PDA

View Full Version : So those 40K space elves got a supplement for their codex...

Urgat
15-06-2013, 10:20
Yeah, so I got the GW newsletter, and it was 40K, so my mouse quickly went for the bin button, but then my eyes caught a weird sentence "a codex: Eldar supplement". So I got a quick look. So that book (Iyanden) adds a few things to the regular codex, it seems, most importantly, new rules. I don't care about 40K, but that's pretty nice. But I'm wondering, is it the first of its kind for 40K (it says " a new kind of GW book" so I suppose it is)? Is it even remotely possible we could get something similar for WFB? I don't mean wild speculations, but was there any foretelling of this supplement, any rumours at all, or did it come out of the blue?

AmaroK
15-06-2013, 11:19
This is personal guessing based in no real facts, but I think they must be checking the market with those supplements in order to make them more regular in the future. If we consider the rumours about 9th edition (what happened with that thread, btw?) and all army lists would go into two/three big books, it would make sense to have those supplements with each model wave to expand rules/fluff, as well as going for themed armies. Sylvanian VC? Nuln Empire? Drakwald Beastmen? Caledor High Elves? It could be done easily by GW witout a big investment in distribution and complete those hypothetical big army books. So I would bet we could expect them for Fantasy, but again, this is just whisful thinking (and guessing :p)

Spiney Norman
15-06-2013, 11:27
Back in 3rd edition 40k Eldar got a similar supplement which tweaked the regular Eldar list to allow you to theme your army around the 5 major craftworlds, so its not an entirely new concept, this seems to be a similar thing but just for one craftworld (in a typical display of GW spinning a relatively minor thing out into a 30 book).

I've got to say, I would very much enjoy hearing GW were going to release Marienburg: A supplement for Warhammer Armies: Empire but I'm not sure we're quite there yet. I'm also not sure that this kind of thing would work quite as well for Warhammer as it would for 40k, it doesn't seem to me that there as many established sub-factions within each fantasy army as there typically are in 40k.

I suppose the Empire could be broken down a little (since the current book is very Sigmar/Reikland centric) with supplements for Kislev, Marienburg, Middenland etc, but most of the armies don't have the mileage to be split down further. It would be nice if the Reiksguard weren't the only knights to have their own special rules, so a Middenland supplement could have rules for knights of the white wolf, priests of Ulric and (please, please, please) bring back Teutogen Guard, not to mention special characters that are not themed around Altdorf, like Boris Todbringer, Ar-Ulric etc

AmaroK
15-06-2013, 11:41
But wouldnt be a way to expand it? Rumours said something about moving the fluff, if I remember correctly, and it could be about this. There are plenty of oportunities to do it, even if they are less stablished than in the 40k background. sunken lizardmen city? Khalidas reign? realms of chaos? norse fields? There are many possibilities out there and dreaming is (still) free. :D

Spider-pope
15-06-2013, 12:17
Back in 3rd edition 40k Eldar got a similar supplement which tweaked the regular Eldar list to allow you to theme your army around the 5 major craftworlds, so its not an entirely new concept, this seems to be a similar thing but just for one craftworld (in a typical display of GW spinning a relatively minor thing out into a 30 book).

I've got to say, I would very much enjoy hearing GW were going to release Marienburg: A supplement for Warhammer Armies: Empire but I'm not sure we're quite there yet. I'm also not sure that this kind of thing would work quite as well for Warhammer as it would for 40k, it doesn't seem to me that there as many established sub-factions within each fantasy army as there typically are in 40k.

I suppose the Empire could be broken down a little (since the current book is very Sigmar/Reikland centric) with supplements for Kislev, Marienburg, Middenland etc, but most of the armies don't have the mileage to be split down further. It would be nice if the Reiksguard weren't the only knights to have their own special rules, so a Middenland supplement could have rules for knights of the white wolf, priests of Ulric and (please, please, please) bring back Teutogen Guard, not to mention special characters that are not themed around Altdorf, like Boris Todbringer, Ar-Ulric etc

At the moment, no. But if that rumour about drastically cutting the number of books with the next edition turns out to be true, such supplements would certainly have a place.

