PDA

View Full Version : Wood of flying daggers...

Crazed_monkey
30-05-2006, 16:58
...Or a wood elf army I'm trying to get started and finished for a tournement by August.

Hi all,

To get you up to date my club is holding a small tournement in August and I though I'd enter a different army (I've always used my bretonnians) and I decided after watching house of flying daggers that a wood elf army would be very cool using that theme.

http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/asiakritiken-filmbilder/house-of-the-flying-daggers/house-of-the-flying-dagge-5.jpg

This is basically the image I'm going for.

As I need to do 2000pts in a couple of months the convertions wont be too taxing, they'll involve three key additions:

1) bamboo shoots -
Now I have no Idea how i will be doing this but I want the bases to have shoots of bamboo on them and if I have the will I'll have some crazy elves flying about on them.

2) The usual chinese 'headgear' -
I don't know exactly how I'll get these en masse as I'd like most units to be sporting them, I've been thinking about casting them but I'm unsure of how complex that process would be.

3) Main characters -
I'll try and incorporate the main characters into heroes etc I wont be converting them much but it'll be the colours that set them apart.

This is how far I am so far. As far as the army list is concerned I'm undecided at the moment, it'll contain mostly if not exlusivley elves mainly glade guard, glade riders and then some wardancers, warhawk riders, way watchers and heroes.

I don't have any test mini's at the moment but I'll post up the first elf I tried to paint as an example of my 'talent' and how I'd like even rank and file models to look.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6663/woodelflord9uj.jpg

So at this point in time I'm looking for advice on making the bamboo and hats while I work out a list.

Thanks,

WizBanger
30-05-2006, 17:04
You could make hats with regular paper, try to make a cone of your appeal and put it on your models head. quite simple.

You could go and buy small branches of bambo?
To make something look like bambo, I don't know :P

colhodg
30-05-2006, 18:17
Paper hats would be very simple, cheap and not too fiddly, if you want to cast them then have a look for the how to on green stuff casting in the main part of the website.
Bamboo: section of thick wire, cut strips of newspaper, dip in some thinned pva glue and wrap them round the wire. you could use thin plastic tubing or wooden dowel instead of wire. You might want to look out for plastic fish tank scenery for lush jungle bits - look at the warhammer guides to Lustria terrain on the GW site. Have a look at the film Hero too if you haven't already.

Hope to see some work on this once you've started as this has potential for a gorgeous army if done justice, best of luck

HiredSword.
30-05-2006, 19:22
thats quite a nice model. I know its just a test model, but here's some things you should consider;

1. the cloth should be a lighter green so it blends in with the bamboo

2. if you convert that highborn, then he'd look excellent standing on a piece of bamboo so that he loomed over other models, which is exactly the pose the original model has got.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of your blog.

P.S. i don't think it would fit with the house of flying daggers type theme, but i'd love to see how you could make bamboo dryads :D

Crazed_monkey
30-05-2006, 20:04
thats quite a nice model. I know its just a test model, but here's some things you should consider;

1. the cloth should be a lighter green so it blends in with the bamboo

2. if you convert that highborn, then he'd look excellent standing on a piece of bamboo so that he loomed over other models, which is exactly the pose the original model has got.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of your blog.

P.S. i don't think it would fit with the house of flying daggers type theme, but i'd love to see how you could make bamboo dryads :D

Crazy bamboo dryads would be fun. As for the comments on the highborn, I painted him before the theme idea so once I get some basic GG undercoated I'll try the real scheme but I relly like the idea of standing on the bamboo.

Paper hats would be simple but I don't know if I could get the look right just by painting onto the paper, we'll see.

As far as colours go what colour what people suggest I start with to get that green? (the green in the background not the leader) I was thinking scorpion green but that may be a bit bright.

HiredSword.
30-05-2006, 20:07
how are your greenstuff skills? GS casting would mean you would only have to sculpt one or two (for variety) and then cast the rest of them.

btw waywatchers modelled with daggers would be excellent, what with the killing blow special rule and all :evilgrin:

Neknoh
30-05-2006, 20:25
I'd like to improve on Hiredswords idea even further, if you do convert him to stand on some bambo, make sure to swap his sword for a bambo spear as well to give him the right feal.

And Waywatchers should most deffinately be made as the Guardsmen leaping from bamboo to bamboo and throwing bamboo stuff.

HPD_Andy
30-05-2006, 22:22
The armor on the model looks cool and I agree with HiredSword on the GS casting.

TKitch
30-05-2006, 22:58
might want to look at High Elf Archers. They're already wearing 'robes' of sorts, and their torsos can be fixed in a hurry to make it look like a 1 piece robe.

