PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best way to run a 1vs1vs1 or "battle royale" game

MasterSplinter
12-06-2013, 17:55
Hi everybody!

Tomorrow i plan to run a Warhammer battle with 2 friends of mine, and i am not quite sure how we should do this. Years ago there was a white dwarf article about the battle of la maison taal, or the battle of the three armies. Now that was two editions ago and want to adept the rules of this scenario to 8th edition. It could be difficult regarding the magic system (generation of power an dispel dice). How would you do the rules for this? Would you split the Dispel dice pool between the two opposing players or would you give everybody his own dispel pool? Any other ideas?

Problems that might occure... if there are three player turns, per game turn you will have players fighting three closecombat phases etc.

IcedCrow
12-06-2013, 18:03
When I do battle royales I do a joint turn.

So get who goes first, second, etc...

Then all players move. Then all players magic. Then all players shoot. Then all combats are fought. That's a turn

boli
12-06-2013, 18:44
2D6 everyone gets power dice and dispel dice; doesn't work with dwarves.

Or if doing turns in order: 3D6 other armies get highest dice in DD

Furball
12-06-2013, 19:29
Then all players move. Then all players magic. Then all players shoot. Then all combats are fought. That's a turn
Another twist on this is to random who goes first/second/last. You can do this per turn, or per phase. All you do is roll a die, and go in the order you rolled. However, to make it slightly fairer, you add the following rules:
If you went first last time: -1 and you lose ties.
If you went last last time: +1 and you win ties.

MasterSplinter
12-06-2013, 19:52
some creative ideas you guys gave me :)

@icedcrow: Thats a pretty easy way to handle it and solves the problem of the multiple cc phase in an elegant way. Problem is, ( i didnt mention it, my mistake) these two players missed the last edition and this edition of our game, and its the first time i try to introduce the "new" rules to them, so i am afraid your suggestion is a bit to abstract - on the other side both of them a veterans of the old rules so they might have no problem with this abstraction at all.
BUT i think it is the only way to maintain the balance between the phases in a battle royal game. That was already a problem with battle royale in 6th edition? Thank you :)

@boli: So, you mean 3d6 Power dice generation -> lowest and highest to the caster -> Highest one to both opponents. I think i will do it like that, since we dont have any dwarves tomorrow... armys competing will be Skaven or Chaoswarriors (me), Lizards, Empire.

@Furball: Good idea, evens the chances for players that no one always goes last, and gets beat on by both other sides ;)

....some of your ideas seem to be familiar with me. Has this theme disscussed in some way on the board or has there been an official set of rules for this edition?

BigbyWolf
12-06-2013, 19:57
If they're new to this edition, I might suggest playing a couple of smaller gamesof 1v1, or have them ally together and have a 2v1 instead of trying to overcomplicate things with a threeway.

boli
12-06-2013, 20:03
@boli: So, you mean 3d6 Power dice generation -> lowest and highest to the caster -> Highest one to both opponents. I think i will do it like that, since we dont have any dwarves tomorrow... armys competing will be Skaven or Chaoswarriors (me), Lizards, Empire.

If you are doing in order 3D6 and opponents get highest dice each caster gets all 3 max of 18. It sounds insane but remember that the 3D6 is going against 2D6; so it kind of evens out especially when you consider that the opponents may not always dispel the spells which do not directly effect them.

Good thing you do not have dwarves as if you decide to all go at the same time (e.g. everyone gets power / dispel dice) that method completely fails

StygianBeach
12-06-2013, 20:09
I watched a great 1v1v1 battle posted by Malorian.
Deployment was on the short side (like battle for the pass) and the victory condition was Watch Tower.

1 player deployed in the middle and the other 2 players deployed either side. The winner is whom ever holds the tower after 6 turns.

Looked like fun to me...