Urgat
15-06-2013, 12:34

Why not? The 6th ed books all had multiple alternative lists at the end, some quite extensive like the savage orc horde that added spider riders (they were not in the book back then), savage orc chariots and spider swarms. Even an army I'd admitedly have difficulty dividing in different themes like dwarfs had four lists. The Empire had 6 lists: the Emepror's guard, the Artillery train of Nuln, the Sigmarite army, a Marienburger mercenary army, a Cult of Ulric army and a crusader army.
I think there's plenty of possibilities. The problem is more, will GW expand on the idea? Many hoped we'd have lots of books after SoM and BitBL, but look at the state of things now :/

theshoveller
15-06-2013, 13:22
At the moment, no. But if that rumour about drastically cutting the number of books with the next edition turns out to be true, such supplements would certainly have a place.
In that situation, I can see it, but not until then (and only if the Iyanden experiment is successful). I think GW is probably most interested in rationalising and maximising profits in the (less successful) WFB line.

ihavetoomuchminis
15-06-2013, 13:25
So they're splitting rules and background that should be in 1 book in 2 books....and people thinks it's great. No wonder GW keeps doing well.

valle
15-06-2013, 14:00
So they're splitting rules and background that should be in 1 book in 2 books....and people thinks it's great. No wonder GW keeps doing well.

I thought the exact same thing... And they still havnt updated all the books for 8th yet and we are already hearing about 9th and supplements for the best selling armies.

Last Edition
15-06-2013, 14:19

No, they are giving additional rules and additional background of one specific craftworld; like if the Empire would get an army supplement for the free city of Marienburg - additonal units, rules and in-depth history of that specific city.

I think this is great for the hobby and I hope Fantasy also get some of this treatment. Specific Vampire families, Black Arks of the Dark Elves, and Norse for Warriors of Chaos :)

maze ironheart
15-06-2013, 14:33
No, they are giving additional rules and additional background of one specific craftworld; like if the Empire would get an army supplement for the free city of Marienburg - additonal units, rules and in-depth history of that specific city.

I think this is great for the hobby and I hope Fantasy also get some of this treatment. Specific Vampire families, Black Arks of the Dark Elves, and Norse for Warriors of Chaos :)

I agree hopefully we can see a Empire middenhiem Supplement book I would love to see a vampire blood lines book.

IcedCrow
15-06-2013, 14:39
Some people think gw should cram everything into the one book and then charge as little as possible, otherwise they are a greedy company just concerned about profit. Lol

If you dont need the supplement, dont buy it. If you feel compelled to own everything, thats on you.

Id only be concerned with supplements that id actually use.

snottlebocket
15-06-2013, 14:39
A couple of versions back, Chaos received it's special characters in a supplemental book.

IcedCrow
15-06-2013, 14:40
In 5th edition, the magic rules and spells came in their own box set you had to buy separate.

Chaos had a book of special characters.

Eldar craftworlds had supplemental books.

Extra marine chapters as well.

Doommasters
16-06-2013, 01:05
I like white dwarf updates but prefer it when it is lined up with a codex update in the near future. Woc is a classic, white dwarf releases skull crushers every woc player buys the models. Army book tones them down as they are way op. it is a good way to give an army a boost in sales without a full book release, but would prefer the new at book came out within 12 months to tie everything to one place.

Leave forge world to release alternative faction and campaign books.

Carry around folders with army books, white dwarf rules, FAQ and alternative rule books starts to take its toll. That why I am a fan of army books being all inclusive it just makes life and playing easier.

JWhex
16-06-2013, 05:00
In 5th edition, the magic rules and spells came in their own box set you had to buy separate.

Chaos had a book of special characters.

Eldar craftworlds had supplemental books.

Extra marine chapters as well.

Well the craftworlds were all in one rather cheap supplemental codex. If the book makes a lot of money we might see them in fantasy. We already have the supplemental skaven, empire and HE books. Those are pretty weaksauce in my opinion though and dont add any rules. For 50 dollars I would need to have quite a bit more for an army than is present in the Iyanden book though. With the edition reset looming I sure would not buy an expensive supplement at this time. Racking up $100 in books at the end of an edition has no appeal to me.

sulla
16-06-2013, 05:22
Why not? The 6th ed books all had multiple alternative lists at the end, some quite extensive like the savage orc horde that added spider riders (they were not in the book back then), savage orc chariots and spider swarms. Even an army I'd admitedly have difficulty dividing in different themes like dwarfs had four lists. The Empire had 6 lists: the Emepror's guard, the Artillery train of Nuln, the Sigmarite army, a Marienburger mercenary army, a Cult of Ulric army and a crusader army.
I think there's plenty of possibilities. The problem is more, will GW expand on the idea? Many hoped we'd have lots of books after SoM and BitBL, but look at the state of things now :/I think the level of established background and detail in 40K is so great that the job is easier done in that setting than in fantasy.