Then with creative arm posing, and a little stuffing, you could have the feel you're after.

Cheatah
30-05-2006, 23:34
As for the color... I'd say snot green built up to scorpion green.

HiredSword.
31-05-2006, 14:01
right i've got some further questions (if you dont mind) so i know what to suggest;

are you one of those people with a massive budget who can buy an all metal army?

is the army actually based on the film or just the look?

i was just wondering because i've got quite a few ideas floating around.

Crazed_monkey
31-05-2006, 15:23
I wouldn't say I have a massive budget but as long as I get a list I like soon then I can spend accordingly. As far as being based, its mainly just based on the look but a few references to the movie would be nice, what do you have in mind?

P.S. Just undercoated my test mine and will start trying colours (He's wearing a paper hat which doesn't look too bad but could be improved.)

Well here we go, the first test model (mind you its only the cloth done). I'm unsure wether to keep the different peices of cloth the same colour or have them different shades like normal WE.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9442/woodie4xg.jpg

What do you think? the hat is a bit off but other that that I'm fairly happy with the cloth and could see mayself doing an army of them.

colhodg
31-05-2006, 17:54
I like the green! if nothing else you'll have quite an original looking woodelf army. The dark brown on the bow fits - i wouldn't highlight it too much.
Black leather contrasts nicely with the brightness of the green. If you wanted to do the fine gold/silve patterning on the original pic i would suggest getting a hold of a fine detail pen from an art shop.

The hat isn't terrible - tho maybe it could be a little smaller. Some figures could perhaps have the hat hung on their backs for some variety in the unit - they might look like mushrooms when ranked up :)

Cheatah
31-05-2006, 18:01
That looks GREAT, I don't think the hat is too large. (even though the ones in the movie seem to be smaller)

Crazed_monkey
31-05-2006, 18:50
I like the green! if nothing else you'll have quite an original looking woodelf army. The dark brown on the bow fits - i wouldn't highlight it too much.
Black leather contrasts nicely with the brightness of the green. If you wanted to do the fine gold/silve patterning on the original pic i would suggest getting a hold of a fine detail pen from an art shop.

The hat isn't terrible - tho maybe it could be a little smaller. Some figures could perhaps have the hat hung on their backs for some variety in the unit - they might look like mushrooms when ranked up :)

It's funny you should say that as the bow isn't even painted, just my shoddy image editing skills but I will make it a dark brown. I think I'll try a green stuffed hat because when it comes down to it, it still looks like an elf wearing a party hat. It's only blu tacked on and it'll come off easily

I had thought about slinging some on their backs.

Now just to find the right material for sproutings of bamboo...

HiredSword.
31-05-2006, 21:42
i do think the hat is too big but the colour scheme is looking good.

I think the wooden areas would look good in streaks of light, khaki brown on top of a darker brown.

modelling some bamboo leaves on some models would be a nice touch, in fact they would look better if you just stamped out some from green paper.

fracas
31-05-2006, 22:35
hat seems ok as it extends to the shoulder
i would do away with the face mask and paint the face black to enhance the shadowing

otherwise very nice

Crazed_monkey
31-05-2006, 23:38
I've made a green stuff version of the hat which I must admit looks a lot better as far as realism is concerned so once its hardened I'll paint it up and tomorrow should finish the entire test model.

When I was moulding the GS hat I was having a bit of trouble getting the right shape so in the end I used the paper one as a frame and using the waywatcher lords bow I made imprints into the hat to give it that woven look.

Kasrkin 666
01-06-2006, 00:09
FINNALY! A Wood Elf project log!:D
Anyway,I like it.I myself am finding it very hard to find a color for my Wood Elves.Good work!:cool:

Wood Elves all the way!

-666:angel:

Orcdom
01-06-2006, 01:33
if you want to make a good mold for this from gs, try taking a 3/8" to a 1/2" drill bit and drill into some metal, that will give you the cone shape you need for the hat and also will be a permanent press type of moldif you used a marble (or something round) to press it in it would give you a concave part that you could either trim out the green stuff with another drill bit or just shave the plastic head till it fits right.

if you go with this type of mold you could mass produce the hats for a whole army and not be so daunting and also not get bored.

go to a good hardware store or a place for like Farm Equipment supplies or welding supplies. and you should be able to get a piece of flat metal for just a few dollars where you could make 5, 10 or even 20 molds at once.

and remember all your really after is the cone imprint from the drilling. you could even do it in clear plastic, but would probly be better in metal.

