-rolling or choosing.

There is much wisdom in this...if the order of action is not specified it is usually left up to the players whose turn it is to dictate the order they are resolved.

MLP
14-06-2013, 07:19
There is much wisdom in this...if the order of action is not specified it is usually left up to the players whose turn it is to dictate the order they are resolved.

But it's not the order that's the issue. It's the fact the ability is being used before another is finished. Theunwantedbeing hit the nail on the head, fully resolve the Mortis Engine's ability, then use the Forbidden Rod if you wish.

Avian
14-06-2013, 13:46
But we are not required to 'finish' one rule before dealing with the next.

One example being cold blooded combined with something that tells you to roll an additional dice and discard the lowest. In such cases you roll 4 dice for the test and discard both the highest and lowest, you don't roll three, discard, roll another dice and discard again.

theunwantedbeing
14-06-2013, 13:54
But it's not the order that's the issue. It's the fact the ability is being used before another is finished. Theunwantedbeing hit the nail on the head, fully resolve the Mortis Engine's ability, then use the Forbidden Rod if you wish.

The other way is to grant the re-roll during the extra dice roll.
Although there's no reason why that would only allow a re-roll of one of the dice, you'de be allowed to re-roll both.

I prefer the method I stated first though.
Just because it means the earthing staff goes off the applied result, rather than two potential results.
It is simpler as you only have a single re-roll rather than two as well.

Soundwave
18-06-2013, 12:02
Thank you all so much for the imput guys i think this is yet another brainstorm from g.w that has not been thought out clearly with existing rules...again house ruling i think.