Fear Ghoul
12-06-2013, 20:13
We use a hexagonal battlefield to make the armies equidistant from each other. The player who finished deploying first gets +2 to first turn roll, the player who finished deploying second gets +1 to first turn roll, etc. Players make their turns in order as normal. The dispel dice during the magic phase all go to one of the other players, which is decided by a roll off unless one side has no wizards. Players only fight combats in which their units are involved.

MasterSplinter
12-06-2013, 20:14
@bigby: Yeah, my thought, also for reasons of time we have (will cost much time to elaborate my "houserules" to them), will see if i can work it out this evening or we will go for them against me, or me being the "referee" to them.

@boli: OK, now i understand, just after i wrote my last post and answerded to you i felt that somehow it would not work the way i understood it^^

We will see tomorrow, i will report if we did a battle royale and how it worked :)

Thanks to all of you!

MasterSplinter
12-06-2013, 20:22
@StgianBeach: Yeah, i always thougt battle royal is really great fun and always wanted to try it since i read the battle report for la maison taal way back in time!
I would do it the same style with a big piece of terrain to conquer in the middle of the board, Stygian Beach, do you have a link to the vid you tell of?

@Fearghoul: So, the way you do it only the players close combats are are fighted, that another way to do it which is a good idea :)

Quarrel
12-06-2013, 20:32
I would definitely use some sort of objective for the scenario, something for the armies to hold in the center of the board. Rather than the fairly static Watchtower, might I suggest a Blood Forest? It is a really great piece of terrain, that comes to life and moves across the battlefield anytime a spell is cast by or at a unit inside it, munching on anyone caught in its path. Once the fighting gets thick, it can sometimes become a game of chase-the-objective rather than hold-the-objective.

For some added tension, it could be nice to give a bonus to anyone who holds the forest. Perhaps any wizard within the cursed wood could become a Loremaster of Death (Further encouraging the forest's rampage!) or the blood stained timbers could invite death, giving units within Killing Blow. If you have hills and cliffs and such available among your terrain, they would also be great for the center of the board. The higher it is, the more visible it is, but the more visible you are from it. That wizard up there can see you no matter where you try to hide, but you'll always be able to see him, too.

SteveW
12-06-2013, 22:58
Magic is easier than youd expect, just split the dispel dice between the two armies and use them like they are suspicious allies.

Also, you need to come up with objectives. We prefer to use secret objectives from a premade deck so that the other two players wont just team up on one guy to stop him from taking an objective.

StygianBeach
12-06-2013, 23:30
Malorian. Dark Elves v Orc's and G's v Skaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLol_7RBZ8

reddevil18
13-06-2013, 02:06
As suggested if these are learning players do a 1v2 game, but do the single players army as two separate armies otherwise having the larger allowance in in composition slots makes it really one sided.

MasterSplinter
14-06-2013, 19:47
Hi guys, thanks again to all of you for giving me inspiration for the game we had thursday! :)

I will give a short summary how it was like:

- we gave the battle of the three armies a try, it went relativly easy with the dispel dice, we used the rules for suspicious allies, as SteveW suggested

- played 2000 points per army, so 6000 points on a 48x96" board

- kind of problematic were deployment zones, because one player was in the middle of the action, and, although all deployment zones had the same distances between each other, it seemed he got most of the trouble.

-goal of the game was to have as much points as possible in the objective zone, by the end of turn 6, but for reasons of time we only had 4 turns, then counted VPs.

- To me the style of the game was really refreshing, and both other players told me that it was good fun to them also. Still, next time we want to do a classic game with two partys for more real competition. This game was fun, but it was a little unpredictable.

Stygian, thank you for the link, i will watch malorians report right now, and i hope i will learn for my next 3 player battle :)

the bloodforest is a brilliant idea and sounds very funny! First i read your suggestion Quarrel, i thought it would be to much of a x factor, but after playing this game i can tell you its pretty much everything but predictable when playing 1vs1vs1, so it would have been a good adition^^ -> next time

StygianBeach
14-06-2013, 23:01
Stygian, thank you for the link, i will watch malorians report right now, and i hope i will learn for my next 3 player battle :)

Glad I could help.