Think of the Ork tribes compared to the fantasy O&G tribes for example; Snakebites vs Goffs etc. Those are very well defined concepts compared to the fantasy tribes. The same applies to the Eldar craftworlds compared to, say the DE or HE cities.

The level of detail as well, is at another level. Take space marine chapters. They have a basic colour scheme, squad specific colourings, unique numbering/marking systems for many chapters already. The Empire in fantasy, has relatively simplistic differentiations; colourings and slight army composition differences.Other than Middenheim, the Empire troops don't even really look different from each other.

None of these things mean it's not possible for fantasy, but they do mean it's more difficult. And since fantasy sells less than 40K, it probably means more work for less money. I hope they do get around to it. I'd love to see a Druchii beastmaster list, a Sylvanian armylist or a Norscan raiding force or something that can't quite be built by a standard armybook. Or any book that expands the (frankly quite thin) background of the warhammer world.

shortlegs
16-06-2013, 08:17
To be honest, they can release as many number of books or supplements as they want. The only thing that truly matters is well-written rules.

Even if they made multiple books for every faction, but the rules are well-written and balanced, I will still be willing to spend the money to buy them. If they wrote just 1 book for all armies, even if its the cheaper alternative, but if the rules are crappy, poorly written and full of ambiguities (like many of them are so prone to do so), then it wouldn't be worth it to buy even that 1 book.

In terms of getting what I pay for, its the quality of the work itself that counts, not the flashy pictures, colored pages or shiny paper.

AmaroK
16-06-2013, 09:43
Well, is not only about the way to do it (army books, supplements, WD...) but also about doing it right. Id prefer a more stable ruleset and army books as we have now, but it has a lot of problems as well. Supplements and a single book or two for all the lists can be a solution, but it can also makes the rules too disperse and hard to follow, specially when you are going out of the hobby for a while (and this happens sometimes). It can also be problematic if they charge too much for those supplements... But we can not know if we dont see it first, and if its done correctly, it can bring us good studf as well.

Horus Lupercal
16-06-2013, 10:15
It gets me that they are listing it as a new kind if GW book.

Back a while ago Blood angels was a Codex SM supplement. You also had the Craftworld Eldar book.

I'm sure there are others I have fogotten.

Captain Collius
17-06-2013, 16:05
Caledor High Elves?=)

Twitches***

I know its only a dream list but SO MUCH WANT!!!!!!

EHm

I think the idea is feasible and the success of this book will largely determone whether or not we do get more such books.

Blinder
17-06-2013, 16:06
It gets me that they are listing it as a new kind if GW book.

Back a while ago Blood angels was a Codex SM supplement. You also had the Craftworld Eldar book.

I'm sure there are others I have fogotten.

On the other hand, many of GW's notion of "current" players weren't around for any of that, so pitching it as "new" rather than "we're going back to something you have no attachment to" probably sounded like it would make the whole thing more interesting.

For 40k I'm liking the general idea as it will hopefully mean less time is sunk reinventing the wheel for every variant marine list and more time creating variant everything else lists. I'm still skeptical that things will really work out this way, but at least the whole "solid core book + flavor" arrangement has the potential to make the differences actual differences, rather than just "marines +1."

For Fantasy... I kind of agree that there isn't as much room for variation, but at least for the Empire book some "minor" adjustments can yield a bunch of factions... VC's could get some interesting specifics as well. I think they'd probably have to stretch to make multiple volumes aside from some of the Empire stuff though, I'd expect something more along the lines of the old Craftworlds book if this sort of thing comes to Fantasy as there is already arguably a larger "base" to draw from. Of course, I won't be surprised if we see three pages of rules in what are otherwise art/story books (which the eldar thing strkes me as already).