Steve

Crazed_monkey
01-06-2006, 16:17
Right so with a bit of green stuff and painting the details here we have the first test mini done (minus base)

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/736/woodie26bi.jpg

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8725/woodie34am.jpg

I'm now working on the list and boy is it hard to choose what kind of highborn and noble you want, theres just so much choice.

Awyway what do you guys think so far? I could see an army of these guys looking nice.

HiredSword.
01-06-2006, 16:21
look at the original photo from the film you posted. the hat extends a bout a head's width out. That hat you modelled is far too big by this scale.

btw, do you go to glasgow school of art or is that just the book you got on the open day? if you do go, what's it like out of interest?

Crazed_monkey
01-06-2006, 16:53
I got it from an open day a year of two ago when I applied.

and I'll have a think about the hat. Right I see what you mean and have trimmed down the test hat.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3761/woodie34zr.jpg

I think it looks a bit better.

Stouty
01-06-2006, 17:04
The hat looks a little thick, perhaps you should try making a wafer thing one. The smaller hat though looks a lot better. I would score the GS in one direction out from the centre of the hat, could look a little neater.

I really like this idea and I'm going to checking this thread a fair bit now.

HiredSword.
01-06-2006, 20:19
that's an improvement :)

but you need to file off a bit of the elfs head so it sits right. take a photo from a few angles, but after that i think it should be poifect.

Quin 242
01-06-2006, 20:27
I thought that the paper hat looked better... Perhaps making it out of card instead of paper would give you the thickness of it...

sorry but your GS hat justy looks like a lump of bark on his head??

Neknoh
01-06-2006, 20:34
I'd paint the hat in brighter collours and try to get it a bit thinner, as of now, it looks a bit like a mushroom when seen from above

Denizen of Athel Loren
01-06-2006, 22:27
Lookin good!:cool:
-DoAL:skull:

Orcdom
01-06-2006, 23:12
DoAL, change your post color, if you expect people to read your posts, post something they dont have to highlight to read it.
Steve

ion Kid
02-06-2006, 20:34
Looks v. nice and much improved but i agree about the thickness (but thats just picky).

iK

kermit
02-06-2006, 21:08
I have not seen this movie. I think I will have to now. I think you have done yourself proud on your recreation of the colour and the look.

I will keep a close eye on your thread to see how it progresses.

Great work!

AventineCrusader
08-06-2006, 04:58
First off, I'm watching the movie right now...

I don't know if anyones mentioned it, but can you say Bamboo Dryads? I think that would be a great addition to the theme of the army. I don't know how precisely, just throwing it out there...

Oh, and I like the test model...

Crusader:D

tzeentchgiant
08-06-2006, 12:54
Cool stuff, and good to see yet another Scot on the boards. I really like what you've done ith the WE's head, but I feel the helmet could be lowered, by cuting off a portion of the top of the WE's hood, so that it sits very low over the face.

Just a thought,

TG

HiredSword.
08-06-2006, 15:51
@ kermit (and for anyone else who's interested), bit off topic but if you want to watch a good film in this kind of genre, then watch Hero, much better imo and simply stunning!

Any progress btw?

Crazed_monkey
08-06-2006, 15:52
I was lurking about town today and went into the art store and something caught my eye.

Dowel, thats what I can use for the bamboo, its not too think and can be painted, once sealed and if I strengthen it I can have the wardancers bouncing off them.

colhodg
08-06-2006, 23:09
hmm, if they're of use i have 5 or so old wardancers minus their heads sitting about (another failed conversion proj). pm me if you're interested - i've no use for them.
The dowel sounds like a good idea - you might want two to a base with the guy leaping inbetween. I'd consider using a larger base depending on how tall you want to make them as they might be a tad unstable otherwise.
What other things - horse archers perhaps?

Crazed_monkey
10-06-2006, 21:41
So after purchasing some dowel and a few lengths of plastic rod (for strength). I got up the courage to chop up the wardancer lord model (took me a while let me tell you!) and now have the finished product, and by finished I mean built.

I will paint it up tomorrow when I goto my club and should have pics by sunday night or sometime monday.

So here she is:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4259/wardancerlord17ij.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2865/wardancerlord27uv.jpg

So waht do you guys think? obviosly once its painted the bamboo will look more bamboo-ish...hopefully.

noneedforaname
10-06-2006, 21:48
remember to sculpt the banding on as this is what helps to make bamboo instantly recognisable.

how are you going to do the leafy tops for the bamboo.

Orcdom
11-06-2006, 05:35
should have used plastic rod, or tubing to get a smaller diameter, looks like a small tree intead of bamboo.

Steve