PDA

View Full Version : Who are the dark eldar pilots?

TheBearminator
13-06-2013, 23:26
The venom models are piloted by wyches. When I assembled my first one I was a bit surprised by this, as wyches in my understanding would want to take active part in the battle. But I thought it was probably not dark eldar tradition that all ships are crewed by wyches but rather I thought it was logical that the wych passengers (the decoration models) would ride to battle with their own kin.

But then I saw the pilot on the Razorwing, who also appears to be a Wych? Why is this? I mean, that poor guy can't possibly come further away from CC than putting his ass in a flyer. What about the raiders and ravagers? From what I've seen they seem to be crewed by kabalites with wyches representing the passengers on the raider?

Are there and fluff on this matter, dark eldar pilots? :)

Radium
13-06-2013, 23:31
Their pilots are usually Reavers who made it big in the arenas and had enough money to buy a jetfighter. For pilots of Venoms and Raiders, I'd assume even Wych cults have plenty of members other than the crazy bunch who jump into combat with everything they see.

Kakapo42
13-06-2013, 23:34
Well I can't say anything for sure about the Venom, buy the Razorwing is not actually piloted by a Wych, it's actually a Reaver. According to the fluff, if a Reaver manages to survive as a jetbike rider for long enough, they can cash in the vast fortune they have amassed and use it to buy a Razorwing jetfighter. As Reavers are obsessed with speed and high-speed warfare, it's natural they'd be very interested in air combat.

Spiney Norman
13-06-2013, 23:54
The venom models are piloted by wyches. When I assembled my first one I was a bit surprised by this, as wyches in my understanding would want to take active part in the battle. But I thought it was probably not dark eldar tradition that all ships are crewed by wyches but rather I thought it was logical that the wych passengers (the decoration models) would ride to battle with their own kin.

But then I saw the pilot on the Razorwing, who also appears to be a Wych? Why is this? I mean, that poor guy can't possibly come further away from CC than putting his ass in a flyer. What about the raiders and ravagers? From what I've seen they seem to be crewed by kabalites with wyches representing the passengers on the raider?

Are there and fluff on this matter, dark eldar pilots? :)

The venom crew were modeled as Wyches to add some variety because the raider crew were modelled as Kabalites, the crew of the various transports is theoretically determined by which of the DE factions controls the transport, i.e which unit it was bought for, so if the venom was purchased for a wych squad it should have wych crew etc, the Kabals don't provide a taxi service for the wych cults you know.

IMHO Jetfighter pilots are Reavers who have climbed a little further up the ladder, thus a wych-suit is appropriate for the pilot.

TheBearminator
14-06-2013, 07:32
Their pilots are usually Reavers who made it big in the arenas and had enough money to buy a jetfighter.

What?! Buy their own jetfighter?! Well. Guess space pirates don't pay taxes. ;)

Kakapo42
14-06-2013, 08:21
What?! Buy their own jetfighter?! Well. Guess space pirates don't pay taxes. ;)

The fuel prices must be enormous though. :p

TheBearminator
14-06-2013, 08:42
The fuel prices must be enormous though. :p

Can't be worse than driving an SUV in Sweden. ;)

Lothlanathorian
14-06-2013, 08:48
IMHO Jetfighter pilots are Reavers who have climbed a little further up the ladder, thus a wych-suit is appropriate for the pilot.

Opinion is irrelevant, the Codex states this as cold fact. :p

TheBearminator
14-06-2013, 18:16
I thinks it looks somewhat stupid though that the pilots should where exactly the same suits/armour/helmets (sometimes with a tiny tweak) as the soldiers on the ground. It's the same with marine pilots. What's the point in that? Now I haven't done military service (as Sweden is such an amazingly neutral country mostly of us don't these days) so I wouldn't know. But shouldn't they're have gear that suits their needs instead?

drmarco
14-06-2013, 18:25
Who says the gear doesn't suit their needs?

Dark Eldar physiology might make what they choose to wear when piloting a craft a matter of sartorial preference.

Marines armour enhances their faculties in all manner of battlefield situations - if it's functional on a land speeder, why not a Thunderhawk?

Also, y'know, cool, unified aesthetics > real world similarity...

This is 40k.

M

Spiney Norman
14-06-2013, 21:23
I thinks it looks somewhat stupid though that the pilots should where exactly the same suits/armour/helmets (sometimes with a tiny tweak) as the soldiers on the ground. It's the same with marine pilots. What's the point in that? Now I haven't done military service (as Sweden is such an amazingly neutral country mostly of us don't these days) so I wouldn't know. But shouldn't they're have gear that suits their needs instead?

I think wych suits are pretty general purpose and look plenty practical enough for both riding a Jetbike and flying a plane. It does make me chuckle to see a space marine in full power armour crammed into the tiny little cockpit of a Nephilim or storm talon it reminds me of a body-builder trying to ride around on a child's tricycle. Clearly a space marine can't even eat lunch without his 3+.

TheBearminator
14-06-2013, 23:13
It does make me chuckle to see a space marine in full power armour crammed into the tiny little cockpit of a Nephilim or storm talon it reminds me of a body-builder trying to ride around on a child's tricycle. Clearly a space marine can't even eat lunch without his 3+.

Agree. What happened to the Aquila lander pilot from their macragge box? He was no marine, he was a frackin' pilot. Can't say the valkyrie pilot and gunner are they great models, but at least they look like they done look like guardsmen.