IcedCrow
17-06-2013, 16:11
I disagree that fantasy doesn't have room for this variation. There is tons of room for this variation. This is basically what the old appendix lists were. And each army had many appendix lists in the back of their book.

Vampire counts - you have a book for each bloodline if you wanted with bloodline specific powers. You have the von carstein list with human militia representing the province.
Empire - you have a middenheim list. You have a nuln list. You have a kislev list. You have an ostermark list. Etc... each province can be made more unique.
Chaos - books dedicated to each power. New models. new units etc... (just like in 40k you can have legion books as space marines already get whole books to individual chapters)
High Elves - you have caledor, you have the various provinces with their own flavor
Dark Elves - same as high elves

We can go on and on. This could add a ton of variety to the game and I'm all for anything that mixes things up.

Lastavenger
17-06-2013, 16:49
For Fantasy... I kind of agree that there isn't as much room for variation, but at least for the Empire book some "minor" adjustments can yield a bunch of factions... If really want to do you can do for nearly any army. Brets could get Erranity War list (all knights) , Peasant Rebel army (no knights) and Parravon book (lot of flying units, damsels o Pegasus, Hipogryph knights, ability to form lances from peg knights ). For Orcs you could have Black Orcs (Black Orcs in core, posibility to take BO big'uns, BO boar riders) tribes or Forest Goblin one (lots of poisoned attacks).

wilsongrahams
19-06-2013, 21:20
I would love seperate books, but unfortunately I agree that fantasy does not have the fluff to do this. The majority of such a book would be the same as the Uniforms and Heraldry books, High Elves, Empire and Skaven have. The rules part would be like those old 6th ed lists with maybe a special character or two from each city. The problem with this, is that the way fantasy works, with a large pool of magic items and that you customise your character far more than just basic equipment, means that any special characters would not actually be all that special. The ones that are included tend to bring something that you cannot do normally, or do better. 40K characters do not have special items and hence why they can have more special characters with their better equipment - th 40k equivalent of magic items. The rest of the army would of course be just cut up from the main army list. That Caledor list - Well, Princes, Mages, Dragon Mages, Spearmen and Draon Princes are all you would really expect. All you could really add is variants like lighter cavalry which are just silver helms by a different name, dragon riders, which would probably just be in the main book anyway. I could go on, but I just see that named units such as those in the uniforms books would simply add a single rule and a whole book for a cut down army book, with pages taken from the uniforms book, and just a few lines of new unique material would feel like such a disappointment and I would prefer nothing to that.

I guess the other issue is with models - An Eataine High Elf list allowing Spearmen to take Halberds to be a unique unit, would be nice, but then there are no models for it. Fantasy relies more on the models than 40k which has so many special rules, and every unique unit would need such an upgrade kit or whatever or it would not actually be unique.

Of course the majority of this suggestion can already be done - by only using choices that are from your province or fit an established fluff. Fantasy no longer uses the force organisation chart system we had in 7th and that 40k still uses, and so you can practically max out on anything you like as it is. Some armies struggle more when they have cheaper elite units, but nothing that needs a book - a simple question before a game - would you mind if I use my themed list? - would suffice. The only thing an official GW list would do is dictate what can and cannot be used - something that themed lists often fall short on. A player that really wants a themed list will stick to what fits. Whilst a cannon is useful, that Carstein and Empire allied list would not work that well as Sylvania is not Nuln!

Scammel
19-06-2013, 22:06
I have to say I'm amongst those who don't really see this happening for Fantasy, there just isn't enough meat to make the dish so to speak. Really, a lot of these themes, provinces and tribes can be quite happily surmised as 'They have a preference for a certain Special unit'.

Urgat
19-06-2013, 22:59
I don't really see how it's different for 40K, though. Does it introduce new units or anything? Is it so different than one of the 6th ed back lists? It's not just about maxing out, the old lists also changed the chart, for instance, moving the boar boyz to core and removing all infantry altogether, stuff like that. The worlds edge mountain list allowed big bosses to ride wyverns too, that'd make a pretty different list in 8th ed. It could also easily allow a Throgg-like list for OnG, by adding a "troll general" profile (you don't really need a special model for that guy), and moving reg trolls to core, river and stone trolls to special, and adding somthing to rare, for example, those sea trolls FW are making (Storm of Magic has shown GW are not against using FW models when they want to). People are surprisingly devoid of imagination in this topic, I must say :/ Don't you remember? Storm of Chaos was one big book about alternative lists.

Tau_player001
19-06-2013, 23:19
I don't really see how it's different for 40K, though.

Yes, and remember how successful it was. Same for the craftworld book. The only expansion books that sold really well were the space marine chapters, and that's why we got 7-8 basic armies being space marine chapters now. Because they were successful enough to expand or keep supporting them. At the end, it's not about it being good or bad, but if it's really profitable or not.

Kneedles
20-06-2013, 00:13
The book is purely a ploy to get people to buy more wraithguard and the new wraithknight, as well as another $50 book. The rules part from what I have been told is mostly just a rearrangement Hq / Elites / Troops /FA / HS, but that was from an Eldar player - I do not play 40K myself.

For Fantasy, I'd much rather get a new army book for all the factions than a supplemental army book when Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Bretonnia and arguably Beastmen Skaven and Dark Elves need revisions.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-06-2013, 05:32
Every book is a "ploy" (attempt?) to make people buy models...this isn't exactly a revelation, so what's its significance in this case? Do you think it is too little value for that price tag?

I think the idea has a lot of merit for Fantasy. There definitively is enough meat from a fluff point of view, and of course new books can add new fluff, too.

Kneedles
20-06-2013, 06:23
Every book is a "ploy" (attempt?) to make people buy models...this isn't exactly a revelation, so what's its significance in this case? Do you think it is too little value for that price tag?

I say it is a ploy to get Eldar players to by more of certain specific models. Why Iyaden? Because of the new Wraithguard and Wraithknight. They could have picked Saim-Hann, which would be a vehicle and jetbike heavy army but would also have vastly different force organization charts. They did not, they picked Iyanden because of those two new kits they made.

And if I remember from several Codex: Eldar's ago, you probably have to use wraithguard as troops, so you need at least two boxes.

I guess most of my cynicism comes from frustration that 40k and Fantasy are on alternating instead of independent release schedules. In my mind, this delayed Fantasy releases to get Eldar players to buy a fluff book that could have been included in White Dwarf over a few issues, or available online, or included as optional army lists at the back of the Eldar Codex. Does this mean that each craftworld will get it's own book? What about Space Marines? Imperial Guard? I don't like the continuing trend of dragging out releases.

But they still get money from me, and I guess once Lizardmen comes out I'll be buying whatever the stupid expensive montrous cav kit and the monster kit and whatever else I don't own that doesn't stink.

Urgat
20-06-2013, 06:37
I say it is a ploy to get Eldar players to by more of certain specific models. Why Iyaden? Because of the new Wraithguard and Wraithknight. They could have picked Saim-Hann, which would be a vehicle and jetbike heavy army but would also have vastly different force organization charts. They did not, they picked Iyanden because of those two new kits they made.

And that's what any sensible company does, trying to capitalize on new products. Sometimes people here seem to forget that GW is a company, not the happy world of the carebears. I'll say I do find it quite a bit... her... GW-like to sell it the same price as the codex, when there's 30 pages less or something.

I guess most of my cynicism comes from frustration that 40k and Fantasy are on alternating instead of independent release schedules. In my mind, this delayed Fantasy releases to get Eldar players to buy a fluff book that could have been included in White Dwarf over a few issues, or available online, or included as optional army lists at the back of the Eldar Codex.

I don't think anything got delayed, I haven't checked, but I seem to remember we're still on the schedule speculated by H&H.

m1acca1551
20-06-2013, 07:58
I'd say yes to this!! There is room and potential!!!

Empire can easily accomadate this,
- stirland gets access to cheaper core infantry yet pays more for techy units or they become restricted to certain amounts representing stirlands rural culture, river patrol units are included, heavy infantry and are stubborn vs undead.

Vampires... Well blood lines obviously :p

So much so little time!! Would be fantastic also as GW would be able to keep up with supply of new miniature or even... Weapon kits, sprues containing new weapons and armour buy the sprue to jazz up your army.

But the big issue is... How much would we pay for such and expansion or supplement? I wouldn't pay $40 for it, 20 would be enough for a dozen or so pages with rules and maybe a new story\fluff.

Wesser
20-06-2013, 10:10
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Why oh why isn't White Dwarf an actual hobby magazine which does these kind of things?

I honestly couldn't care less if an army list is totally official (TO might allow them anyway).

What would it take?

Middenheim army list: Make someone write an army list.. maybe just rehash the Storm of Chaos one. Dust off Boris Todbringer, Ulric Priests, Emil Valgeir and Teutogen Guards and post pics and mail order details alongside them. Easy-peasy and you may get to sell a few more miniatures

Lahmian Army: Finecast the old lahmian girls including neferata, include some rules for swains as well as a few suggested models to represent them... and done!

Alas this would require the WD team to work..and it would take space away from advertizing and photos we aren't looking at....

Rakariel
20-06-2013, 11:02
They don`t include it in WDs because then they couldn`t charge that ridicolous amount of money for a supplement. And no, I don`t think that even the increased numbers in WD sales would make up for it. Don`t get me wrong, I very much do like the idea of these sort of supplements and I don`t want em for free neither, I just think they are bonkers for charging the same amount as for a normal AB (which is too much already aswell). I pretty much stopped collecting every AB/Codex because for what they offer, namely some 20ish pages of fluff which is rehashed most of the time anyway and some new rules, there isn`t much to the books. It`s a shame, for me atleast.

Wesser
20-06-2013, 11:23
Hah, did you check the price of a WD lately? Each issue comes with a free kick in the groin

Plus, something posted in WD doesnt really need "support" in the same manner a supplement would

Rakariel
20-06-2013, 11:32
I did check yes. If it would net them more money it would be inside the WD ;)

Tau_player001
20-06-2013, 12:32
It would also alienate a lot of players who doesn't want to have to check "issue XYZ" just to know the rules of unit "A".

It's an awful idea to use WD for that, aside special issues for armies which haven't been updated and stuff like that.

IcedCrow
20-06-2013, 13:19
I am not a fan of using white dwarf for rules because if you don't pick that particular white dwarf up right there and then, you're often hosed trying to find copy of the rules later. Our local forums regularly have people looking for issue X for some obscure set of rules in there.

underscore
20-06-2013, 14:29
I'd say yes to this!! There is room and potential!!!

Empire can easily accomadate this,
Vampires... Well blood lines obviously :p

I don't even think that you have to limit it to a single army. Having a dedicated book for some kind of Unified Chaos or WE/Bret alliance would make for a good accompanying book as well.

quietus1986
21-06-2013, 06:05
maby a book for al the sub factors of the vampire's they had sub facktions :D

Ebon
22-06-2013, 07:15
I think it would work as long as GW did the rules either as a small cheap (5 or under, like the old Codex: Catachans) book or printed them in WD and made them freely available on the website. Of course, that would require GW's website having actual content, which they seem to be opposed to. If they did that, I'd like to see:
- Vampiric bloodline books (I already built a Sylvanian force I can field as VC or Empire).
- Amazons (that I can ally with my LM).
- Books for each Empire province and Kislev (are they a province these days?).
- Southlands Skaven.

Pavisel
22-06-2013, 14:58
I agree that making a worthwhile book for some armies would be tough due to the lack of variety, but why make them each separate books? Why not just a standard supplement that gives something for everybody? Most fantasy players have more than one army anyway, would you rather pay $40 per book to buy each your four armies their special supplement of rehashed fluff, or pay $60 to get some neat rules for each army you own all in one?

I think one of GW's worst mistakes was ditching the yearly General's Compendiums. Those contained alternate army lists, terrain building tips, different scenarios, campaign ideas, special characters, tons of great photos including non-GW paintjobs, sometimes new units. I bought them because no matter what army you owned, there was something useful in it. I think a return to them would be great. Let GW show me how they would kit-bash their terrain kits to make some unique things. Let's see alternate paint schemes or new twists to the same old scenarios. That little recent supplement for Regiments of Renown? Would have fit perfectly into something like this.

Rather then print 100 copies of a dozen different army supps, print 1000 of the same big book and be done with. SoM was a big hit because it appealed to everybody. BitB not so much, because it focuses only on dwarfs and empire. I certainly bought SoM, but have no interest in BitB because I don't play those armies. Make a book that has bits for all, sell that book to all.